Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:15 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle
Default Is Microsoft Edge actually better performing than Chrome now?

I've noticed on several websites now I am just getting signficantly better performance on Microsoft Edge. I've ran across this 3 seperate times in the last week where I ran a web page on Edge, and all elements loaded and scrolled better and snappier. In my mind Chrome would stay on top forever, and maybe this was just flukes?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:09 AM
Banned

I like it but chrome is my childhood

anyone remember playing Angry Birds on it?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:19 AM
Planar Protector

Despite essentially being little more than a reskin of Chrome Edge is far better.

Chrome idling unused RAM is a nice idea, but it seems to have a flawed implementation and can’t dump that RAN quickly when it is required for an active task. Ms doesn’t seem to do this and seems to run more smoothly. I’m not using high end machines, just laptops with up to 16 gig ram.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

chrome is a disaster but i don't want to diss it, i still use it because i don't want to transition to edge

that said chrome may be slightly more secure

edge and all microsoft stuff been edging into my taskbar lately without my consent

I miss old KDE and Nautilus, again to tired, dead, lazy to install anything or do VMs. Gonna stick with EQ + chrome for p99

would make sense to browse other sites in edge tho, sometimes chrome/eq get wierd especially on media heavy sites that require video acceleration or encoding/decoding? it gets wierd in chrome for sure
Old 12-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Kobold

Chrome has never really been good. Only popular.

Personally I use Firefox.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
chrome is a disaster but i don't want to diss it, i still use it because i don't want to transition to edge

that said chrome may be slightly more secure

edge and all microsoft stuff been edging into my taskbar lately without my consent

I miss old KDE and Nautilus, again to tired, dead, lazy to install anything or do VMs. Gonna stick with EQ + chrome for p99

would make sense to browse other sites in edge tho, sometimes chrome/eq get wierd especially on media heavy sites that require video acceleration or encoding/decoding? it gets wierd in chrome for sure
not a bad dad pun, but a bit in your face eh?

Im kinda with you though, it's hard to change, I basically remember giving up microsoft explorer for chrome like 15+ years ago and was like, yeah google is focused on end user experience. Plus with Gmail basically being the standard and googles fingers in the everyday apps, you feel like you should be able to trust it to stay on top. But I am beginning to think I need to move to Edge.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:47 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tip. Im going to try it. Firefox is ok but less ram is better.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Are you using the new Chromium-based Edge? That may explain your experience.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-00010dba52cf

-Mcoy
Old 12-27-2020, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

i have brand loyalty to the bone. I didn't give up IE until about 9 years ago. Chrome was amazingly faster at that point.

Is the jump to Edge going to be that much of a difference or only a slight difference?

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 12-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i have brand loyalty to the bone. I didn't give up IE until about 9 years ago. Chrome was amazingly faster at that point.

Is the jump to Edge going to be that much of a difference or only a slight difference?
i pulled the trigger and imported my bookmarks to see if any QoL drops after using for the next week or so. Once i signed into my regular bookmark apps(p99, twitch, youtube, gmail) they are all running quite a bit more smoothly it feels. And I would say the optimization for several other sites I've been to have been glaring, will have to test and feel it out.