Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:00 AM
Sarnak

I fail to see the relation between the 2...
Muzzle of Mardu at 55 or some cold nukes from lvl1-> 60?

that's a very weird alternative �� as if Mages pet needed some more haste on top of BO
Old 06-10-2021, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

It was a joke.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It was a joke.
Yeah I got that, but when it comes to magicians and EQ devs, I still have a lot of unanswered questions [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and you may very well be spot on
Old 06-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rangers suck ass
Youre wrong.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rangers suck ass
i mean they're great speedbumps in the raid scene

otherwise, your statement is correct
Old 06-11-2021, 10:53 PM
Skeleton

I'm a huge classic idealist and traditionalist, but I actually wouldn't mind some melee buffs. It will never happen though, the trade off is too great for most people. But my god it'd be great to have something perfectly classic like p99, except for small buffs for melee classes. But it's just too complicated of a problem and it'd take a genius to find a way to keep EQ classic and buff melee without sacrificing classic EQ integrity.

Basically, just don't play a melee unless you have good friends to play with regularly, or you have tons and tons of plat to twink and pay for PL till 50+, where getting a group seems way easier for tanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This actually reminds me of an uproar back in the day on the official EQ forums in classic when people realized a lvl 50 necro pet could solo a lvl 50 warrior. People started crunching the numbers and realized many stats didnt actually do what they were supposed to do and were worthless.
Sorry for the necro, but this brought back huge memories. This was a BIG deal. It causes an uproar all across Everquest. Everyone heard about it on every server. Wasn't there an example of a level 50 warrior getting stomped by a sand giant and a level 50 necro pet STOMPING a sand giant? It caused the first necro pet nerf. the very first necro pet ever was so ridiculous, it hit for high 80's I think? It was nuts.

Everquest has never been fair for melee, they simply weren't designed well. But it's a huge reason why playing melee can be so damn rewarding and why twinking them is so fun and why gearing them is so rewarding.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on the target too, mages being limited to fire and magic nukes. I yet have to understand why we don't have a single frost based DD...
Because Wizards were supposed to be the magic damage dealing class and needed something to differentiate themselves from mages. That's why only wizards get Fire, Ice ,and Magic based damage spells and have the lowest resist spells for those types of damage. Does it come close to making up for not having pet? No, mages still have Malo which makes their spells land better anyway, cause that makes sense right?
Old 06-22-2021, 12:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because Wizards were supposed to be the magic damage dealing class and needed something to differentiate themselves from mages. That's why only wizards get Fire, Ice ,and Magic based damage spells and have the lowest resist spells for those types of damage. Does it come close to making up for not having pet? No, mages still have Malo which makes their spells land better anyway, cause that makes sense right?
Not compared to Lures... not by a long shot.

Conceptually, it just doesn't seem fitting that the class who's description revolves around the elements can't cast any spells other than a pet that are #NotFireorMagic.

Back to the topic at hand, I wonder how much better it would feel for melee classes if spell components were much rarer than they currently are (not Kunark+ spell drops, I think those seem to be about right)? Think about it, where a melee class progresses through equipment, a caster progresses through spells. No amount of equipment is going to make a wizard cast Ice Shock any faster or have it hit any harder. But get the mats for Ice Comet and you've now got that potential.

Many key spells for INT casters are gated behind research, but by the end of Vanilla there are only a couple spells that sell for above 1k (mostly because the materials ARE rare drops *cough* Words of WhatInTarnation *cough*), while melee gear is orders of magnitude more expensive.

Or make it the anti-mischief server. Spell drops and components are on specific mobs (or at least specific areas) that then become contested and much more expensive as a result.

Not that we'd ever see this here, but it's an interesting thought experiment to me.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not compared to Lures... not by a long shot.

Conceptually, it just doesn't seem fitting that the class who's description revolves around the elements can't cast any spells other than a pet that are #NotFireorMagic.

Back to the topic at hand, I wonder how much better it would feel for melee classes if spell components were much rarer than they currently are (not Kunark+ spell drops, I think those seem to be about right)? Think about it, where a melee class progresses through equipment, a caster progresses through spells. No amount of equipment is going to make a wizard cast Ice Shock any faster or have it hit any harder. But get the mats for Ice Comet and you've now got that potential.

Many key spells for INT casters are gated behind research, but by the end of Vanilla there are only a couple spells that sell for above 1k (mostly because the materials ARE rare drops *cough* Words of WhatInTarnation *cough*), while melee gear is orders of magnitude more expensive.

Or make it the anti-mischief server. Spell drops and components are on specific mobs (or at least specific areas) that then become contested and much more expensive as a result.

Not that we'd ever see this here, but it's an interesting thought experiment to me.
One part your missing though is the definition of rare. For example many mage spell components aren’t ultra rare but they are also not easy to get by any means. As the server progresses those components are also harder to find for sale from players as many people think most people who would need them have already leveled past the point where they would and most players also won’t spend the time creating and auctioning a lower level spell because the prices just progressively get cheaper and cheaper as more plat comes into the economy.

So you have a pretty decent lack of supply from player auctions while also having to find some pretty annoying components
Closed Thread