Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Default TAKP CLIENT

How does TAKP have a proper 2002 client to run their server on? Did they obtain it from the official alkabor project management team from Live?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:14 PM
Fire Giant

Think its just steam.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

What do you mean?
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Orc

From what I can understand, The Al'Kabor Project (TAKP) seems to use a reverse engineered version of the then Macintosh-Only client*. The licensing has to have differed from Windows to fit the Mac environment code wise(Mac is *nix based - think GPL ... etc).

Since the Official Mac Server/Project closed (product no longer being used) and the client seems to be reverse engineered from the ground up, they seem to have avoided lawsuit.

The Daybreak client on the other hand is still a current product modified (with permission) down to fit the EQ Emulation Sphere.

* : The then Mac-Only client was a separate entity from the rest of Everquest at that time. People who used that client could only connect to a certain server which got patches and content at different intervals. The box art was even different if I recall.
Last edited by K-EAVKR; 04-19-2022 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: quick edit
Old 04-19-2022, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah the box was completely different and never updated beyond 2002, which is why it is the best museum of that era and any pre-current era we have other than our memories.

But I still don't understand how they got access to that client unless it was already somehow hosted on a volunteer MAC server essentially.

And I don't know what Naethyn was saying.

Also TAKP is open source. We have no idea what kind of "lawsuit" p99 was involved in. Emulating these games happens, because it is legal. It is legal to use the game you paid for. These servers are not allowed to make money from divergent ways of using these game files but the owners of game files like you and I can do whatever the hell we want with them, including connecting to a weird custom server like P99, or TAKP.

Any lawsuit fears are more the fear of just being forced to actually go to court and deal with a pain in the ass, so most of these kinda emulator projects are happy to cease and desist rather than actually fight anything.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:04 PM
Orc

I guess some one just saved the Mac client install media? Perusing TAKP's wiki and forums it does seem substantially easier to obtain the EQ Mac than Everquest Titanium Edition. In 2005-ish Sony Online Entertainment made the Mac client a free download, although a monthly fee was required to play on the server.

If Daybreak Studios ever revived EQ Mac, then I imagine there could potentially be lawsuit territory for distributing the EQ Mac client in such a way they do.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Oh, I was mistaken and thought that someone involved with the Alkabor server had maintained the SERVER side stuff from original Alkabor so the game would operate more like it did in 2002.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Before sunset you did something like downloading Eqmac from Sony or whoever and then pasting a bunch of Titanium files to make it go on PC.

It's really similar to Platinum like Dalaya used to use either way. 👍