Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 10-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Large Rat

Default Looking too come back, have questions

I'm currently waiting to get some funds IRL so I can buy a laptop with the sole purpose of playing p99.. I grew up playing from kunark-pop, can't wait too sink my teeth in, in the mean time I have some questions, I'm not good at navigating forums so I'm sorry if these seem like questions with easy awnsers. I have a ton of raiding experience in eq as well as wow classic (i am a scarab lord)and I'd love to level a character and see all the content. I'm not some scrub
1. What's the current timeline left for green server?
2. Is there an active raiding community(hard-core, semi hard-core, casual?)
3. Im pacific time zone, what's the most active times for people online?
4 sleepers tomb still a possibility?
5. I really want too play a monk, how popular is that class,would I be better off rolling something different or could I get into end game as a monk?

Thank you and look forward too seeing awnsers and possibly seeing you in game
Old 10-13-2022, 07:40 AM
Sarnak

Hey, welcome back. Green is nearing the end of its timeline and the plan we're told is that it will merge with Blue in January at the earliest and a new Green server will be launched. There's a good mix of guilds on any server from casual to batphone guilds. As for preferred classes maybe that depends on the guild, I think if you meet the level and gear requirements if any you can generally play whatever you want.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:22 AM
Banned

I can really only reliably answer one of these questions.

Monks are very popular, as well as very powerful. A lot of people consider them to be OP in the Velious expansion.

They are probably the best melee option when considering a good all-arounder class.

That being said - melee in general isn't the most ideal class choice as your beginning starter class.

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fine to do so - but you might ease into EQ faster and smoother with a caster class.

Another head's up, people typically expect Monks to pull mobs for the group - so it's usually good to know the zones you're in.

I started EQ playing a Rogue, who happens to be the worst solo class in the game. I didn't know that at the time and I think I would have done something for my main if I could do it over again.

You'll most likely end up playing a lot of different classes though, so not a big deal.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. What's the current timeline left for green server?
Green and Blue are both effectively at the end, no more updates. There is talk of a new Green server, what that means isn't clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. Is there an active raiding community(hard-core, semi hard-core, casual?)
Yes to all of these.

Quote:
3. Im pacific time zone, what's the most active times for people online?
I would say normal busy times, evenings, after work until midnight ish.

Quote:
4 sleepers tomb still a possibility?
Yes, but THE Sleeper was awakened. https://wiki.project1999.com/Sleeper's_Tomb

Quote:
5. I really want too play a monk, how popular is that class,would I be better off rolling something different or could I get into end game as a monk?
Monk is a great starter class. Gear required to do well is very low. Only downfall is it is hard to make money on a monk. Play what you want.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:09 PM
Kobold

Try out some toon combinations until you find the right class/race you want to play with and the right stat, religion and face combo you want (you can't change faces once selected). Then save it for the next announced server and play any other class and screw around. I've got a level 6 shaman and a level 3 necro I want to play with on blue server but I'm screwing around with other stuff until the announcement. Well, hopeful of the announcement.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:13 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn’t wait till an announcement. Just play.

Next server will come later. Don’t waste your life. If you’re ready to play, play.

These servers are insanely good and closer to classic eq than exists anywhere else in the universe right now. Enjoy them. Hope for a new server in some future but in the mean time, get good and make friends, both of which will make your time better when you play a fresh start.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:48 PM
Kobold

I'm not saying don't play but some people have burned out on a particular class/race combo before starting a new server. Maybe that doesn't apply to the thread maker but it can to others who haven't stopped playing classic servers. But your advice certainly has value.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:10 AM
Orc

Play now, considering I know there's ppl who aren't even interested in quitting blue yet let alone green, the games are still great fun vs. not playing by a landslide. Most players will endure an opportune fresh server, but not everyone, also people will revisit developed characters on prior servers while advancing new low levels on a new server, alot of players are casuals and don't want to try-hard their entire p99 career. I'll still be playing my green characters when a new server drops aside from making one main and one alt slowly on a new server most likely.
Casters are simply easier to learn the game with and gain cash, more situationally viable in most scenarios and zones if not all, and have tricks and utilities to gain an advantage that melee classes must cleave through without the benefits of. Nothing against melee classing, we need them to prevail after all. My main toon is actually the most arguably grueling and difficult to learn the game with and main with, especially on an Iksar at that (Due to more limited plate armor options vs. other races) but the risk vs. reward and difficulty learning and mastering sections of content is very fulfilling and satisfying.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:13 PM
Kobold

I took your advice and came back to Green. I've been in limbo for awhile waiting for the new server and checking out lesser emulated servers. I'm happy I took your advice and came back.