Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 08-24-2022, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We should NOT forgive student loans.

We SHOULD prevent them from being a thing for future generations.

If you want forgiveness, win a class action lawsuit.
What if we don't forgive them but permanently pause repayment requirements without ever saying so?
Old 08-24-2022, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like forgiveness but with that little nagging voice in the back of your head that whispers "they own you..."

The truth is we should absolutly just prevent future victims, and ignore past victims.

The best argument for fixing it against people who have paid them off already, "what you dont want to cure cancer because you beat cancer?!?!"

how about, "what you dont want to cure cancer unless they cure YOUR cancer??" as a retort.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:50 PM
Banned

That would be even cooler and would not even require legislation

It's kind of what I do with medical debts and what a lot of us do with actual health problems
Old 08-24-2022, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

ExtinctionExecutive rebellion.
Old 08-24-2022, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sexist Elizondo purposely omits in his own article major blinding reason.

“Because of factors like the gender pay gap, debt that could be manageable ends up becoming unmanageable, particularly for women.”
Gender Pay Gap is a myth

Hope that helps

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/bo..._gendergap.pdf

Quote:
Mechanically, the earnings gap can be explained in our setting by the fact that men take 48% fewer unpaid hours off and work 83% more overtime hours per year than women. The reason for these differences is not that men and women face different choice sets in this job. Rather, it is that women have greater demand for workplace flexibility and lower demand for overtime work hours than men. These gender differences are consistent with women taking on more of the household and childcare duties than men, limiting their work availability in the process
Old 08-24-2022, 02:00 PM
Banned

I just checked, the average student loan debt amount is like 28k. And you get 20k if you make less than 125k and had a Pell grant

So, yeah, hopefully a good chunk for the majority. Shrewd but obviously practical. That's not nothing.

I paid about 15k in total over the years, and no, I am sure I don't get reimbursed but whatever, I'm not selfish or myopic.

Interesting that feeble minded and short sighted conservatives who oppose a plan like this apparently would take the tack of "I had to pay x, where's my money?" while simultaneously opposing anything that resembles affirmative action or reparations

Gosh, I wonder what the differences are between the sets of people who benefit from student debt forgiveness and those whose ancestors were slaves between like 1700 and 1865
Old 08-24-2022, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gender Pay Gap is a myth

Hope that helps

But do you have a wife or girlfriend?
Old 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just checked, the average student loan debt amount is like 28k. And you get 20k if you make less than 125k and had a Pell grant

So, yeah, hopefully a good chunk for the majority. Shrewd but obviously practical. That's not nothing.

I paid about 15k in total over the years, and no, I am sure I don't get reimbursed but whatever, I'm not selfish or myopic.

Interesting that feeble minded and short sighted conservatives who oppose a plan like this apparently would take the tack of "I had to pay x, where's my money?" while simultaneously opposing anything that resembles affirmative action or reparations

Gosh, I wonder what the differences are between the sets of people who benefit from student debt forgiveness and those whose ancestors were slaves between like 1700 and 1865
Why stop at Student Loans?

Why not forgive ALL Debt held by every American
Old 08-24-2022, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizondo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why stop at Student Loans?

Why not forgive ALL Debt held by every American
Yes, sounds good. It's mostly just numbers in software anyways.

Not a deal breaker if I can't get it, but I think we oughta reverse means-test it, ignore the debt of anyone with a net worth over ten million, but yeah, otherwise sounds good.

Reiwa referred to me as an economist, you can trust that I've crunched the numbers
Old 08-24-2022, 02:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Gender Pay Gap is a myth

Hope that helps

Did you read your own article???

Quote:
... Analyzing two policy changes, we demonstrate
that while reducing schedule controllability can reduce the earnings gap, it can also make workers—particularly female workers—worse off...
In short see

Why Do Women Earn Less Than Men? Evidence from Bus and Train Operators

Same author.