Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 10-26-2022, 08:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
duels are trash, the fun part about everquest is the open world pvp, not signing up for a duel ... the more dirty the pvp gets the better it is, the more angry people become the more fun the game is, you cannot simulate this in a quick way but people need to have a massive amount of time invested into the server for it to happen organically, that is the elfsimulator we love.

where is rogean, has he left us? nilberg wru? we have been abandoned bros, bless brad for he would not abandon us, may he snort the finest colombian white in heaven
I agree but I see dueling as a means to raise enough interest in this server that I care enough to do more. Talking to my own crew I'm leaning towards the scaled damage idea and no level range pvp with permadeath (back to level 1) and fast exp/mob damage.

What I want out of a server is something I can play on while having a life. Progression based PvP requires dedication and time a lot of people don't have. Enter dueling, scaled damage, and fast exp. If you can send someone back to level 1 and full loot them that should appeal even if it only takes them 1-2 days to get back to 50+ instead of weeks. On the flip side if you get sent back to level 1 it sucks but you know you're not out so much effort that you just quit playing. Same with if you don't want to play for awhile, take that 3 month break, you can come back and be relevant in PvP again in 1-2 days not outgeared and hopelessly behind likely forever until the server becomes stale and dead and you finally catch up.

My ideal goal at the moment is to be able to zone into Arena and the server backs up your persistent character save. You can participate in duels there as described. If you leave the Arena to a non-instanced zone it reloads your persistent save and you can play the permadeath open world ruleset.

Duels is also a mechanism to increase interest among the wider EQEmu community. A lot of blue players would try PvP but not with the time commitments involved to learn. Imagine you're a fresh PvP player and you get beat up and do a corpse run 10 times. You're probably pretty much done at that point. You have no opportunity to learn stacking buffs, jousting, and all the rest of the basic EQ PvP skills you NEED to learn to have a chance. If blue players can come duel during idle time without all the bullshit and have a chance to learn they're more likely to participate in PvP in the future.

And I'll just say it I don't even like progression. I don't know what era or how exactly but I'd rather there be no progression. My own preference is something like permanent Kunark era from the start and custom PvP focused itemization on increasingly difficult raids mobs. Some people like Velious, some like PoP, whatever.

That's another part of the dueling concept. What would actually work for EQ PvP? What needs to be adjusted? People have mentioned bind rushing and other common bullshit. Dueling allows quick testing of resists, damage scaling, and other aspects of PvP to arrive at a some kind of ideal that could possibly sustain a population. Take "bowquest" as an example, things like that should be exposed and the meta shifting enough through dueling to see where changes should be made. It's an easier way to get data than a distributed open world PvP situation and the server owners personal preferences of how much bullshit is appropriate to suit their own taste.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

I’ll spend time dueling
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I want out of a server is something I can play on while having a life. Progression based PvP requires dedication and time a lot of people don't have. Enter dueling, scaled damage, and fast exp. If you can send someone back to level 1 and full loot them that should appeal even if it only takes them 1-2 days to get back to 50+ instead of weeks. On the flip side if you get sent back to level 1 it sucks but you know you're not out so much effort that you just quit playing. Same with if you don't want to play for awhile, take that 3 month break, you can come back and be relevant in PvP again in 1-2 days not outgeared and hopelessly behind likely forever until the server becomes stale and dead and you finally catch up.
this sounds real fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

i like the idea of big loots from pvp , maybe let players do a quest that makes one item a heirloom so it stays with them no matter what/spawns with them, like soulbound, respawns with them, only 1 item tho at a time and u can switch it if u want, make it cost a ruby or few rubies or something neat where u do a short quest to get items and pvp would center around those camps too
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-26-2022 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-26-2022, 11:26 PM
Planar Protector

I love the dueling idea you have azxt.

Id love to log in and just que up for a duel!

fuck you haters im casual scum af
Old 10-26-2022, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That's another part of the dueling concept. What would actually work for EQ PvP? What needs to be adjusted?
I have a feeling quite a bit.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Sarnak

Dueling server would be a waste of time. There have been servers like this and they last a few days. Very quickly people lose interest and there is no one to duel.

There is a community of people that play new servers about every year. They usually last 3-9 months before it is time for a reset. If you make a new server there would be people to play around on it but if there is no pve progression it won't last but a week or two.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

I'll be honest I'm one of those scummie bluebies for which pvp is sorta the side game for me. I did enjoy it. It's boring as my main focus tho.

Hence I'm not much of a duelist.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

I agree that dueling isn't going to keep people on for multiple hours back to back to back, it isn't EQ there isn't the progression and all the other things that make the game interesting.

But it would be fun to go fight and play around. So do it and ill come on.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raclen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dueling server would be a waste of time. There have been servers like this and they last a few days. Very quickly people lose interest and there is no one to duel.

There is a community of people that play new servers about every year. They usually last 3-9 months before it is time for a reset. If you make a new server there would be people to play around on it but if there is no pve progression it won't last but a week or two.
if done well what if it replaced /gems on p99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-27-2022, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Ya could just jump in the duel queue while medding good stinkin
Lost but not forgotten.