Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 10-30-2022, 05:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Too Many people here are obsessed with getting their Epic. The epics aren't really that amazing. Despite calling them an Epic Quest, they don't actually make your character "Epic". A Enchanter with/without the Epic is till the most powerful class in the game. The Shaman still 2nd most powerful with/without epic. 3rd for necro and on and on. Epic is just nice little item. No of them really game changers in any form.
WTF you talking about?

Enc epic is a living snake staff - a clear reference to Moses channelling god-like power.

The real question, is why the snake staff - a symbol of medicine - isn't the epic for a healer class (like shaman or cleric).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-30-2022, 06:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WTF you talking about?

Enc epic is a living snake staff - a clear reference to Moses channelling god-like power.

The real question, is why the snake staff - a symbol of medicine - isn't the epic for a healer class (like shaman or cleric).
Okay? What does the epic's appearance have anything to with it capabilities. It could littearly look like a piece turd for all I care. I'm only concerned with what the epic actually does. Does it give a massive advantage to a player or it just a stupid trophy that does a lil mana free clickie? The Fungi is more of Epic item IMO, than any actual epic and it littearly looks like a cloth shirt. Arguable looks like piece of shit item, but is a game changer for any character that has one.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Snakes are strongly associated with deception all the way back to biblical story, and in the case of hooded snakes (cobras) particularly, with seemingly hypnotizing or mesmerizing their prey. It very much fits for the enchanter class.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:11 AM
Planar Protector

On an unrelated note (hence separate post), you are correct that a lot of "epic" weapons, aren't. They weren't originally called that by the Verant, either. That was a community-driven term that eventually became standard. They were added, really, as a result of the popularity of the paladin's Fiery Avenger quest. Essentially Verant decided to give everyone a similar lengthy quest for a high-quality weapon that had a visible particle effect.

Danth
Old 10-30-2022, 10:18 AM
Banned

even during live i thought the duck staff was the lamest shit i'd ever seen
Old 10-30-2022, 10:21 AM
Sarnak

No, but they're classic

bye.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by long.liam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay? What does the epic's appearance have anything to with it capabilities. It could littearly look like a piece turd for all I care. I'm only concerned with what the epic actually does. Does it give a massive advantage to a player or it just a stupid trophy that does a lil mana free clickie? The Fungi is more of Epic item IMO, than any actual epic and it littearly looks like a cloth shirt. Arguable looks like piece of shit item, but is a game changer for any character that has one.
So would you proudly use & wield a giant dildo if it's stats & clicky were awesome ?
More power to you, I know I never would. That's not how I imagine a RPG/ MMO character of mine.
For the same reason, and no matter what their ratio / stats can be, I will never use a shovel, shard of night or a shield on a caster

To each his own I guess.

PS: sorry you don't have your epics
Old 10-30-2022, 02:04 PM
Banned

cmon dude ornate runed shield is an exception
Old 10-30-2022, 03:04 PM
Fire Giant

The reason the word epic is used all over the place today is because the guys who made wow did the epic quests in everquest.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet the rogue epic is one of 4 (ragebringer, swiftwind, celestial fist, staff of 4) that never ever gets replaced. Even with full BIS and vyemm+mrylokar offhand, you swap in RB for backstabs. We can get by without any other epic and be pretty effective, even without cleric epics we’d make do. Every other class replaces theirs or doesn’t use at all or isn’t too heavily affected by not using it.

They’re all nice to have though for various reasons and scenarios.
It's interesting that they kept the +atk modifiers on weapons only on the epics whereas you can find it on a few pieces of random gear.