Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 12-05-2022, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mained a shaman pretty hardcore from launch. There was a moment in time where I was a fuckin wrecking ball in pvp. Had all high end raid tier/pvp gear, including two spell damage trinkets from MC/BWL or wherever. Then a deathbringer one hand axe off Ony. Spec was resto until the instant cast trait, then elemental.

With a trinket active, I could hit someone with two lightning bolts, a chain lightning, and an eartshock within the span of less than 2 seconds. If one of two of those crit, it would instant drop a mage or rogue. Then i come in with windfurrys, heals, and warstomp, which is one of the best racial traits in my opinion. 2 second ae stun with a 2 minute cooldown? That's enough time to get in a heal or a nuke.

My roommate at the time was a similarly geared shadow priest. Together we were unstoppable. Almost a shame i never recorded anything.

But yeah then BWL hit and things started going downhill. Final nail in the coffin for me was raid wide totems. Shamans went from being an important part of the fun raid groups like the main tank or rogue groups, to being in the back with the druids and warlocks lol.
Raid wide totems weren't a thing until after TBC. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:21 AM
Fire Giant

Actually, It does help! I meant to type TBC instead of BWL in that statement. Thank you for your help sir!
Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeCat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yet we still see this question asked all of the time and I can't help but wonder if the people who ask that question even know where it originated, or why they're still asking it 20+ years later

Me too. Like who even thought up this world, really? Elves? Where did that come from? So they are saying hmmm, I got it, and eq came out. Fucking brilliant imho. This entire concept basically blew everyone's mind when it appeared out of nowhere in 19 fucking 99.

I sometimes wonder, what were they like, the little people of Verant? What were they trying to tell us?
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-05-2022, 06:56 PM
Banned

Supposedly race mattered quite a lot in the original D&D because it meant only humans, dwarves, halflings, and dwarves had souls

The rest only had spirits, which includes elves of all types. It was originally done to prevent a crafty GM from ruining a campaign by having evil aligned clerics spam “raise dead” on every single dead kobold, orc, and every other enemy. Only people with souls could be resurrected
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 452BBAF8-48AE-4CD8-AE46-DD32A28B1FAF.jpg (19.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes, these were the good ole times

lol what a joke.

Not one clip if this shaman being kited around by a hunter like a bitch. If a hunter skilled at kiting got the jump on a sham in this era there was literally nothing they could do.

Rogues could usually take them out as well.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

although lmao at the druid that baits him into the lava, then survives while the shaman dies
Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Supposedly race mattered quite a lot in the original D&D because it meant only humans, dwarves, halflings, and dwarves had souls

The rest only had spirits, which includes elves of all types. It was originally done to prevent a crafty GM from ruining a campaign by having evil aligned clerics spam “raise dead” on every single dead kobold, orc, and every other enemy. Only people with souls could be resurrected
I played a bit of 2nd ADnD and the DnD red box. Didn't realise this. It is pretty cool! Also perhaps goes some way to explains why in early Warhammer 40K the space elves had spirit stones?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Holy shit didn't know elves were unsouled in d&d.

But let me ask everyone here something, and be honest.

Does frontal stun immunity make you horny? Randy?
Old 12-07-2022, 06:08 AM
Fire Giant

Classic WoW- Had meta class race/combo's that where significantly better than other options (Maybe not as big a difference in classic EQ but Kunark and Velious gear especially made race pretty pointless)

Even recently in WoW there has been specific raid fights that entire guilds Race-changed just to have a certain racial to have an edge on world first..... Not a huge deal for general gameplay and quite literally 0.0001% of the population doing that but still...... I would not say that Race / class combos are pointless in other MMO's
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Old 12-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does frontal stun immunity make you horny? Randy?
Not me, personally. Even though my Shaman is an Ogre.

I like Iksar Necro the best. That HP regen to offset Lich is...*chef's kiss*