Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 05:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Spawn naked, Keep dying, Dont know how to cast spells

Hey Ive never played an Everquest game before. I thought maybe I could just jump in and figure stuff out like I usually do with games. So far I just start out / spawn with no clothes or weapons. I run around and try to attack things but get killed. I haven't killed a single thing. I tried making a new character, assuming maybe it was a glitch or something. But that character also has no clothes or weapons. I cant buy any because I have no gold. I did figure out how to put two spells in my spell book but no idea how to cast them. I'm just getting really frustrated at this point because I just keep dying. I'm going to try to read the instructions more later and also Any help would b awesome thanx!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome!

When you create a new character you will have some food and drink (these help you regenerate hp/mana), a weapon and perhaps a couple of spells in your inventory.

Press 'I' to open your inventory. To equip your weapon, simply click it and then click on your primary slot.

To scribe your spells into your spell book type /book, click the spell scroll in your inventory and then click a slot in the book. Your book has room for 50 pages of spells, which is far more than you need.

At any one time you can memorise a choice of up to 8 spells. To memorise a spell open your book again (/book as before), click the scribed spell you are interested in, then press alt-1 to alt-8 to save it to spell gem 1-8.

To cast that spell stand up and again press alt-1 (or 2,3 ...8: whichever slot you memorised it to).

When you die you will lose everything you have equipped and in your inventory, but you will retain your spell book. To get your things back you need to go back to the place you died, where you will find a corpse containing all your belongings (right click to loot, only you can loot your own corpse). If the body is near an aggressive monster or in a dangerous place, try getting close and typing 'corpse' to summon the body a short distance to yourself.

If this all seems pretty daunting, consider rerolling as a monk. Monks don't use spells, which makes learning the basics more simple, and they are effective at unarmed combat, so perishing and losing your corpse isn't really a big deal.

When it comes to combat, use 'consider' to check the level of a mob (target it and press 'c', or simply right click). If the text is green or blue it is below your level. White matches you, yellow and red mean the mob is higher level than you are (a risky proposition).

Try to fight in places where your enemies won't be able to call on assistance from friends. If you get in trouble you can strafe-run and jump to try make some distance, hopefully getting to a zoneline or guard for safety.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in game. Typing "/ooc I'm new and I've lost my corpse, can anyone help me retrieve it?" will broadcast the message, "I'm new and I've lost my corpse, can anyone help me retrieve it?" to everyone else in the zone.

If you want to fine tune your controls, and see what other controls are available, alt-o opens the options window.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:27 AM
Aviak

There is a wiki for this game that is quite helpful that I recommend you get familiar with: http://wiki.project1999.com/.

There is a newbie guide on the wiki, but I personally don't think it's very helpful. But it's something to get started with since you seem like you are quite new. :http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:...eep_killing_me.

Look for the spell bar on your screen somewhere, and just drag the spells from your book to the bar. That's a more intuitive way to mem your spells. Try and make your way to the newbie yard of whatever town you're in to make sure you're actually killing monsters at your level instead of killing random things (make sure you use consider like suggested above).

If you give more details about what character you are and what city you are starting I am sure people could offer you a lot more help. If you pick a popular, high traffic starting area like Freeport, there will be lots of people going in and out who will be willing to help you if you ask. West Freeport also has lots of weak trash mobs for you to kill with high density.

Some other useful commands you might want to know are /who or just / to know who and what zone you are in.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is to just start in freeport, and /ooc that you are new. There are lots of very, very nice people in P99 who would gladly assist you.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Orc

There's lots of good new player guides out there. A good starting point might be console commands, so you can learn to talk to other people, who can help you learn the game.

I pretty much gave up after my first day playing. Everything I did, killed me. People were even sending me angry tells saying I "trained" them, but I didn't know what that meant or even how to reply. After a day of frustration I said "nope!"

But one of my friends had started playing, and he had a level 6 druid, and offered to show me how to play. He was a halfling druid, so I created a halfling ranger. I just wanted to cast magic spells like him. I gained a few levels but I wanted to be a pure spell caster, so I re-rolled a wizard. Spells! I had lots and lots of spells!

Played the wizard probably to level 10, but I solo'd because I didn't know how to group or where to find a group. I still died all the time, and it was frustrating not to be able to outrun the monsters that killed me every time.

By this time I had read all the new player guides, so I picked the class that got SoW first: the shaman. With a shaman I could cast lots of spells AND run fast!

I liked the shaman so much that I caught up to my friend's druid, and soon we were grouping in Oasis. Complete strangers were helping us learn to play, and giving us some gear. I would stand on the docks and cast SoW for donations while I was LFG, keeping my eyes peeled for giants and other stuff that could wipe out noobies like me. I was in a guild by then, and even though the game was still frustrating, I knew enough people who I could ask for help.

Along the way I made lots of friends, some of whom are still my friends almost 20 years later. The game was hard, but that forced people to band together for survival, and that in my opinion is what made the game great, and why I like P99 so much.

So hang in there, and don't be shy about asking for help. Most of the old timers will bend over backwards to help you, just as there were players to help us years ago.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

If you like, pm me your in game name, I can show you around and how to do things for a bit.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Kobold

We tend to forget how awful the plight of a newbie can actually be. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EQ was never really a "pick up and play" sort of game unless you are already a fully skilled grandmaster at handling frustration. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(Don't worry, it gets better once you figure it all out.)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaraRose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Ive never played an Everquest game before. I thought maybe I could just jump in and figure stuff out like I usually do with games. So far I just start out / spawn with no clothes or weapons. I run around and try to attack things but get killed. I haven't killed a single thing. I tried making a new character, assuming maybe it was a glitch or something. But that character also has no clothes or weapons. I cant buy any because I have no gold. I did figure out how to put two spells in my spell book but no idea how to cast them. I'm just getting really frustrated at this point because I just keep dying. I'm going to try to read the instructions more later and also Any help would b awesome thanx!
Not sure what class you picked, but some clases as a true noobie would be really hard. For instance, I would recommend not picking a wizard. Reason is they are very fragile, and with no gears it would be incredibly long and hard to grind levels as a first toon annd as a true noob.

A druid would be nice with spells, and some melee when you start out. I just recommend a class that can melee when you starting out that will be a big help.

**Druid, shaman would be my recommendation.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 AM
Aviak

Also, u most likely spawned in a city so it is a very good idea to not attack ur people ... most npc/vendor/guildmaster are way to strong for player to try and kill. U will need to go outside and kill some started mobs
Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Sarnak

hey now, everquest is extremely user friendly! compared to meridan59 the only more confusing and frustrating game to start (and what everquest was likely based on).
Old 11-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is the reason Everquest is great.
Closed Thread