Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Don’t reroll, Hide is awesome. I have a dark elf wizard, enchanter, and mage pretty much for that reason. Being able to safely afk while medding is one of the most useful racial abilities IMO.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

hide is terrible for a mage as it kills your pet

only useful if you are literally afk for long time w no pet but just log out maybe at that point
Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hide is terrible for a mage as it kills your pet

only useful if you are literally afk for long time w no pet but just log out maybe at that point
Why would I log out when I want to med 0 to full for a 10+ min afk with hide? If you’re doing solo xp as a mage losing a pet doesn’t matter as you’re reclaiming and not worrying about a max pet.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would I log out when I want to med 0 to full for a 10+ min afk with hide? If you’re doing solo xp as a mage losing a pet doesn’t matter as you’re reclaiming and not worrying about a max pet.
right thats my point

extremely niche situation where its useful as a mage as majority of the time youll have pets out

its only useful to afk med w no pet which I guess has its moments but that shouldnt determine your race...whether you can afk meditate or not
Old 12-18-2019, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
right thats my point

extremely niche situation where its useful as a mage as majority of the time youll have pets out

its only useful to afk med w no pet which I guess has its moments but that shouldnt determine your race...whether you can afk meditate or not
Who are you to say what should and should not cause you to pick a race? I guess you might as well not pick an ogre for FSI, or a troll/iksar for regen while we're at it too.

For those people out there like myself who want to afk med while doing other stuff irl and not having to worry about getting back to the keyboard at a certain time and dying, Hide is one of, if not the most useful racial ability in classic eq.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t reroll, Hide is awesome. I have a dark elf wizard, enchanter, and mage pretty much for that reason. Being able to safely afk while medding is one of the most useful racial abilities IMO.
Dark Elf ability to Hide is probably one of the coolest factors about picking that race. I've gone afk countless times using Hide. It's very useful.

Lets not forget Neriak's proximity to many nearby hunting spots and dungeons. It one of the many reason which I went DE with my Magician. Looks was also a huge factor in it as well. The only downside is that your playing an evil race and that brings issues related with faction and being KOS in a lot of places.

Being a gnome will allow you to wall hack pretty much and use tinkering. You'd be neutral, so you'd be accepted in many cities over a Dark Elf. (If you're Agnostic even more so). Your gnome would be tiny and to many a 'cuteness' factor associated with it.

You could always just make another toon and give it a try as another race to see if you like it?
Last edited by Xruptor; 12-18-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Old 12-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Who are you to say what should and should not cause you to pick a race? I guess you might as well not pick an ogre for FSI, or a troll/iksar for regen while we're at it too.

For those people out there like myself who want to afk med while doing other stuff irl and not having to worry about getting back to the keyboard at a certain time and dying, Hide is one of, if not the most useful racial ability in classic eq.
Agreed it is one of the best racial traits 100%. Hide is useful from 1-60.

The reason I am poo poo ing it as a major factor in racial selection tho is it seems silly to focus on an attribute that benefits you the most not playing the game. FSI and regen are both active abilities that happen while you are playing, to make use of hide you have to have legit AFKs.

Seemed odd to me that we are saying “Hey focus your choice on which race helps you AFK the safest versus which race helps your game time play better”

thats my 2 cents, Im a gnome mage and feel this is best. You can look tru all walls, never need shrink pot to send eyes to zone in and can still loot Guise for DE ultravision and looks.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Erati; 12-18-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

There aren't any game breaking racial decisions for the Magician class like there is for tanks or a class like Necromancer. Choose what you thing is coolest.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 12-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ps: you can bank in Freeport around the wall (F9). Also the Highkeep banker won’t attack you at lvl 33 or so. Kill enough goblins and while the cleric/Druid/rogue guilds in Rivervale will kill you banking and vendoring is possible. Buying food can be done in the EC tunnel but your a mage. Summoning is kind of your thing.
The Highkeep banker will not kill you as long as you stay on the right side of the counter. Go behind the counter (in the room with her) and she will attack you.

Guards will roam to the front part of the counter though. For necro's it's easy enough to FD bank, for mages I'd suggest being quick!

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 12-18-2019, 07:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks everyone. I'll stick it out with my Dark Elf Magician for now. I still think it may be better for me to go Gnome for convenience and ease of gaming. There are lots of gnome mages apparently. Worst case scenario I can make a gnome magician and see how that is.
Closed Thread