Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The staff generally aim to recreate classic. They generally succeed.
From what I'm reading this is still a far shot from classic, still so much is unknown and cannot be rebuilt. It appears several compromises have been made. What's really annoying is despite this not being classic, the devs seem to go out of their way to remove quality of life improvements to the game including sticking us with this garbage UI. The current blue UI is fine, why make a 20 year old game worse from a QoL perspective. Completely nonsensical. It's not like the orignal EQ classic devs were like "We definitely don't want tab targeting in at launch, it makes the game too easy"... More like it was the first MMO of its kind and they didn't think about it at the time, if they had the bandwidth and the foresight, they would have had things like tab-targeting in at launch. Hope they plan on throttling all of our connections too, so we get the real classic experience!

End rant.
Last edited by Kalanmyr; 10-18-2019 at 07:54 PM..
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagami [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I the only one still kind of confused as to exactly what the plan is for patch progression in green?
The plan is the vague description on the homepage. Literally everything else is speculation, barring the occasional dev forum posts since that haven't really detailed that process. Personally I believe the goal is to give you that classic experience where you have a general idea of whats going and know patches will come but you don't really know when and what will change, just like you didn't know back then.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanmyr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From what I'm reading this is still a far shot from classic, still so much is unknown and cannot be rebuilt. It appears several compromises have been made. What's really annoying is despite this not being classic, the devs seem to go out of their way to remove quality of life improvements to the game including sticking us with this garbage UI. The current blue UI is fine, why make a 20 year old game worse from a QoL perspective. Completely nonsensical. It's not like the orignal EQ classic devs were like "We definitely don't want tab targeting in at launch, it makes the game too easy"... More like it was the first MMO of its kind and they didn't think about it at the time, if they had the bandwidth and the foresight, they would have had things like tab-targeting in at launch. Hope they plan on throttling all of our connections too, so we get the real classic experience!

End rant.
Perhaps, but it's the closest you will likely ever find.
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps, but it's the closest you will likely ever find.
Agreed. I'm excited for the server. You mostly missed my point, and the OP is right... The idea behind green is still a bit confusing and sends mixed signals. Server is an approximation of classic era, with a titanium client, and a forced velious UI... Lol it's all over the place. Maybe just my opinion, but I think the better approach is make the content classic with modern playability. I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanmyr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed. I'm excited for the server. You mostly missed my point, and the OP is right... The idea behind green is still a bit confusing and sends mixed signals. Server is an approximation of classic era, with a titanium client, and a forced velious UI... Lol it's all over the place.Maybe just my opinion, but I think the better approach is make the content classic with modern playability. I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought.
The amount of work to create this experience was no small task and it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to get conveniences added.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Agreed. I'm excited for the server. You mostly missed my point, and the OP is right... The idea behind green is still a bit confusing and sends mixed signals. Server is an approximation of classic era, with a titanium client, and a forced velious UI... Lol it's all over the place. Maybe just my opinion
The UI is day 1 classic.

There are two classic UIs, the iconic stone viewport UI and if you hit F10, transparent windows with a smattering of stone windows. The F10 UI is what we have on Green, because the stone UI is not feasible in the Titanium client on modern displays.

So no, the developers are not “All over the place” they’re actually quite consistent in that regard. They are making the server as classic as possible with the client they have. If you’re looking for a server with classic content with modern quality of life you should check out the Daybreak TLP servers.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah dumb thread even compared to old pvp troll threads.

Green is right on target hits the bulls eye right in the nuts. Ui an darkness mega huge gains and make the game 100x better.

I can't imagine staff being any more clear.

This is the closest to a 1999 replica that they can get right now.

Green 2.0 might be even more classic 5 years from now.

Good luck boys
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:38 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The UI is day 1 classic.

There are two classic UIs, the iconic stone viewport UI and if you hit F10, transparent windows with a smattering of stone windows. The F10 UI is what we have on Green, because the stone UI is not feasible in the Titanium client on modern displays.

So no, the developers are not “All over the place” they’re actually quite consistent in that regard. They are making the server as classic as possible with the client they have. If you’re looking for a server with classic content with modern quality of life you should check out the Daybreak TLP servers.
Thanks for the correction on the UI I didn't know, I played in full marble. Still, my point stands. My opinion is the server would be more fun to play and likely have more players if the UI was nicer and basic functions like tab targeting was available.

I voice my opinion because there are not options. Daybreak goes through expansions at a stupid rate and have stupid items that give insane stats early. I'm on board with phased content, but phased playability just sounds stupid. You won't convince me otherwise, just like I won't convince dudes like gustaboo who have a weird hard on for "pure" classic even if it reduces the accessibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The amount of work to create this experience was no small task and it sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to get conveniences added.
This quote is great. I'm not asking them to be added... They were already in... The devs had to go out of their way and spend time figuring out how to disable them.... That's the sad part. Cool features that bring back the classic atmosphere are things like darkness. That is time well spent. I'm betting I'm in the silent majority on this one, active forum posters are not representative of the average player like myself
Last edited by Kalanmyr; 10-18-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Consider any non-classic feature here something that is subject to change/removal at any time, possibly without notice. That has very much been the case for the past ten years on P1999.

However you aren't the silent majority. You may be the majority, but they're by no means silent. Suffice it to say the folks make their displeasure known when non-classic-but-nice things are taken out from time to time. A lot of folks within the community here would prefer "classic+" over strict classic.

Danth
Old 10-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Thanks for the correction on the UI I didn't know, I played in full marble. Still, my point stands. My opinion is the server would be more fun to play and likely have more players if the UI was nicer and basic functions like tab targeting was available.

I voice my opinion because there are not options. Daybreak goes through expansions at a stupid rate and have stupid items that give insane stats early. I'm on board with phased content, but phased playability just sounds stupid. You won't convince me otherwise, just like I won't convince dudes like gustaboo who have a weird hard on for "pure" classic even if it reduces the accessibility.
The “weird hardon” for classic pureness you speak of is a common sentiment on this server because it is literally the mission statement of the server. The developers have made it clear since day one that they aren’t interested in the most fun server, or the most popular.

The goal since day one has been to make a server as close to classic as possible with the software available. That is never going to change, and frankly: It’s just super annoying at this point that every couple weeks some fool comes through with his “I like that server is classic but how about making it less classic” rant.

There are dozens of servers that feature classic content with non classic UIs and mechanics why go to the one server that is trying to be different and rant about how they should make their server just like every other classic-lite box? P2002, TAKP, P99 Blue and Daybreak TLP are all just a click away.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Closed Thread