Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are dozens of servers that feature classic content with non classic UIs and mechanics why go to the one server that is trying to be different and rant about how they should make their server just like every other classic-lite box? P2002, TAKP, P99 Blue and Daybreak TLP are all just a click away.
Let me know if any of those suggestions have
A) more than 500 players peak time
B) are currently going through a progression starting at EQC where each expansion is released about 1 year apart
C) no custom content
D) unaccelerated XP gains and starting at level 1

None of the servers you mentioned meet all of those requirements. I don't want to play on a PoP server or a dead server. If there was a fitting alternative, I'd be playing already.

The better point is why is it not optional? Let the people who have hard ons for classic use it. Any reasonable person would make it optional so that those who really really want it EXACTLY as it was can feel free to do so, and those that would prefer a slightly more readable and configurable UI can do that as well. Make it the default even, and you gotta go out of your way to get the Blue UI.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanmyr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any reasonable person would make it optional.
Perhaps it will be easier if you stop thinking of P1999 as a consumer product that is sensitive to customer sentiment in order to increase sales. Think of it as a toy someone is letting you use, and if you don't want to play with it that's probably fine with them.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The goal since day one has been to make a server as close to classic as possible with the software available. That is never going to change, and frankly: It’s just super annoying at this point that every couple weeks some fool comes through with his “I like that server is classic but how about making it less classic” rant.
if you think of p99 as a psychological or anthropological project instead of a software development project, you'll see that these people whining about classic features are themselves extremely classic, and simply way more immersed than you.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perhaps it will be easier if you stop thinking of P1999 as a consumer product that is sensitive to customer sentiment in order to increase sales. Think of it as a toy someone is letting you use, and if you don't want to play with it that's probably fine with them.
I understand the pure volunteer model and the idgaf attitude toward things like this. They can afford that because there isn't an apples to apples alternative. I'd say the analogy is more like someone is letting you use their toy and then telling you how to play with it. Don't be surprised when people like me protest.

I think what doesn't come across is my appreciation for the work that has been put into this server, which I've been playing on and off for about 9 years. You can appreciate something and give criticism at the same time. If everyone sat around head nodding from day 1 this server wouldn't be what it is today, so people should really stop silencing other's opinions, which I see happening often as a forum lurker.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalanmyr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand the pure volunteer model and the idgaf attitude toward things like this. They can afford that because there isn't an apples to apples alternative. I'd say the analogy is more like someone is letting you use their toy and then telling you how to play with it. Don't be surprised when people like me protest.

I think what doesn't come across is my appreciation for the work that has been put into this server, which I've been playing on and off for about 9 years. You can appreciate something and give criticism at the same time. If everyone sat around head nodding from day 1 this server wouldn't be what it is today, so people should really stop silencing other's opinions, which I see happening often as a forum lurker.
Can you give any examples of when randos complaining about the server being too classic lead to positive change on the server?

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Can you give any examples of when randos complaining about the server being too classic lead to positive change on the server?
If you don't have anything to say, please stop diluting the post with noise. Let someone else chime in eh? "join date sept 2019" calling others "randos". Last response you'll be getting from me if you aren't contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
If you don't have anything to say, please stop diluting the post with noise. Let someone else chime in eh? "join date sept 2019" calling others "randos". Last response you'll be getting from me if you aren't contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lament Icarus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

https://i.imgur.com/8YM1pCj.jpg

Here is a UI I made on Green to test this. It allows me to log off and back on with no issues whatsoever.
This guy managed to edit the velious ui from his end to make it more to his liking. Maybe you could PM them and see if they could help you with your quest?
Songs are being sung from every bard,
His passion is back and the fire burns,
With fear and renown, Norrath whispers: Uthgaard
Old 10-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guy managed to edit the velious ui from his end to make it more to his liking. Maybe you could PM them and see if they could help you with your quest?
Thanks for the heads up. The UI thing isn't game breaking, it's just needlessly annoying. I'm still planning on ditching work to play a classicish EQ server launch. Will be the first time in a LONG time since I've been able to do that.

Bring back Splitpaw 1.0!!!!
Old 10-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
... You put a rant about the UI in the middle of a post about how the progress of the server isn't laid out in specifics then called out someone on how long they've been here. Ironic.

Back to OP's point, given the volunteer nature of the development of this experience I think it's been great as far as them letting us know what's going on. It does take a bit of reading, but I guess someone could go through and make some sort of guide to all the new folks?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

Can you give any examples of when complaining about the server being too classic lead to positive change on the server?

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Closed Thread