Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 PM
Kobold

Default Client video freezes but game is still running

Anyone else been running around like normal and all of a sudden the game seems to freeze? But you still hear the game sounds acting normal?

This happens to me intermittently. I've had it happen in the same exact spots though. For example I was trying to turn in whips for OT faction and when I would turn the corner around the wall into the outpost it would freeze. It happened three times. Only way I got around it was to sit and camp on the spot and log all the way back in from login.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any post talking about this yet because it's been happening to me frequently and it's making things unplayable really.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Kobold

Yes, happens to me all the time and is super annoying. I haven't been able to spot the root cause yet. But your symptoms are the same as mine. It seems to happen randomly when I turn left or right and the game continues to run in the background. Alt+Enter will not help. This happens maybe a few times a week.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Kobold

Yeah my friends tell me to fix it with Alt + Enter but that only makes me crash 10/10 times.

I think it happened to me last night just running straight, but it was late and I was tired so cannot confirm. So it may or may night be related to turning. But you're right it does tend to happen a lot when keyboard turning.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Kobold

What I do is write a script to kill the client, then add a keyboard shortcut.

So like create a file killeq.cmd in c:\eq for example. in the script do:
taskkill /im eqgame.exe /f
Then right click and create shortcut.

To create a keyboard shortcut you need to put it somewhere under C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\S tart Menu\

Right click the shortcut go to properties > shortcut > and in shortcut key use something like ctrl - alt - e

Might take a few tries to get it working.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Apologies in advance; but it made me think of it:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

-Mcoy
Old 07-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Large Bat

Yeah this happened to me pretty often. I'd type /sit and /camp desktop to get my character out of the server so I could log back in quicker. Just haven't figured out how to fix it. It's why I've stopped playing really.

Edit: Tried playing with a fresh install and it still happens.
Last edited by Dynatron768; 07-11-2020 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Moar words.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:27 AM
Large Bat

I've got a second system I can use to see if it happens there as well. I'll try that as soon as I get some time off work.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:11 PM
Fire Giant

I had this happening to me in the long merchant hallway in Sky Shrine and also in a hallway somewhere in Siren's Grotto. Reliable freeze in the same areas, but the game is still going just the video window is frozen. I tried using WinEQ2 and that didn't help.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Sarnak

These guys seem to think it's an nvidia issue: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=359131

I can force it to happen. Open your log file in a text editor while the game is running. Instant freeze. If you use anything that touches your log file make sure they're running before you launch the game.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 07-16-2020, 01:56 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I was having this issue quite frequently. You can actually still click on buttons to do things like cast spells or use commands like /sit /camp and once you camp out hit ESC twice and you'll be at login and video comes back.

I finally started using WinEQ2 (had it installed, but didn't realize you had to actually launch EQ from task bar wineq2 item - i just thought it was installed and working - my bad) - but problems seemed to clear up quite a bit and haven't had the screen freeze issue since (couple weeks).

I now have an issue, though very infrequently where it just crashes out completely and some popup message which may be the same issue just different behavior do to different launcher.

This is on an NVIDIA RTX 2060 card