Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Large Rat

Wink first time playing, don't know anything about the game

Hi guys!
I was really interested in EQ like 20 years ago but couldn't play it
tried some years ago the trial on the official server and really enjoyed it (I made a frog rogue)
I'm going to start here but I don't know which class and race should I make
is there any website I could check?
also I will probably want to join a guild
are there any newbie friendly guilds?

thanks!
Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

The wiki here is a good starting point, lots of good info and guides there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://wiki.project1999.com
Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Kobold

Play what ever class suits your play style. For your first character you might not even like it once you get past 20 or so. It may take a while to figure out what suits you. Tank classes are always good, as are healers.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Kobold

What style of play do you enjoy? E.g. healing, tanking, damage, support...what do you like doing the most in games?
Old 04-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The wiki here is a good starting point, lots of good info and guides there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

http://wiki.project1999.com
ah yeah! I feel really dumb since I remembered that wiki just after making my post, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play what ever class suits your play style. For your first character you might not even like it once you get past 20 or so. It may take a while to figure out what suits you. Tank classes are always good, as are healers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzzzt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What style of play do you enjoy? E.g. healing, tanking, damage, support...what do you like doing the most in games?
depends from game to game
I don't know how tanking works, how mana regen works, if you need reagents like in ultima online, etc..
I'd probably want a comfortable class to understand better the game, and then decide a class if I dislike my first choice
is rogue okay? DPS probably doesn't have much responsibilities
or maybe a shadow knight/pally since they can tank (I like tanking) and heal/use their pets

thanks guys!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Kobold

I wouldn't advise melee for your first character here because it will be rough going early on.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

It really depends on your play style. If you like to be grped or alone when playing...if you like to be a support or a more key class role.

How important is it to you to be "useful" to your friends and groups is probably the most important question someone new to playing EQ should ask. EQ isn't balanced and, while all the classes can be useful and fun to play, there are some that definitely shine in this regard.

If the mechanics of the game seem too much for you you might try one of the simpler classes first to get your bearings in the world and make some friends or join a guild.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:46 PM
Sarnak

I would suggest rolling Druid or Necro to be honest. Will be so much easier on you now and in the future on alts.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaildez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn't advise melee for your first character here because it will be rough going early on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It really depends on your play style. If you like to be grped or alone when playing...if you like to be a support or a more key class role.

How important is it to you to be "useful" to your friends and groups is probably the most important question someone new to playing EQ should ask. EQ isn't balanced and, while all the classes can be useful and fun to play, there are some that definitely shine in this regard.

If the mechanics of the game seem too much for you you might try one of the simpler classes first to get your bearings in the world and make some friends or join a guild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worry [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would suggest rolling Druid or Necro to be honest. Will be so much easier on you now and in the future on alts.
thanks guys! should I avoid rogue then? it was the melee class I was considering
the other one was druid but I've read somewhere that from lvl 50 they tend to be less useful
it's okay if I can at least have fun from 1-50 while deciding which other class to make and making some money

about usefulness in a group, I was planning on playing mostly in groups
I've soloed too much in other mmos and I'm already tired
Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 AM
Sarnak

play enchanter. you learn to swim by being pushed into the deep end. if you last 16 lvls and get breeze (mana regen buff), welcome to the addiction
Closed Thread