Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 10:17 AM
Sarnak

Default Windows 10? Or stay on Window 7?

The laptop I play P1999 on is Windows 7. I have no known issues. However I like to have the new stuff. Especially when it's "free"? So... What are the chances that Windows 10 will adversely affect Project 1999? Have many of you taken the plunge? What have been your experiences?

Heathcliff - 60 Bard | Carkle - 60 Cleric
58 Ranger | 56 Shaman
54 Rogue | 54 Shadow Knight
51 Bard | 50 Paladin | 50 Warrior
41 Wizard | 40 Bard | 20 Magician
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Windows 7, generally. Never switched past 8 but I hated 8 and 10 has all kinds of nasties on it with regard to what it gathers etc.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

The "upgrade" from 7 to 10 broke some shit for me. EQ did have some issues.

An actual fresh install of 10 was much better (for me). I have no issues with Windows 10 and EQ at this point.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Sarnak

Carkle,

Ive been on Windows 10 since it was launched, playing on p99 has never been an issue.

Once in a while, I'll get a video driver error that will lock up EQ. But thats because I've got integrated graphics and not a dedicated card.

Windows 10 is not as problematic as the masses suggest. Take the leap my fellow guildie. It works fine.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 PM
Kobold

I bought new computers... all are running 10... I'm a computer science major so I get access to Windows 10 from school for free... so I just did a clean install of 10 from my machine running 7...

I bought a MSI gaming notebook that shipped with 10.

I bought this notebook I'm on now 2 or 3 weeks ago. I ran Ubuntu with XFCE for a week, then had issues with packages not being as up to date as I wished, so I ran Fedora, which was always my distro of choice... and last night I got frustrated with the way it was handling ACPI related things so I ended up going to the Dell website and downloaded a Windows 10 restore ISO... which I'm shocked they even have listed as drivers and downloads (I did have to register the machine to my account to access this, though...) and I'm in the process of setting things back up.

It's a simple machine, a Dell 2 in 1 with a dual core 6th gen i5 processor, intel hd 530 graphics, 500GB HDD, and 4GB of RAM. It's a 2 in 1 so its small and I bought it to be my main portable machine and use my MSI machine at my desk in my home office with my external display. For the price I could have gotten something a little nicer but I just wanted something small, thin, light, and good battery (I'm getting 8 hours on this, sometimes 9)... RAM will max out at 8GB, it has one memory module slot... I could have spent the same amount for a "traditional" laptop that would max out at 16GB of RAM (well, the one I was looking at would... some 16 some 32...)... spent $500 on this. At the same time this thing is so thin and light and quiet, and I'm sure eventually I'll love using it as a tablet.

Everything I'm throwing at it so far works great with just a dual core i5 and 4GB of RAM... and I'm really loving it. Amazon stocks compatibile Crucial RAM for $20 (8GB)... so in the coming months I'll upgrade if it becomes a necessity... but WOW! I'm loving Windows 10.

I really enjoy OneDrive, being that I no longer have a server here at home... I used to have an active directory setup so I could keep everything in sync, and just VPN in when I was away, and I loved how I could centralize my backups... anyway... I have 5 machines all running Win 10, and I'm not having issues.

My mother's laptop had Windows 8 and she was having Windows 10 issues, if you would call them that... just turned out that I had to just do a driver update for her - and she was using multiple browsers. Windows 10 defaulted her to use the new Edge browser, once I took care of that it worked great.

I don't keep machines for long... but with Windows 10 I'm finding things to be very stable. It's just too bad that Bitlocker isn't included with Windows 10 home... this new laptop has a TPM chip in it and I'd love to encrypt the drive and get a smartcard, just because I store sensitive financial information on here and I take it everywhere.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

I switched to Windows 10 on my work machine and I like it. I haven't had any issues so far. It affected other programs though. Editing stuff for work but not EQ. I find EQ to be a tank and has ran on all versions for me. XP WIN 7 8 10.

If you don't have much else running on the laptop try it. The OS is very user friendly.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupakk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I switched to Windows 10 on my work machine and I like it. I haven't had any issues so far. It affected other programs though. Editing stuff for work but not EQ. I find EQ to be a tank and has ran on all versions for me. XP WIN 7 8 10.

If you don't have much else running on the laptop try it. The OS is very user friendly.
My first EQ experience was on Planes of Power. I must have been 11 or 12. I ran it on Windows 2000 over a 56k modem.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Large Bat

I would say stay with Win7 or 8 for now unless you have a good reason to NEED to install 10. I don't see a reason with changing something that works and there's always issues with new OS's.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thing is once the year is up, you'll loose the free upgrade option. I'd take the upgrade option so that you reserve your free Win10 key, and decide later on if you want to make the actual upgrade.

I've upgraded every machine I come into contact with, and everyone is pleased with the Win10 upgrade, plus Microsoft is going to use Win10 as the platform for all windows versions from here on out. Rather than selling a new operating system, your computer would upgrade through windows update process.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carkle Jackson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The laptop I play P1999 on is Windows 7. I have no known issues. However I like to have the new stuff. Especially when it's "free"? So... What are the chances that Windows 10 will adversely affect Project 1999? Have many of you taken the plunge? What have been your experiences?
Only windows 10 related problem I found with P99 is and issue where if you exceed 4.7ghz on your processor the game will not run. This issue doesn't occur for me in windows 7. Other then that i've been on windows 10 even since developers releases and haven't had problems Carkle.