Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Fire Giant

Thanks Daldaen for helping me affirm my beliefs that anything after too far after Velious is ridiculous and completely trivializes old content.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sort of like how Nagafen and Vox are killable on P99 with less than a group?
Don't they dismiss above level 52?

I'll concede you have a point here, but there's a difference between a group and a single character having thousands upon thousands of HP killing what is intended to be a raid mob.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get that idolic creatures like AoW people felt should never be soloed.
This is really all I was trying to say. I'm not trying to diminish you soloing him on Phinny. That's actually pretty cool that you're able to do that. I can't imagine standing toe to toe with AoW (also as a druid), mostly because he can crush me in a single round and the thought of anyone soloing him borders on the ridiculous to me.

A lot of the other situations you described are possible, sure, but very unlikely to happen often. For the most part, raid mobs on P99 require a raid. Yes there are exceptions. But the fact that you can go back on a TLP after a few expacs have released and solo ALL of the classic content is the issue. Power creep in games has always been a shit box and EQ was really coming into its own when it started to become a problem.

If you enjoy Phinny, keep on keepin' on killin' those raid mobs. A server that makes classic content feel like easymode just doesn't sit well with me is all.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

I think you’re conflating “easy mode” with the normal stat inflation that occurs in any MMO’s lifespan. Nagafen could shit stomp an original non-planar EQ raid group, and now he could potentially be soloed with enough clickies and gear this deep into velious. Phinny doesn’t have some monopoly on that being a potential problem.
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan
The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

how about we call it "cheesy mode"
Old 06-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Lawyerquest or tlp?

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how about we call it "cheesy mode"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQydoiDY28
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Phinigel intended to be a raid mob, slain with 2 magicians in Kunark on P99.

Terror intended to be a raid mob, trio'd by neckbeards on P99.

Overking and Queen in Chardok intended to be a raid mob, I've done both with four on P99.

Ixiblat intended to be a raid mob, Shamans with clicks have soloed on P99, I've duo'd on P99.

Keeper of Souls intended to be a raid mob, I've done with a single group on P99, and he DTs...

Etc. etc. With enough gear, clickies and know how, many things intended to be raid mobs can be defeated easily with less than a group even on P99. The inflation of HP and stats was necessary to provide a challenge to players.

A problem they had in classic was the 32,000 HP limitation on mobs due to 16-bit coding. It became clear in Kunark that mobs simply aren't providing a challenge because they can be killed so quickly. So, in Velious when they upgraded, they were able to have mobs with 100k-1million HP. As a result, they needed to inflate character gear to be able to reasonably fight these mobs. Velious was the beginning of what you hate really.

It's funny, they are actually running into the same problem 24 expansions in. Ring of Scale has reached the 32-bit maximum value for mob HP, a raid boss in the first raid of the expansion has 2,147,483,647 HP. At this point they've decided to make raids where you have to deal with multiple raid bosses simultaneously to try to add challenge to their raids since they are hamstrung in being able to increase HP further than that.

I get that idolic creatures like AoW people felt should never be soloed. But in classic you felt the same way about Nagafen. And I'm sure if a BiS Monk on P99 deleveled and grabbed 10 Wort potions they would solo him too.
Weren't you one of the biggest supporters of the solo artist challenge thread? The double standards....yikes.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Sarnak

I must confess

A couple nights ago Detoxx and <Aftermath> helped an <Azure Guard> enchanter finish their epic.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Press 1 if you think it was a shoot. Press 2 if you think it was a work.

More details to follow after post 1,000
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Sarnak

Correction

Page 1,000