Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischsemmel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Analogy time!

"Waiter, I'm torn between the cheese n' mushroom sirloin and the steak and seafood meals. What do you recommend?"

"Well sir, I really think you're just trying to decide what is best. You should eat what you want. And if your friends here don't approve of your choice in food, you should eat here alone or you should find new friends."

It's a good thing you don't work for tips, Lishrac.

Note the use of the English language employed by the OP:

He wants advice on something very specific, and he even calls attention to a piece of advice that he would MOST appreciate getting. Nowhere did he ask for anyone to tell him to do what he wants to or whether he should find new friends who approve of his choice of entree. In fact, it would be a pretty safe assumption that what he wants is advice on the underlined things above! Whoa buddy!!

OP: your dark elf SK will be able to solo or tank in groups with your friends. Not surprisingly, it will not be AS effective at squeezing the most out of a complete heal or hitting as hard solo, that is unless you have a hell of a lot of PP. However, the difference, while noticable, will not be game-breaking.

Regarding the xp penalty difference? I felt my ogre SK was pretty painful to level by the time he hit 20, even though he had it a bit easier on the xp than your troll. I was mostly solo or duoing with an ogre shaman, and I had spent probably 20k twinking my SK. My bard's xp bar feels to move quite a bit quicker when I kill individual mobs.

I would expect that the extra 28% on that penalty would really, really be painful at 50+, even for someone who makes it to 50 without noticing it.

Since you say that you want to reroll so that you can keep around the same level as your friends with the limited playtime you have, however, I think I would advise AGAINST starting over. Go look at your /played, man. How many hours have you put into your SK already? Think about how long it would take you starting from scratch on a dark elf SK in order to make up for losing that time spent on your troll. How are you going to catch up to your friends with the dark elf AND then keep up with them if you are already having trouble keeping up with them?
To your giant wall of text that you felt the need to leave me to read I ask but one question. Who did I quote? And assuming I quoted somebody could you not also assume that I am talking to them and not the OP?

Somebody find me a screeny of the jump to conclusions mat! I'm feeling lazy.

To OP: Since I don't want to derail your thread I would say keep your current SK and give a smaller SK a try and see how you like it. If you end up not liking it very much you always have your current character to fall back on. The only thing you lose is a little leveling time. Btw, I have a guildy that is an iksar SK which I believe without looking at the Wiki has the same xp penalty as your troll SK and he just reached level 48 recently. He's one level away from some very useful spells. He says yes that the xp does get painful later on especially during hell levels but he can do so much with that character. Regen goes a long way.
Last edited by Lishrac; 02-10-2012 at 04:09 AM..
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Analogy time!

"Waiter, I'm torn between the cheese n' mushroom sirloin and the steak and seafood meals. What do you recommend?"

"Well sir, I really think you're just trying to decide what is best. You should eat what you want. And if your friends here don't approve of your choice in food, you should eat here alone or you should find new friends."

It's a good thing you don't work for tips, Lishrac
This is a pretty awful analogy. It's a good thing you're not a professional analogy-maker, or else you'd probably have a tough time finding work.

It's a waiters job to pander to customers, kiss ass and take orders. They're paid specifically for this reason.

Whereas Lishrac is not on anyone's payroll here and is just presenting his opinion on the topic, probably not giving two shits whether OP appreciates it or not.

These two things are not analogous!

Anyway, as for OP's question, I agree that race doesn't play a whole lot into the viability of any class. As an SK, Low STR/STA races are going to have a bit of a hard time at low levels because their stat difference will be more pronounced. But by the time you get to level 30 it will hardly make a difference. Honestly, your biggest problem early on is going to be carrying capacity - you won't have all the STR Ogres and Trolls have, so you won't be able to loot up as much before having to hit the vendor/bank.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Banned

noone mentioned slam? isnt that the obv advantage?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Fire Giant

^

Good point, slam is a nice bonus for the large races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Cooper, Senior Artist, SOE
Shut up and give me my ten bucks per month, little man. My Porsche needs some performance upgrades.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

I don't always play an SK, but when I do... it's a fuggin Troll with green eyes. Troll hp regen, Slam, Big starting Sta and Str in the beginning all make your life that much easier.
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Orc

Honestly, play whatever race sounds coolest in your head. ANY race of SK will be fantastic in groups because they have snap agro, good armor and good hit points. I felt like Troll was the coolest SK ever so I rolled it and love it. The 28% more exp required is definitely noticeable...but remember, the level cap will NEVER increase, and you should just have fun as you go along without trying to rush (especially if you don't plan on raiding).

If you want to solo, Troll and Iksar are by and far superior because of the health regen. It will decrease your downtime massively in combination with lifetap spamming. It can save you in a pinch while FD'ed, since you get regen while faking it.

Just make sure you have enough STR to carry your gear, and put the rest in STA. INT is completely unnecessary for anything non-ogre non-troll (arguably any SK at all)
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

I had a human SK on live and never had a problem. Was welcome in a lot of lighty towns as well as some evil ones. Granted things got a little better with the slam AA, but it wasn't THAT bad switching weapons with hot keys to bash every now and again.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Sarnak

Non-fatty SKs are fine, they just have a slight stat disadvantage. You'll be able to max your stamina in the end, which is all that truly matters for tanking, but ogre stun immunity is pretty sweet for a casting tank. Not critical, though.

1h weapons are alright. They have ratios that are almost comparable to 2h weapons and you can use a shield. If I'm tanking something, I'd appreciate 30AC 100HP quite a bit more than some extra DPS, especially on a class that could hold aggro without attacking at all if you wanted (I did that back in the day when tanking Vindi and such).
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by godbox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love my troll sk's I always played troll Sk's but the grind is getting too much for me as an adult and Im only mid 20's. I remember back on EQ live that DE SKs were super popular as well as erudites I THINK for soloing since obviously troll oger win at late game tanking when there massive sta is the winning.

Anyway I am thinking of rerolling my troll into a DE or eru for purposes of keeping up with the group I play with.
I dont ever expect I will play end game raid type stuff I expect more to play as small groups and solo farm mostly.
Lookin for thoughts or opinions on viability / benefits of small race SK's as soloers/group tanks. Also thought since we have this forum now would be a good place to start keeping some brand newbian info such as this.

p.s. and most importantly has anyone played both big and small Sk's that can comment on noticability of the 40 vs 68% exp penalty (seems noticable to me).
Make two inventory slots, one empty, one weapon/sheild bag, position the window for that nexto two more slots one for your primary and one for your offhand, put bash right next that, when you feel the need to bash, put 2h in empty slot, open bag, break out 1hs and sheild, if already using 1hs dualwield, swaping just the sheild is even easier. If your too lazy to do this - reroll a rogue, ranger, or some other moderately usefull dps class that doesnt need to do anything but stand nexto the appropriate mob with autoattack on.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Sarnak

Or just stay Troll and slam.

Plus you get to assboard (aka buttsurf) as a Troll. You only need 20% more to level than a gimped SK and you'll be laughing all the way to Grobb when you hit 60.
Twerp - Ogre Shaman
Numpty - Halfling Warrior
Tosser - Gnome Enchanter
Closed Thread