Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 10:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevarianX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As my fellow Knights here mention grouping dps doesn't matter while tanking, I ask, On Green Server, during Kunark era now, would a weapon such as the OG SSoY be a viable option while tanking just for the aggro proc? Even in low 50 or mid 50's?
Probably not. It’s good aggro when it procs but isn’t when it doesn’t. With a good spell cycle a SK with a MOSS can generate all the hate in the world. Or use a 2h like a Rod of Lamentation or Throneblade of the Ykesha if you want an aggro proc weapon.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevarianX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As my fellow Knights here mention grouping dps doesn't matter while tanking, I ask, On Green Server, during Kunark era now, would a weapon such as the OG SSoY be a viable option while tanking just for the aggro proc? Even in low 50 or mid 50's?
Honestly, once you get disease cloud, you can hold aggro with auto attack turned off.

As you level, you’ll get clinging darkness and shadow vortex. With those 3 spells you won’t ever have to worry about aggro. Keep weapon skills trained up, and use whatever weapon you can afford. I think the progression I went with on blue was:
MoSS<Noct blade<Velium 2h (best quality one you can afford) < Greenmist < Epic.

You won’t see velium weapons or greenmist on green for a while. Ebon mace is a fine option too.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Agreed, SSoY wouldn't be that great. I have a Frostwrath and an Ancient Fire Etched Flamberge on my SK. The procs do help with agro, but most of the time Disease Cloud and the Shroud spells are all you need. If you are battling for agro with someone who is generating a lot of hate, the proc is only sometimes going to tip the scale in your favor, and even then it isn't for long unless you get lucky and chain proc.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:07 PM
Banned

Early procs when someone is trying to land slow on something resistant is great

Otherwise, what he said above me

The difference between 1h and 2h or any damage you do is negligible compared to what the charmed pet you're tanking for is doing in groups. Min max dictates you focus on being as tanky as possible imo.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

IMHO, when it comes to knight aggro the biggest mistake made is what spell is cast and when.

Disease Cloud has a short cooldown. First spell cast on a mob is aggro locked as well. So ideally I'd prob pull with clinging or cancel magic and toss out a DC right away (unless splitting), if you have one clicking a global cooldown item like a goblin skull earring between spells. By the time its in camp DC will probably off cooldown (or will soon). Use Shadow Vortex as needed but keep an eye on that mana. Having a near full tank for emergency taps might come in handy if things go awry.

It may seem arbitrary but changing up when you cast that first disease cloud can put you hundreds of points of hate ahead of the group. If duoing with a shaman waiting to toss that 2nd spell (DC) after the slow is the quickest way to peel. If you pull with DC in this situation and the sham slows you will either have to wait for the DC to come off cooldown or use shadow vortex and waste that mana.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-12-2021 at 02:05 PM..
Old 03-25-2021, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMHO, when it comes to knight aggro the biggest mistake made is what spell is cast and when.

Disease Cloud has a short cooldown. First spell cast on a mob is aggro locked as well. So ideally I'd prob pull with clinging or cancel magic and toss out a DC right away (unless splitting), if you have one clicking a global cooldown item like a goblin skull earring between spells. By the time its in camp DC will probably off cooldown (or will soon). Use Shadow Vortex as needed but keep an eye on that mana. Having a near full tank for emergency taps might come in handy if things go awry.

It may seem arbitrary but changing up when you cast that first disease cloud can put you hundreds of points of hate ahead of the group. If duoing with a shaman waiting to toss that 2nd spell (DC) after the slow is the quickest way to peel. If you pull with DC in this situation and the sham slows you will either have to wait for the DC to come off cooldown or use shadow vortex and waste that mana.
The aggro lock is just if the first spell is the initial aggroing attack. If you body pull or fire an arrow that satisfies initial aggro and your first spell will do it's full aggro
Old 03-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

I like to do siphon strength cos it's damageless, might affect DPS, and fast casting so easy enough to follow up with a DC, shadow tap or snare ... or FD if something goes immediately wrong.

If duoing with a shaman, and adds aren't risky, just let them pull with mal or slow (minimising their aggro thanks to the cap) and easily take aggro with your preferred aggro spell (the cap is done on a by mob, not by player basis - if it already aggroed someone else you are Gucci).
Old 03-25-2021, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The aggro lock is just if the first spell is the initial aggroing attack. If you body pull or fire an arrow that satisfies initial aggro and your first spell will do it's full aggro
Yea for sure. I just see a ton of SK’s pull with DC so wanted to throw that out.
Closed Thread