Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Large Rat

Smile Coming Home

Hello Project1999 Everquest community!

Yesterday I ordered a used copy of EQ Titanium. I'm hoping to join you all when it gets to me in a week or two.

I played the original game on release. I really enjoyed it. It has aged, but so have I.

Back in the day, I managed to get a Dwarf Warrior to level 25 (or 26 my memory is fuzzy). I basically just explored the world and adventured in groups. Everquest could be all kinds of exciting when you had a balanced group that stayed together. I fondly remember fighting the undead at the Chessboard in Butcherblock mountains with comrades, hanging out at the tunnel of West Commons, and exploring mid-level dungeons with new friends.

About a month ago, on a lark, I searched Twitch for Everquest streams. I found one I really liked (very chill and friendly with an active chat of cool folks). It stuck a chord of nostalgia. Looking back, I thought of the joy this game brought me. I feel like I need more of that in my life now. So here I am.

I'll post a message here when I get the game, get it set up, and decide what server to play on. I would like to find a few people to adventure with, because this game is best when played with others. I'd like to be in a group that is willing to travel all over Norrath. I want to keep things exciting! The game may be two decades old, but I'm ready to experience it again for the first time.

Big thanks to Project 1999 and the people who work on it. You have preserved a valuable part of history, and kept alive something pure for people to enjoy.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:38 PM
Sarnak

If you’re starting from scratch green is probably your best bet. While I think the culture and quality of player base is better on blue, there’s definitely a much stronger low to mid-level population on green.

Just one other thought, consider playing a caster or priest for your first character. It will be different and give you that “new” feeling which is what a lot of us really had as far as nostalgia. Casters are fun and dynamic in a totally different way than a true melee like a warrior.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:46 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you’re starting from scratch green is probably your best bet. While I think the culture and quality of player base is better on blue, there’s definitely a much stronger low to mid-level population on green.

Just one other thought, consider playing a caster or priest for your first character. It will be different and give you that “new” feeling which is what a lot of us really had as far as nostalgia. Casters are fun and dynamic in a totally different way than a true melee like a warrior.
Thanks for the welcome.

And thanks for the advice! It really is hard to weigh blue and green against each other. That is a conundrum I'll choose to put off until I have the install CD in my hand, my game/work office is set up, and I'm ready to jump in. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Regarding a starting character, I think it is equally important to consider a starting zone far from where I remember spending most of my time. All the characters I remember playing started on Faydwer with the exception of a human monk out of Freeport. I can remember playing a Wood Elf Ranger from Kelethin to start out with, a Half-Elf Bard (also from Kelethin), and a Dwarf Paladin. I stuck with the Dwarf Warrior because I felt I brought the most value to a group as a main tank.

I will definitely give a priest or caster class a shot. It's been so long that I'm not that concerned about picking up a melee class and not enjoying it. In fact, I'm extremely tempted to roll a Halfling Warrior for the enormous experience bonus.

But I'm also leaning toward following your advice. I'll probably roll a few characters!

Combinations I've considered include:
Halfling Druid or Cleric
Dark Elf Wizard
Human Ranger or Paladin
High-Elf Paladin (because Faydwer is still great)
Old 05-08-2021, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

I envy people with the mental power to play a healer. If you do, you should try playing a shaman. They are very powerful. The are mediocre at low levels, but they are casters so they are still very good.

Trolls might lose appeal quick because they don't look cool, but get some banded and a Totemic helm and you may gain interest again, but all Shamans are good.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I envy people with the mental power to play a healer. If you do, you should try playing a shaman. They are very powerful. The are mediocre at low levels, but they are casters so they are still very good.

Trolls might lose appeal quick because they don't look cool, but get some banded and a Totemic helm and you may gain interest again, but all Shamans are good.
my main back on live was a cleric

man, you guys think its boring

but it's actually pretty fun

you just heal, sit back, and watch the show [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedInk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will definitely give a priest or caster class a shot. It's been so long that I'm not that concerned about picking up a melee class and not enjoying it. In fact, I'm extremely tempted to roll a Halfling Warrior for the enormous experience bonus.

But I'm also leaning toward following your advice. I'll probably roll a few characters!

Combinations I've considered include:
Halfling Druid or Cleric
Dark Elf Wizard
Human Ranger or Paladin
High-Elf Paladin (because Faydwer is still great)
Welcome back to Norrath! Whichever class you chose to main, it's worth taking into consideration that humans, erudites, barbarians, and half elves all suffer from night blindness which you probably remember from classic. This feature is actually be a selling point for some, as it creates more tension in the wilderness and adds value to items that give off light, not excluding 9cp torches, but for the majority of players it is considered to be more than an inconvenience, even worse than encumbrance from low starting strength.
Last edited by Ennewi; 05-09-2021 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-09-2021, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my main back on live was a cleric

man, you guys think its boring

but it's actually pretty fun

you just heal, sit back, and watch the show [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same. There are days I wish I rolled cleric instead of paladin. A wide variety of heals and flowing thought items. And then eventually there's battle cleric mode with Blackstar.
Closed Thread