Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So.

I have been thinking about a 4k UI for eq.

I htink it would take a few weeks tbh.

here's how it woould work:

1. There are AI texture scaling programs, infact, spoiler, someone is using one to update background textures for the whole game, I suspect we'll get that at some point this year!
2. we can use that same AI to scale the UI images to 4k!!! (it takes some art skill to make them 1:1 and its easy to screw up if you get careles, but its really powerful and cool technology that works VERy well!)
3. reformat the UI to use these larger textures & XML (this part is trivial but and time consuming)

Really, it'd be that easy.

So it IS possible to get a classic 4k UI for our current velious UI... I(someone) just need(s) to get off my(their) ass with all this stay at home ordershitwhatamItalkingaboutIhavenoexcuse!

(edit: there is SOME amount of hard coded UI in the spell bar, I had to make custom spell gem holders for our spell gems, because they are scaled somewhere but I forget where that scale is, its not in the spell gem images, its somewhere else but I forget, but other than that we ok)
That's great! Please let me know when it's done. I would really appreciate it!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Aviak

Great news! I fiddled around enough with advice from others that I FIXED IT! YAYAYA.

I am NOT a technically minded person, so if my description isn't how this works, please feel free to correct me for others who have the same issue.

So, the problem lied in this: when I changed the resolution in game, my computer was automatically messing it up by forcing the game to play at a fraction of the screen to mimic that resolution. So, for example, on my 4k screen, if I set the in-game resolution to 1080p, the screen took up 1/4th of my total screen space, rather than stretching the 1080p game over the entire screen. (I kid you not, it would just make a window that took up 1/4th of my TV screen rather than a 1080p version of the full 55" screen).

So, I did a few things and frankly, I'm not sure which one of these fixed the problem.
1. under the compatibility tab for Properties of "EQGame.Exe," I selected to "run this program is compatibility mode for Windows Xp (Service Pack 2).
2. Under the compatibility tab for Properties of "EQGame.exe," I hit the box for "Change high DPI settings": and selected both: the first checkbox to "use this setting to fix scaling problems..." AND "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by System Enhanced."

Now, when I change the resolution of the game, it puts it in the correct resolution so that I can actually see what I'm doing AND stretches it across the entire screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Settings.jpg (98.5 KB, 121 views)
Last edited by mnemonikos82; 01-05-2021 at 04:55 PM..
Old 01-06-2021, 12:15 AM
Server GM

If you launch witg wineq & my upscale settings from 1920 x1080 it will scale perfectly to 4k
Old 01-09-2021, 08:41 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you launch witg wineq & my upscale settings from 1920 x1080 it will scale perfectly to 4k
Can you explain a bit more? How do you enter full screen? Are you refering to WinEQ2?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

if I set the in-game resolution to 1080p

mnemonikos82, where do you do this?..Are you talking about your computer display resoloution?
Old 02-12-2021, 07:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

OK..its fixed. Thank you mnemonikos82. I guess the first time i checked the "high dpi scaling overide" box...it didnt take. I went back in and made sure exerything was checked and "bingo"...

I can read everything clearly now...much...much better.

thank you all again
Old 04-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Kind of late to this thread but i just wanted to say i was having the same problems and was excited to find this but it doesn't seem to work for me, when i change my in game res it still only takes up 1/2 or 1/3 of the screen. Do the resolution's in eqclient.ini need to been something specific? there is like 3 different res's in there and i don't know what they all do.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

/fontsize 5
Old 04-17-2021, 06:20 PM
Fire Giant

The High DPI Scaling thing really only works for big TVs but that is because their scale is set to 100% or something and it needs to be 200 - 300% so setting that will force the executable to scale the window and its elements.. TVs will cause all sorts of issues like that but it does not scale the GUI elements up.

I made this a year or so ago and didn't finish it but am getting to finishing it now and this is what people are talking about when they talk about "scaling" the interface.. which this and most older games never had in mind as 1440p / 4k was pretty much unthinkable back then.

And there is no function to "scale" the interface with some setting or something, it has to be done manually, so the best bet is to make new interfaces for each resolution. Even at 1080p, the hud elements are tiny, and most UI mods are the same. And you don't just "Stretch" the textures.. Because you need to modify the drag items etc as well to fit inside the inventory slots etc. Its a lot of work.

These images will be large but it seems a real definition is required for this issue. It isn't something people anywhere seem to actually understand in these older games. I personally play at 1024x768 but when I do play at 4k, I want the UI AND the game to scale properly. 1440p @ 144fps is kind of standard for me now and anything less is very noticeable but older games like this have huge potential for upscaling and looking really good. Especially with updated textures, like I show with the spell gems in my mod. Not all are complete, to show the contrast.

Velious UI @ 1080p
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My Mod @ 1080p

You can see, even at 1080p it's pretty bad.

"Velious" UI @ 4k

"Velious" UI @ 1440p

My Mod @ 1440p
Old 04-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

looks great shawk! (fix those pixels on the left side of the buttons! haha)