Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe you’ll be able to get Lionhead’s Black and White to run which doesn’t on modern PCs.
I knew very few people who played this game, let alone actually enjoyed it.. I loved the shit outta this game!!! I need to play it again cause i dont think i really knew what i was doing as a youngin.. I just liked my pet god growing in size [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And Giants:Citizen Kabuto.. That game is a blur to me as well, but i remember loving the hell outta it!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its a cool idea but performance will prob be unbearable with how p99 client is
How much more demanding is the p99 client? A little is ok but if it’s significantly more demanding..
Old 04-26-2021, 08:50 PM
Fire Giant

Kunark Requirements:
200 MHz+ Intel
64MB Ram
Direct3D or Glide-compliant video card with 8MB Ram
600MB HD space
DirectX-compliant sound card
Direct X 7.0

Recommended:
266 MHZ Intel
128MB Ram

Trilogy Requirements:
Same

Recommended:
350Hz+ Intel
128MB Ram

Gates of Discord Requirements:
Pentium III 400+
246MB Ram
ATI Radeo 7500/NVidea GeForce 1 +
Direct X Sound Card
Direct X 9.0

Recommended was:
Pentium 4+
512MB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 3/ATI Radeon 8500+
1.5GB+ HD space
DX 9
Old 04-26-2021, 10:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Huh. Is the lighting engine different from the original client? If it’s significantly more demanding than hardware that could run it back in the day then that might be a problem..
Old 04-26-2021, 11:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harabec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh. Is the lighting engine different from the original client? If it’s significantly more demanding than hardware that could run it back in the day then that might be a problem..
Like I said, you gotta know what you're doing because I had to use unofficial drivers for the majority of the hardware, I Flashed my mobo bios with unofficial drivers for example.. It is a lot of work, I spent a while getting it all together. Fun though, least for me it was.

If you go with the hardware you have, and play at 640x480 or something like that then sure but you gotta be real about it. I run old hardware on another PC and it runs at 40FPS, it isn't great but I did it for Nostalgia. Old Sound Card, old 800x600(native) samsung monitor, Geforce 2 and a Pentium III. Usually finding all this hardware is the hardest part as you want a good motherboard and lots of SDRAM ram or DDR1 ram.

Their hardware spec requirements are usually with big resolutions in mind so can counter with lower res.

For lighting you gotta turn all that off. Dynamic reflective clouds, shadows, all of it. I also pushed much smaller models/textures in .s3d files and deleted a ton of bloat in the directory.. Can't run on Win10 or anything either obviously so you gotta do some unofficial work on the OS you're using to make it remotely compatible..
Last edited by Shawk; 04-26-2021 at 11:29 PM..
Old 04-27-2021, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harabec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh. Is the lighting engine different from the original client?
It's different (modified) even from stock Titanium. P1999 forces certain types of lighting ON and uses shader effects to enforce night blindness. It slows the client down quite a bit relative to how it performed years ago before this stuff was implemented.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:07 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Interesting! I had no idea! Well I wouldn’t mind building a pc that’s a hair faster (maybe more 2001 era than 1999). Reading threads it looks like someone had good results with a P4 1.5ghz and a GeForce 2 ultra. I think I’d prefer to go the athlon route though. I remember having what I believe was a 1.2ghz athlon processor and I loved that machine
Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you go with the hardware you have, and play at 640x480 or something like that then sure but you gotta be real about it. I run old hardware on another PC and it runs at 40FPS, it isn't great but I did it for Nostalgia. Old Sound Card, old 800x600(native) samsung monitor, Geforce 2 and a Pentium III. Usually finding all this hardware is the hardest part as you want a good motherboard and lots of SDRAM ram or DDR1 ram.
Tell me more about your build. I'm wavering between a Pentium 3 and a AMD 1.0-1.4ghz. I don't mind running at somewhat low resolutions. 800x600 honestly would probably be fine.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Tell me more about your build. I'm wavering between a Pentium 3 and a AMD 1.0-1.4ghz. I don't mind running at somewhat low resolutions. 800x600 honestly would probably be fine.
Yeah exactly can get away with 1024x768 but I try to just hard lock at 30FPS just to keep everything smooth.

Now that I am looking at it, it is a Pentium 4.- Pentium 4 1 Core, 2 Threads @ 3.2Ghz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] With HT TECH [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I have 2 of them, one is 2.8Ghz I think they're 800MHZ system bus 512 cache L2

2x1024MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM @ 500MHZ I think, overlocked, had to put some headsinks on them, Kinston brand.

80GB 7200RPM Ultra HDD [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Windows XP pro

420 Watt PS

Use a Geforce 2 but I the FX 5900 are really popular have seen a few 5950s too.

Craiglist is good for Alienwares, Facebook marketplace is probably better but I don't use it.. Get a Old Alienware for like $50 and be done with it.. Maybe a Alienware from 2006, cause Titanium is 2006 while my setup is more made for 2003-2004 so you might get 50+ FPS with a 2006 system instead maybe. Also recycling places are good, just stand around and snag a tower out of a bin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Cig stained looking beige-brown tower.. IBM ball mouse with no scroll wheel also cig stained looking beige-brown.. 15" full screen 800x600 monitor.

It's kind of pointless really but it is fun so whatever. If you throw a Floppy in there, the old hard-drive sounds will be enough to transport you back lol.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:22 PM
Fire Giant

P99 isnt velious specs its whatever the 13th expansion specs were + a bit more to not lag