Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-27-2021, 11:34 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I wonder if anyone who worked on the p99 client can chime in about the additional system demands. I wonder if it is better to go slightly better on the cpu or the gpu. I might go socket A AMD 1-1.2ghz on this build in that case..
Old 04-28-2021, 01:43 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harabec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wonder if anyone who worked on the p99 client can chime in about the additional system demands. I wonder if it is better to go slightly better on the cpu or the gpu. I might go socket A AMD 1-1.2ghz on this build in that case..
I would very much love this too, or rather just system requirements! They are no longer one and the same as Titanium requirements.

I've attemped this numerous times, most recently in 2019 just before the launch of Green server, and I have not yet got P99 to run on anything older than a P4. Anything PIII or earlier, it would crash when attempting to join the P99 server. (and actually it got even worse beginning with patch v49c, now immediately crashing the game upon launch)

Titanium it's self works perfectly fine, even on Windows 98 with all original hardware. It's only once the latest P99 dsetup.dll is copied into the folder that things get screwy. It's evident the P99 dsetup.dll is perhaps using a more modern DirectX version that's incompatible with hardware beyond a certain threshold.

For anybody else interested in exploring this, I've attached here my data sheet with tests I conducted in 2019. Red rows were failures (crash when you connect to the P99 server), green rows were successes (playable P99). I gave up and settled for P4 after spending like $300 on eBay hardware hunting for the right combo lol.

This hasn't ALWAYS been the case apparently, as I have a P99 dsetup.dll patch file dated 10/8/2013 that works fine. It results in the "spell file out of date" error of course, but at least the game doesn't crash. So something changed in that file between then and now to cause the classic hardware incompatibility. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P99_machine_hardware_tests_02.jpg (95.0 KB, 2 views)
Last edited by toddfx; 04-28-2021 at 01:45 AM..
Old 04-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Skeleton

In my opinion, the only way to get a vintage experience is by inviting your dad over and having him pick up the phone in the middle of a pull in Cazic Thule.

Now that's EQ Classic.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In my opinion, the only way to get a vintage experience is by inviting your dad over and having him pick up the phone in the middle of a pull in Cazic Thule.

Now that's EQ Classic.
Just throw a floppy drive in your PC and have it run a soundbite constantly so it just keeps turning the inside of he floppy disk. Throw a old hard-drive in there too..

Really though I think the best of both worlds is 1440p with a scaled up Interface to look like 800x600/1024x768 as all older games that can go into a higher resolution look amazing but few of them scale the interface to match.
Last edited by Shawk; 04-28-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Old 04-28-2021, 11:37 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now that's EQ Classic.
Haha I remember getting yelled at to mow the lawn mid Hate raid once. And coming back to my tool all alone in such a scary place D:
Old 04-29-2021, 01:39 PM
Orc

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-29-2021, 11:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Does anybody know if the Titanium client (or P99) still uses the sound fonts for a sound blaster live card? Some threads said it might have been removed at some point from live.. they’re super cheap on eBay so it would be a great addition to this build if the P99 client still uses them.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

VirtualMidiSynth by Coolsoft is what I use for sound fonts, can change on the fly etc there are a few good ones not sure where i found it