Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 03:03 AM
Sarnak

Default faster zoning

I saw one of Joe Lenard's project 1999 videos where he mentioned a fix to make zoning much faster.
Anyone know where I can get help with fixing that?
Old 05-06-2021, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure what video you are referencing and its timeframe but there was this patch:

Patch Notes: Sunday, February 10th, 2019
Quote:
Rogean: Netcode changes to throttle rates. This will result in faster loading times and possibly help (or make worse, we'll see) any desync.
Right after this patch and with a SSD I started loading zones super quick in 1-2 seconds. It was incredible. Apparently it caused a lot of issues for other people though and made things much worse. So they made additional adjustments and its no longer as fast as it used to be but still pretty good and I load zones in about 3-5 seconds now

Other than upgrading to a SSD harddrive (if you dont have one already), I'm not aware of anything that can be done client side to improve load times. Would be curious to know if there is anything else that makes a significant difference
Old 05-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other than upgrading to a SSD harddrive (if you dont have one already), I'm not aware of anything that can be done client side to improve load times. Would be curious to know if there is anything else that makes a significant difference
From what I've heard, for truly fast load times you want to make one of those virtual hard drives in memory, and (essentially) put all the relevant EQ code into RAM.

Never actually done this though.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what video you are referencing and its timeframe but there was this patch:

Patch Notes: Sunday, February 10th, 2019

Right after this patch and with a SSD I started loading zones super quick in 1-2 seconds. It was incredible. Apparently it caused a lot of issues for other people though and made things much worse. So they made additional adjustments and its no longer as fast as it used to be but still pretty good and I load zones in about 3-5 seconds now

This right here. When I click join server, it is a 1-3 second wait until I hit character screen. On my last pc without ssd, it took 10-20 seconds.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:

Yeah, this is what he was talking about. What is that? How do I get one? I see them on amazon but they are like 2terabites. I don't need that I don't think. How would you set up the game on that?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shourty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, this is what he was talking about. What is that? How do I get one? I see them on amazon but they are like 2terabites. I don't need that I don't think. How would you set up the game on that?
Nah you can get a SSD with just 128gb even and they are pretty cheap, all the normal stores have them now, best buy etc and the prices are comparable to online. Or just get a 128 from amazone etc.

But ya if you are just playing eq with it you might be able to just get away with installing it in your tower, connected the power and sata cable. Then just install EQ to that SSD and play it from that SSD and that should be fine.

That said, Windows will load a LOT faster if you have the SSD with Windows and EQ on it.

So if you know what you are doing you can just disconnect your HDD, and install windows on that SSD. And have your 2nd HDD connected to boot into whenever you need to or transfer stuff you want to your SSD.

Basically I would just treat it as a new install of windows. Just disconnect your HDD for now you can't damage it or your install of windows or anything by doing this if you aren't a tech type.. You just disconnect the HDD, Connect your SSD to the same Sata and power you got on your HDD most likely (unless your HDD is really old) and that is about it.. Have your USB/CD for your Windows 10 in and install it on that SSD.

Its a bit of work but you are talking a 10 year evolution in tech soo loading screens in EQ kinda are extinct with a SSD.

Also, Make sure you don't buy a M.2 SSD, unless you want to connect that to your PCI slot, they are faster but more expensive, but you won't notice a difference between a Sata port SSD and a PCI port SSD so just make sure you get a Sata Type SSD and its ez pz.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:42 PM
Fire Giant

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-250GB...0351792&sr=8-2

id go with 256 but you will want bigger eventually.
Last edited by Shawk; 05-06-2021 at 09:44 PM..
Old 05-07-2021, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Thanks. I've not leveled up my geekosity skill in years. This may bump that up.
I'm thinking of putting Umbuto on there instead of windoz. Any thoughts on that?