Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 03:19 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe I'm in the minority, but as far as the feel of Everquest I think that Vanguard actually did a better job than EQ2 did, though that is about all that Vanguard did better unfortunately.
Vanguard had far more technical problems that weren't going to age better with hardware upgrades. EQ2, by today's standards, aged fairly well.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trzzle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 from launch until the end of Sentinel's Fate was the greatest MMO ever made. Sadly it suffered a full item/stat/mechanic revamp that murdered the game thanks to Smokejumper. Pretty much died overnight similar to how people talk about that Starwars Galaxy update that ruined that game.
Agreed. Sentinels Fate was such a fun time to play EQ2 too. Then they changed it so each class only cared about a single stat. Meant there was now no differentiation between items on the same "tier". The inclusion of non-stat enhancements (haste, potency, etc) was the new meta but was 10x more confusion to a new player than the old stats-based itemization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shut your goddamn mouth. John Smedley is the only reason you're actually posting on this forum right now and not seeing a "FBI seized this website" message. The guy actually was the driving force that wanted to see EQEmulator live on because he cared about the game. He's met with Rogean and nilbog at multiple EQ-related events in real life, and you better believe he's for the 'common person'. Several Cease and Desist letters would have moved on to action taken against EQClassic, EQEmulator and Project 1999 if it wasn't for him. He's also the reason the Daybreak agreement exists.

The reason why he's not considered a good businessman is because he cared about his consumers too much.

He's had to make some really rough decisions over the years. One of those was shutting down SWG, which was beyond his control. LucasArts actually wanted to kill Star Wars Galaxies because 'it wasn't like WoW' and not bringing in the people that they wanted to cater to. They had a year to shut the game down after NGE failed at doing that. I personally worked with SWG's old community manager during my first job in industry and the horror stories I have heard do not include John Smedley. If there was an example of someone who was an outside-the-box thinker, it would be about Smed.

Smokejumper (Dave Georgeson), on the other hand, was a shady, F2P-snake-oil salesman which is why EQNext never took off.

You take that back about John Smedley right now.
Really happy to see someone else say this. As someone who's been a fan of SOE and their games since the 90s, Smedley gets a lot of shit he doesn't deserve. He always wanted to make the best games possible.

I had no idea Smokejumper was Georgeson. Now it all makes sense, as EQ2 took a deathspiral from a quality perspective when he came onboard.

---

Legacy EQ2 was awesome, tho. It was a good intermediate between EQ and WoW in terms of gameplay and experience. WoW XP gain was way higher than EQ 1/2, the graphics were cartoony, the playerbase was on average 10 years younger, etc.

I think EQ2 was at it's best shortly after the combat revamp. That's what introduced stances and a more even playing field for classes. Classic pet classes, for example, had pets who were better than a fully buffed tank at times. The revamp also got most of the base guidelines that EQ2 held onto for the next 13+ years.

I don't miss crafting at release. Having each class develop subcomponents required by other crafting classes was really confusing and would deadlock high level leveling.

The questing really put the Quest into EverQuest 2 tho. So many quests. Was really awesome.

EQ2 is still probably my favorite game of all time. EQ my most memorable.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Fire Giant

I played EQ2 for maybe a couple weeks, I hated it. I felt like I needed to hit every one of those AA opportunities, which wasn’t better. I liked that they had rooted it in EQ, I felt the way they tied them together was fine. But the game just wasn’t better.

I gave a bunch of other games a shot over the years. Played Shadowbane, WoW, Vanguard but didn’t stick with any of those for more than 1-3 months. I’m pretty sure I have more /played on Blue than I did on Live.

Myuharin <Force of Will> & Myuharin the Revenant
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeth View Post
6 hybrids in one group.. i believe you may actually LOSE experience per kill.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Orc

I would disagree that Sentinel's Fate was good... EQ2 started seriously dying after Kingdoms of Sky and that weird Asian themed Fallen Dynasty adventure pack. I played in a worldwide competing guild from release to around that time and saw a lot of weird changes along the way. But anything after that pretty much homogenized all classes and armor sets to cater towards a shrinking population. I can think of numerous top guilds that literally just stopped playing around this time.

Prior to that, the servers were full, raid targets were contested, fun, and challenging (Mutegenic Outcast dps race and Tarinax's swim strategy come to mind). The mix of contested and instanced dungeons was spot on imho. Long quest chains were fun (Prismatics / Qeynos Cutlass / etc.) and remained useful through expansions. In general, I believe the game was a brilliant meld of the EQ "neckbeard" and the WoW "casual" stereotypes. Basically, what a lot of us wanted was a game that extended on the lore of EQ while adding the QoL improvements that it lacked... I feel EQ2 delivered.

Some other fun things I think EQ2 got right:
- Any Class / Any Race (original style with betrayal quests)
- Tradeskilling (As someone who detests tradeskilling albeit)
- Meaningful mob con style
- Combat / Chains (some classes were completely better than their counterparts and
broke but the general feel of combat, especially soloing, was active and enjoyable)
*I will say that combat got out of hand towards the end of KoS (like 4 hotbars of spells as a dirge)
- Art style (I know this is a debatable subject but I liked the look of the game)

EQ2 really holds a special place in my heart. As SirAlvarex said "EQ2 is still probably my favorite game of all time. EQ my most memorable." Sadly, as been mentioned Smokejumper was a complete mess and pushed F2P / Cash Shop bullshit on the server and completely neglected his loyal player base to hopefully bring in new players (it didnt). I hop on the game from time to time just to visit the old toons but the game is a heaping mess... it's unrecognizable.
Last edited by Ranzal; 10-11-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Old 10-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Fire Giant

Vangaurd was the far better game, gameplay wise.

EQ2 was just non stop piano playing (cats , not mozart) across the keyboard while you watched TV.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed. Sentinels Fate was such a fun time to play EQ2 too. Then they changed it so each class only cared about a single stat. Meant there was now no differentiation between items on the same "tier". The inclusion of non-stat enhancements (haste, potency, etc) was the new meta but was 10x more confusion to a new player than the old stats-based itemization.

Really happy to see someone else say this. As someone who's been a fan of SOE and their games since the 90s, Smedley gets a lot of shit he doesn't deserve. He always wanted to make the best games possible.

I had no idea Smokejumper was Georgeson. Now it all makes sense, as EQ2 took a deathspiral from a quality perspective when he came onboard.

---

Legacy EQ2 was awesome, tho. It was a good intermediate between EQ and WoW in terms of gameplay and experience. WoW XP gain was way higher than EQ 1/2, the graphics were cartoony, the playerbase was on average 10 years younger, etc.

I think EQ2 was at it's best shortly after the combat revamp. That's what introduced stances and a more even playing field for classes. Classic pet classes, for example, had pets who were better than a fully buffed tank at times. The revamp also got most of the base guidelines that EQ2 held onto for the next 13+ years.

I don't miss crafting at release. Having each class develop subcomponents required by other crafting classes was really confusing and would deadlock high level leveling.

The questing really put the Quest into EverQuest 2 tho. So many quests. Was really awesome.

EQ2 is still probably my favorite game of all time. EQ my most memorable.
Fanboi hopeful lies about Smed.

He told lies about the state of EQN to the fanbase, and when his timer ran out he let his whole team go down for his hubris before the man finally came for him and his golden parachute.

The leader of the team is supposed to own the team failures...not duck and cover to protect yourself.

Not even getting into the little child tantrum he threw over the lizard squad messing with him.

Georgeson is a liar too. Watch his little EQN presentation from the "announcement event" (the one where he was rolling around stage on his broken leg scooter). Complete and total bull shit from him and Smed.
Last edited by fastboy21; 10-11-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Kobold

EQ2 was honestly a better game than WoW it just released at a bad time.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:52 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fanboi hopeful lies about Smed.

He told lies about the state of EQN to the fanbase, and when his timer ran out he let his whole team go down for his hubris before the man finally came for him and his golden parachute.

The leader of the team is supposed to own the team failures...not duck and cover to protect yourself.
Not even getting into the little child tantrum he threw over the lizard squad messing with him.

Georgeson is a liar too. Watch his little EQN presentation from the "announcement event" (the one where he was rolling around stage on his broken leg scooter). Complete and total bull shit from him and Smed.
Oh boy, where do I start with this misinformation...

The leader of a team isn't a CEO, you're thinking of the franchise producer, Dave Georgeson.
Smedley was a CEO, which means he had no involvement with the game's production or design at that point, beyond what makes the most money and keeps the studio afloat. This is standard for all companies in the games biz.
Smedley's job at that point in time was to make sure business deals went on as planned, to communicate with other companies, and to communicate with shareholders/investors the status of their projects. He was lied to by Georgeson as to how far along EQNext was.
That falls on Georgeson for lying to management about how far along his team was.

They had no AI programmers; the demo you saw for EQNext? That was all developers pretending to be NPCs. Completely shady, and you bet that Dave Georgeson was responsible, not Smedley, for that fuckup.
Holly Longdale was kept in the dark for the longest time regarding EQNext, too. She was mainly responsible for EQ/EQ2 and continues to be responsible for those projects. So don't blame her for Georgeson either.

Georgeson was brought in to try and monetize the game. His only experience was with Gaia Online and the original PlanetSide in terms of MMOs he's worked on. You can guess based on his resume how that went.
Destiny of Velious is the first expansion he launched for EQ2, and everything nosedived in quality starting with EQ2 Extended - which had blatanly P2W consumables, which later became EQ2's F2P model. They had a 'use Station Cash to revive' button when you died for crying out loud.

And the lizard squad thing... they called in a bomb to divert his plane. They had someone destroy his father's tombstone in San Diego's graveyard. That wasn't and isn't just a 'harmless prank' - that's MaceQuest level of sad.
Fuck Lizard Squad, there is no excuse for that behavior, and fuck you, fastboy21, for using that against Smedley's good name as if it were something he should be ashamed of. Hope Zachary and Bradley of Lizard Squad rot in jail for the rest of their miserable existence for what they put Smedley through.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 10-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

slowkid21 should probably quit while he's behind and fade away instead of tripling down.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh boy, where do I start with this misinformation...

The leader of a team isn't a CEO, you're thinking of the franchise producer, Dave Georgeson.
Smedley was a CEO, which means he had no involvement with the game's production or design at that point, beyond what makes the most money and keeps the studio afloat. This is standard for all companies in the games biz.
Smedley's job at that point in time was to make sure business deals went on as planned, to communicate with other companies, and to communicate with shareholders/investors the status of their projects. He was lied to by Georgeson as to how far along EQNext was.
That falls on Georgeson for lying to management about how far along his team was.

They had no AI programmers; the demo you saw for EQNext? That was all developers pretending to be NPCs. Completely shady, and you bet that Dave Georgeson was responsible, not Smedley, for that fuckup.
Holly Longdale was kept in the dark for the longest time regarding EQNext, too. She was mainly responsible for EQ/EQ2 and continues to be responsible for those projects. So don't blame her for Georgeson either.

Georgeson was brought in to try and monetize the game. His only experience was with Gaia Online and the original PlanetSide in terms of MMOs he's worked on. You can guess based on his resume how that went.
Destiny of Velious is the first expansion he launched for EQ2, and everything nosedived in quality starting with EQ2 Extended - which had blatanly P2W consumables, which later became EQ2's F2P model. They had a 'use Station Cash to revive' button when you died for crying out loud.

And the lizard squad thing... they called in a bomb to divert his plane. They had someone destroy his father's tombstone in San Diego's graveyard. That wasn't and isn't just a 'harmless prank' - that's MaceQuest level of sad.
Fuck Lizard Squad, there is no excuse for that behavior, and fuck you, fastboy21, for using that against Smedley's good name as if it were something he should be ashamed of. Hope Zachary and Bradley of Lizard Squad rot in jail for the rest of their miserable existence for what they put Smedley through.
Yah, you think the CEO of a company isn't the leader and I'm the delusional one.

EVERYTHING stops at the CEO. If Georgeson was the problem (and he certainly was, we agree on that) it was the CEO's job to control him. Still on the CEO.
Closed Thread