Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:03 AM
Banned

P.s go female high elf...just looks better.

Male high elves look...well you can guess what I was going to say.

You have 2 remember the returns on stm arent that great...in the over all scheme of things for an everyday hybrid....where as mana is.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Kobold

Do you want To be a smelly shortie with your nose low to the ground and roll around in the dirt?
Or
Do You want to stand tall and proud with your nose in the air, wearing fine linens?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Dwarf, elves are sissies
Old 06-04-2020, 10:55 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

To be a holy knight is not to be a dwarf - elves are not suited for frontline combat. Obvious choice is an Erudite.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

I really enjoyed my high elf paladin and mained him till I took time from blue. Nature's defender can't bash but 45 ac on a weapon is nothing to over look. One thing noone brought up and it seems that you like two handers. But leveling a paladin once you get 20 you could weild a ghoul bane, wear high elf culture armor and some other dex peices and own undead into the upper 40s. You will have a shield and you can bash with that. Sword of morning is another weapon you can swap out if not fighting undead and has a good ratio. The higher Wis is nice because you can just wear melee stay gear and still have a nice mana pool. Higher Wis has helped me a ton with crafting as well. Ive almost completed my last shawl for thurg.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

I went Eru and picked up a shield of the stalwart seas at creation. Even pumped Str and a little agility. I’m not optimized but whatever [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. With my gear (Ac/hp...EC buys) and without the STR I’d be constantly close to overweight.

Dwarves have better melee stats but their charisma sucks. Without about 120-150 CHA (easy with a few swaps or a buff) your lull pulls will not be reliable at all.

Doing it again I’d probably go HIE with STA as a raider or CHA as a casual soloer. The ND quest is ridiculously easy. Prob WIS if I expected to get NTOV gear readily.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

The Wis and mana pool thing makes me wonder why anybody would play a Half Elf Paladin for any reason other than fashion or roleplay, because for whatever dumb reason, Half Elves have absolute butt Wisdom scores.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:49 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Wis and mana pool thing makes me wonder why anybody would play a Half Elf Paladin for any reason other than fashion or roleplay, because for whatever dumb reason, Half Elves have absolute butt Wisdom scores.
So it is a lack of wisdom to choose half-elf. But it also better reflects your RL attributes in your toon. I've chosen human. Mithaniel Marr forever! Truth and Light!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because mana is the size of your tank, not the rate of your regen. Unless you are breaking a huge room or trying for a hard duo/solo you won’t use a full tank of gas.

Stamina at least is a 5.5 hp conversion making every complete heal more efficient and giving a larger buffer for mobs to do burst damage.

I wouldn’t disregard WIS, it’s welcome and comes on the best gear, but would never optimize for it. As mentioned my pally has EC junk and like 1500 mana. He also has 1190 AC with the FD and 1235ish with a shield (self buffed). Even with those paltry figures I wouldn’t dump 200ac and some hps for 500 mana. Sure it’s 1400 in heals (2x celestial cleansing) but once you fire those off you’re just lacking the tank stats.

Also for what it’s worth I soloed 99% of my toons life to 60. You will have the DW helm on almost the entire time so heals are free so long as you can keep the npc rooted.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because mana is the size of your tank, not the rate of your regen. Unless you are breaking a huge room or trying for a hard duo/solo you won’t use a full tank of gas.

Stamina at least is a 5.5 hp conversion making every complete heal more efficient and giving a larger buffer for mobs to do burst damage.

I wouldn’t disregard WIS, it’s welcome and comes on the best gear, but would never optimize for it. As mentioned my pally has EC junk and like 1500 mana. He also has 1190 AC with the FD and 1235ish with a shield (self buffed). Even with those paltry figures I wouldn’t dump 200ac and some hps for 500 mana. Sure it’s 1400 in heals (2x celestial cleansing) but once you fire those off you’re just lacking the tank stats.

Also for what it’s worth I soloed 99% of my toons life to 60. You will have the DW helm on almost the entire time so heals are free so long as you can keep the npc rooted.
Yeah, I think I'm better suited to Dwarf here. Having low strength on a class that wears plate armor and carries a big two-hander or a shield doesn't seem smart. And Dwarf cultural has a pretty sizable Wisdom boost as well, when I eventually get it (as a placeholder for Valorium if nothing else). Besides, Dwarf has the second best Wisdom score for a Pally at 88, and not just the highest Strength and Stamina, but the highest Dex as well, for weapon procs.

ND is pretty juicy but if down to a choice between the two, I'd still rather use FD (or even FA) for access to Bash.
Closed Thread