Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 06-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Default There Shouldn't be Wandering Mobs West of Undead Ruins In Burning Woods

Wasn't sure whether to put this under "NPC Spawn Issue" or "Pathing". Emphasis added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=77#m105497627232971
The Undead ruins to the West are great for any class that's good versus undead because no monsters wander west of the ruins on the zoneline so you can mediate without worrying about adds and 70% of monsters here are undead. Gorillas help each other, skeles don't. Higher conning skeles sometimes drop low to mid 50 Kunark spells. As a 51 Cleric (I have one too) I would recommend doing only skeles since they don't help. First root down, cast all your dots, med to full, nuke til root breaks, re root, re-dot, nuke ETC. Defiantly get KEI and maybe SoW potions though with enough AC you can pretty easily shrug off blows before landing another root and backing up. Also if it's low health and you don't wanna waste mana on nuke dear it and whack the crap outa it. I did this from 49-51 with no deaths. My Necro soloed here from 39-46
Now to be fair, the comment is from 2003, but ... which is more likely: that Verant changed the pathing of Kunark mobs between 2001-2003, or that y'all just did your best to guess pathing in that zone, and guessed wrong in that one particular area of it?

You know better than me how much classic evidence the pathing in that area of Burning Woods is based on: maybe you have a pile which refutes this. But if there isn't any, and it was just a "best guess", then this (almost) classic evidence suggests that there should be a safe area west of those ruins.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Kobold

several years ago, on my first of 3 bursts of playing p1999, I tried to level in burning woods. On live, it was a pretty nice zone for scoring kunark spells and leveling to 54. On p1999, I found NONE of the 'safe' areas to rest that i still remembered from live worked out, this particular area you're specifying included. I also got worked a few times by mobs aggroing on me from very far away, as if I had gotten near them on my way in, and they waited until I sat down to aggro.
I gave up on this zone a long time ago. something about the trees also produces lag, and this from a guy who played on live with dial up and a pentium III successfully.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I very much get the sense that it was always a "dangerous" zone, even on live, but the lack of fine details here has resulted in it not just being dangerous, but more unplayable here than on live.

I found another example (this one's from 2007, but again I find it hard to believe SOE bothered to make pathing worse in an old Kunark zone years later); again emphasis added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zones.html?zstrat=77#m119271222383044347
I have found a great spot to grind AA'a (72 so far, with 53 more to go) that is totaly safe from adds. East of the Giant fort (loc 1200 m472) are some ruins with 6 undead spawns which are either Green or Light Blue to me at 55. Wipe everything out, med 15 seconds (sometimes!) and back to work. Paladin OWNAGE is an understatement.
I just checked and it has a bunch of Sarnaks and such pathing through it on P99.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-20-2020 at 04:40 PM..
Old 06-22-2020, 04:06 PM
Fire Giant

A lot zones for kunark are this way here on p1999. Areas that are suppose to be safe or minimal risk are not. When i posted about this in past, If i remember correctly, i was told it has to do with mob pathing not adjusted properly / and or very low on list of things to address.

Could be argued that it make p1999 more challenging, but yea i agree burning woods safe area would be nice to back as it was live.

Dam nice feature for any kiting class to have the entire area south east and east of the giant fort be a safe zone. The tree line going north from the undead house at northern tip of meteor crateer was the eastern boundary of the this safe area.

I spent many a hours/day grinding in live with my paladin pulling from the little undead house near the northern end of the meteor crater. Just north of this undead house was a safe spot mobs would wander up to the tree line going north from the undead house and then stop and turn away.

Sadly there is no proof of these behavior by wandering mob that lead to these safe spots in burning woods. Only player memories.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 06-22-2020 at 04:15 PM..
Old 06-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

P99 has custom pathing nodes built from ground up.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:58 PM
Fire Giant

my post on this problem from 2011

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50690

ps

There is more safe area than those i have drawn as orig poster has pointed out

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 06-22-2020 at 09:02 PM..