Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Banned

how bout for green 2: no legacy items and delete chanters hahaha
Old 05-14-2021, 10:05 AM
Aviak

Anything past 500 people on a classic server is overkill, especially when everyone knows everything. Delete red, and bring back teal ffs.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to love this server and would play it in between TLP on and off throughout the years. When green released, I was as excited as everyone else and went in fairly hardcore. I actually preferred the corpse runs, the slower exp, the fact that mostly everything was the way I remember it. It felt like being in a time machine.

The problem I think with the green launch is that they did too many experimental changes that made it no longer feel like eq while leaving in too many balance issues. Green server kinda showed me what eq would be like if played by a modern crowd - everything gets solod, everyone fights over the best zones, people ignore half the areas in the game. Everyone was a solo class. I was still fun, but I think it left me disillusioned and sort of erased everything that I had experienced on blue the years prior.

I also think things like the forced lighting(which killed my performance) and the list stuff were terrible changes. Maybe it's better now that it's in kunark but I can't find the desire to come back to p99 anymore.
You're 100% correct, but the goal here is to make a museum piece of a game, not to make it fun. QOL changes that were actually fun and didn't change the overall experience are dogmatically rejected, because NeCkBeArD tears.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're 100% correct, but the goal here is to make a museum piece of a game, not to make it fun. QOL changes that were actually fun and didn't change the overall experience are dogmatically rejected, because NeCkBeArD tears.
Very true, but P1999 is many things to many people. It’s quite wonderful really. Seeing the conflicting agendas and arguments play out is equally fascinating.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-14-2021, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a case where no P99 implementation will be entirely classic, nor entirely wrong, because it varied server to server depending on the whims of the GMs. On one server they would've (and did) force people to leave if they hogged camps for too long, on a second server they didn't respect camps at all, on a third they might've let someone hog it forever. Of course nobody knew in advance that manastones and similar items were going to be removed so we're simulating what would've been a psychic population in 1999. Custom solutions suit custom problems, I suppose.

Manowarr has an accurate assessment: A lot of P99's rules are designed to reduce staff workload first, maintain classic feel as secondary priority.

Danth
As in era CSR I don’t remember ever making someone leave a camp for being at it too long, nor do I remember that being told to staff as something that you were allowed to do.

Honestly, back in the day someone holding down camps for days at a time wasn’t really as rampant as it is on P99 really. For various reasons. One being that you didn’t have nearly as much account sharing back then; people guarded their accounts closely and it didn’t become the norm to have guilds sharing accounts for example until a few years in. Another reason was simply lack of knowledge...not everyone knew how valuable certain items could be whether in plat or their use in raids etc (also didn’t know they would later be nerfed so there wasn’t this mad rush to get them).
Old 05-14-2021, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

A lot of dial up connections where i was from would automatically cut out after 2 hours of being connected. Not sure if that was something that happened at all in the US, but yeah it really incentivised keeping sessions to 2hrs or at least scheduling 2hrly breaks!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-14-2021, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As in era CSR I don’t remember ever making someone leave a camp for being at it too long, nor do I remember that being told to staff as something that you were allowed to do.
The more I got into playing here the more these new rules came into conflict with my classic experience.

I'm sitting at Fear entrance and people are rolling to race. Oh look a 900 lets roll! If this named is up we have to get leave and come back! You have to be this close to spawn point to claim it. If you get your item you have to leave. It just goes on and on. There's whole pages dedicated on the wiki to esoteric points about camp rules, with ambiguous and contradictory quotes from long-forgotten GMs.

I mean whatever, I try to follow the rules and be a nice person in-game, which is what I did back then and I'm doing now, but still. I understand people know everything now, and communication is a lot easier, and people have learned to game and exploit the system, but these rules ain't classic. Not at all.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:33 PM
Banned

OP never had any real enthusiasm for classic everquest

Just ezmode overfarmed p99 boxes with 100x longer xpac timelines
Old 05-14-2021, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Honestly, back in the day someone holding down camps for days at a time wasn’t really as rampant as it is on P99 really. For various reasons. One being that you didn’t have nearly as much account sharing back then; people guarded their accounts closely and it didn’t become the norm to have guilds sharing accounts for example until a few years in. Another reason was simply lack of knowledge...not everyone knew how valuable certain items could be whether in plat or their use in raids etc (also didn’t know they would later be nerfed so there wasn’t this mad rush to get them).
Account sharing was bannable if you said you shared it with anyone.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Account sharing was bannable if you said you shared it with anyone.
I'm also pretty sure on live staff did not intervene on camp disputes. Any sort of "claiming" of camps was just like a social contract.
Closed Thread