Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 02:54 PM
Banned

The Lore was there in generalities

Development is an entirely different ball game

EQ Vanilla at release was still basically in a beta state so it could make money over summer
Old 07-05-2021, 11:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for all the informative posts. That PC Gamer article was a great read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekk99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The article was a promotion for the upcoming EQ release, and contained detailed descriptions of the races, classes, and had some quotes from Brad McQuaid. In it, McQuaid said that the world would consist of five continents: Odus, Antonica, Faydwer, Kunark, and Velious.

That would suggest, as others have said, that the world was conceptualized well before launch, though it seems that they couldn't finish everything they wanted by the original release.
I haven't seen that one but will look for it. As a matter of fact even Odus was only partially finished on release, wasn't it? If I recall it consisted only of Erudin, Toxxulia, Kerra Isle and I guess you could throw in Erud's Crossing. Paineel, The Hole, The Warrens and Stonebrunt were all added later.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah erudin was a major ghost town and even with the hole update is barely a complete place.

The McQuaid quote is a reason that this project ends with velious which seems to be closest to intended complete vision before game seems to go sideways.

If I was developing a server for no reason I would make a vanilla + server that fills in the vanilla world to the max, but probably not going to kunark and velious because of how they obsolete the vanilla stuff in an unnatural progression.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

It can also help to know that after this time period the devs left for other projects. After that EQ development became make it up as you go with lore and expansions.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:01 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekk99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember when Velious came out, the marketing (maybe even on the box) said it was an expansion focusing on higher level (35+) players. I wonder if that was always planned or if they decided that needed to be the case after 2 years of the game being out.
Probably a combination of both. The fact there were no new races released with Velious allowed them to make it a higher level content expansion while Kunark had the introduction of the Iksar and therefore needed new player zones/content.
Closed Thread