Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 08:06 AM
Sarnak

I’d also recommend having him read as much of the wiki as possible, especially anything lore related. The world of Everquest is really what hooked so many of us (lord knows it is t the gameplay mechanics). There is a lot of great content on there that can help set the stage for the history of eq. There are also some good videos on YouTube you could point him to as wel.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:21 AM
Aviak

Don't twink him a ton...set him up with some starting gear though for sure. If he is a plate wearer , get him some very low-end plate (Bronze, fine steel ) and let him work from there. That way he likes the way his character looks, can take a beating , and still have tons of room to grow.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:52 AM
Orc

I like all the ways to slowly twink unless we go double caster then no need really. Every few levels give one piece sounds fun. A good way to keep the carrot dangling in front. Depends on what he wants to play mostly. Only class I might discourage at the beginning is warrior.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Kobold

Have tried bringing two people in, they didn't care for it. They will never know what they are missing.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the early level struggle is key to setting the context of the world of EQ. That being said it can be a tad slow especially when it’s not a new server where the struggle is universal.

One way I’ve twinked myself is by filling a couple bags with the gear then doing a /ran 16 ( decreasing by one) each level and then equipping the item in that bag slot. Makes each level a jolt of excitement. Some levels you get a game changing item (new weapon or haste) and others it’s less powerful but still fun.
This is a fun idea! I might do that next time I create a toon from scratch
Old 08-01-2021, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

There are ways to make it easy, as if it is “fun” to you both that is a different question. EQ can be exceptionally slow and boring even if one is used to WoW let alone modern games. I’d also pick two of the same race or at least fairly close starting areas and the same alignment (probably good, if mixing and matching).

If really torn figure out who will likely get bored first and make sure they get their pick of the “fun” class and find another that works well with that one. Maybe a couple pet classes since gear is less important, especially if duoing.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:52 AM
Fire Giant

Eq sucks - people still play cause its social
Old 08-04-2021, 01:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the early level struggle is key to setting the context of the world of EQ. That being said it can be a tad slow especially when it’s not a new server where the struggle is universal.

One way I’ve twinked myself is by filling a couple bags with the gear then doing a /ran 16 ( decreasing by one) each level and then equipping the item in that bag slot. Makes each level a jolt of excitement. Some levels you get a game changing item (new weapon or haste) and others it’s less powerful but still fun.

That sounds kind of cool. I also considered doing the /ran for class and race. Something to add a bit of excitement and drama.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo23 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok boys and girl, I actually talked another person into starting p99. He's never played eq before but mechanically I think he will like it. He's a fan of old school runescape so he's no stranger to old games and bad graphics tradeoff for fun (to him) gameplay.

I've only had luck getting friends to play p99 that previously play eq back in the day with me and never a total noob like my little brother. Looking for advice on how to help get him hooked. I'm set on not twinking a lot but I'm not sure if zero twinking is best. I'll let him pick whatever class he wants and I'll pick second. I'll try to let him lead the adventures and just answer questions as he thi ks of them. Stuff like that.

Anyone have succes bringing in somebody totally new to eq? Is there any hope he stays or is the game just to old and my nostalgia is blinding me?
If he wants to play a melee, just have him go monk. There really isn't a better option in a starter duo setup. Of course you'll be forced into playing a shaman but its one of the safest, strongest duos in the game. You cannot go wrong if you don't have a shaman in your stable of characters yet.

If he wants to be a caster you have some options. I'm a huge fan of necro + enchanter...I think its probably the strongest XP duo in the game (outside of dumb shit like bard + wizard where you just kite all day).

If he isn't going to be the most competent / attentive player and is OK with a more passive role throw him on a cleric and do all the work on as an enchanter.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:33 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo23 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok boys and girl, I actually talked another person into starting p99. He's never played eq before but mechanically I think he will like it. He's a fan of old school runescape so he's no stranger to old games and bad graphics tradeoff for fun (to him) gameplay.

I've only had luck getting friends to play p99 that previously play eq back in the day with me and never a total noob like my little brother. Looking for advice on how to help get him hooked. I'm set on not twinking a lot but I'm not sure if zero twinking is best. I'll let him pick whatever class he wants and I'll pick second. I'll try to let him lead the adventures and just answer questions as he thi ks of them. Stuff like that.

Anyone have succes bringing in somebody totally new to eq? Is there any hope he stays or is the game just to old and my nostalgia is blinding me?
At least use the 2 graphic mods on the p99 wiki.

If u play green server with horrid client... than it might be hard to like. But green is p.cool for new player compared to old worn out blue.
Closed Thread