Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 05:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So now its a dead end for me, as I won't encourage anyone that isn't already hopelessly playing games for endorphins to play it, or any game that I love.
Wisdom.

Besides, when EQ released no one really had a clue as to how far mobile & social media would change the culture. Today people can't sit still for more than 2 minutes without reaching for their mobile smart device.

I think it's only natural to push in the other direction.

Wearing earphones and listening to music or podcasts while inside a professional office building has become normal and acceptable even by members of upper management. Do you know how absurd it is to say hello to someone and they just walk by, then you are left to figure out "Oh, they are listening to those damn earphones."

Our culture got really weird with tech and what triggered the big change was Steve Jobs, Samsung and Mark Zuckerberg. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

No one triggered it on purpose. It's instrumentalized on purpose but products were made to be as addictive or useful or engaging as possible and later people developed business models that exploited the data generated by those interactions. Facebook wasn't originally a data harvesting tool for nefarious purposes, but that is what it became.

This is the result of the people that Americans tend to think of as overseeing and regulating their commerce activities (they don't allow me to open a hair salon without some kinda state or county certificate so of course they are considering the impacts my cell phone or internet activities) but the fact is that the regulators don't know enough or care enough or benefit too much from letting companies like facebook run rampant.

Headphones in an office is another thing that people never really considered but it just became OK. Some offices do not allow them.

EQ was engaging enough for full attention span when it came out and it could crash at any second. Now that it runs better, it's more likely that a person is going to play two servers at the same time to manage downtime, and have a movie on or at least an audiobook or something.

I used to be engaged in /tell conversation and /ooc conversation and /shout conversation and /auction selling activities 100% of my time online in EQ but these days its pretty quiet in the text based world of EQ and people are in the equivilent of teamspeak/vent/now discord with a smaller group of people they interact with and don't generally need to use /tell

Plus since the game is beaten they know its a bit of a waste of time to travel around to sell 20pp gloves to a noob versus vendoring them and focusing on getting phat loots.

So theres some stuff thats fixable and some that isn't but the thing that never changed is we should encourage people we love to engage in more fruitful activities.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:18 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavitael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im only 19 but it just seems so damn cool, the root of gaming. i remember watching my dad play wow when i was a little kid and this game is like wows dad! but every time i think about getting into it i just dont end up playing....
I'm on the same boat as you. Started playing today and I went with a warrior, it's not exactly working out for me.
I'll try out of some of the suggestions from this thread [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-07-2021, 12:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimapan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm on the same boat as you. Started playing today and I went with a warrior, it's not exactly working out for me.
I'll try out of some of the suggestions from this thread [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah the warrior! You can make it work, but it will be a bit frustrating. There are so many awesome ways to play the game that it might be worth playing another character, at least for a while.

Let me recommend the shaman, you can play it like a warrior and you also get some amazing spells that will make you very powerful. It’s also fun and with more tool to help you problem solve.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:03 PM
Large Bat

i kind of got bored and gave up but i think im gonna give it another try now
Old 07-22-2021, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior is the simplest play style. You can kill mobs with swords better than anyone else but then you gotta sit around and bandage your wounds slowly.

Consider trying some other class that interests you. The ones with spells are easier to progress in this game, solo.

If you're a warrior you will want to find strong groups and stay with them as long as possible, which is the best way to play the game anyways but you are really dependent versus having some flexibility.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

My brother and I saved up 600 dollars to buy a pc to play this game. I was 10th grade and he was 8th. Was in 2001, remember like it was yesterday. We played Rallos.Zek and I went hafling cleric and he went Iksar SK. Same account of course cuz 1 computer and 10 bucks a month was a lot.

If your on blue msg me and give me your char name (whatever you decide to go with) and I will hook you up with pp and items.

I’d suggest Druid, Necro, Cleric or Shaman for first class. If you must go melee I’d suggest Monk or Pal/Sk.
Last edited by ScottBerta; 07-22-2021 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-23-2021, 08:27 AM
Fire Giant

If you want to try RED /friend Errvin I love helping people get going strong.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wisdom.

Besides, when EQ released no one really had a clue as to how far mobile & social media would change the culture. Today people can't sit still for more than 2 minutes without reaching for their mobile smart device.

I think it's only natural to push in the other direction.

Wearing earphones and listening to music or podcasts while inside a professional office building has become normal and acceptable even by members of upper management. Do you know how absurd it is to say hello to someone and they just walk by, then you are left to figure out "Oh, they are listening to those damn earphones."

Our culture got really weird with tech and what triggered the big change was Steve Jobs, Samsung and Mark Zuckerberg. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha, so true

This is going off on a bit of a tangent from the original question in this thread, but I'm one of those people who got too sucked into tech and I'm wearing wireless headphones (highly recommend apple powerbeats pro, they sound amazing) quite a lot of the time in public. For example, if I'm shopping at a grocery store, I usually have my headphones in. I'll be listening to either music or a angry political podcast or something. I purposefully will put them in when I don't want to be bothered, I call them my "fuck off" headphones. But it does definitely cause me to be more anti-social. Luckily my entire job is talking to people so I get enough conversational exposure that way

And I am completely addicted to the distractions my phone provides. There's a certain time in my job where I got into a particular section of hospitals where phones are not allowed due to patient privacy (phones have cameras). It's during these stretches, sometimes up to 15-20 minutes of waiting...with no phone...that I realize just how much I need my phone for downtime. I'm constantly wanting to grab it, having to re-remind myself I can't do it or staff will yell at me. When I was a kid, cell phones weren't even a thing. And the first cell phones I had sucked. These new phones have completely changed me, and probably not in a good way
Old 07-25-2021, 02:20 AM
Large Bat

ive decided i want to play a melee caster. mostly thinking of either shadowknight or shaman

how big of a deal is the shadowknight xp penalty?

and how do i know what stats to give my character in creation?
Closed Thread