Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:48 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default How much of Kunark was leftover from the original release vs new development?

A question about EQ development history.

Do you think that content in the Kunark expansion was 100% created after the original game was released? Or did it contain some leftover ideas, zones, etc. that didn't weren't finished for the original game and retrooled for the expansion?

This topic crossed my mind when thinking about the similarity and difference between Iksar and the lizardmen of the Feerott and Rathe Mountains. Consider also the Swamp Of No Hope which has a froglok city and the innothule swamp. So in both cases there's a zone of cazic worshipping lizardmen in close proximity to a swamp of frogloks. I wonder if the original plan might have been for the lizardmen to be a playable race in the old world.

How about other dungeons or zones? Is it possible that some of the areas in the original map that don't exist in the game were finished, renamed and used as part of Kunark?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds reasonable to me, really.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Most of the first few expansions predate the whole game as the world was originally a home brew dnd campaign which got turned into a 3d graphical mud.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

The concept and probably some of the basic design for said zones/continents pre-dates the original launch. We know they planned to have additional landmasses called "Velious" and "Kunark." Signs advertising said continents are visible at the Erudin and Freeport docks, respectively.

Very little of the physical world appears to predate release. Kunark assets have more detail and visibly higher allotments for polygon counts/etc. Zone lines are done differently, and so forth.

Danth
Old 06-21-2021, 04:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of the first few expansions predate the whole game as the world was originally a home brew dnd campaign which got turned into a 3d graphical mud.
Really? I didn't know about the homebrew D&D campaign. I know there's some MUD that the classes were largely lifted from. The name of the MUD escapes me right now. But when I looked into that it seemed like the lore/world of that MUD wasn't used for EQ, just the classes and abilities. If there was a D&D campaign that the lore was based on that would make sense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The concept and probably some of the basic design for said zones/continents pre-dates the original launch. We know they planned to have additional landmasses called "Velious" and "Kunark." Signs advertising said continents are visible at the Erudin and Freeport docks, respectively.
Wow, I didn't know that either. I also never noticed the signs on the docks. There are NPCs that mention velious and kunark in the old world but I assume those were added after the original release. There's also research items like "Ice of Velious" which I assume to have been added later.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

Check the docks in Erudin. Promises passage to Velious iirc. The barbarian lenka in Freepoort seafarers roost also talks of her adventures in velious iirc.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:34 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Hey OP you might enjoy this:
https://www.pcgamer.com/breaking-the...ed-everything/
Old 06-25-2021, 12:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Check the docks in Erudin. Promises passage to Velious iirc. The barbarian lenka in Freepoort seafarers roost also talks of her adventures in velious iirc.
Nice to see Erudin totally made good on those promises and didn't just leave it to the gnom- ohhh wait
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really? I didn't know about the homebrew D&D campaign. I know there's some MUD that the classes were largely lifted from. The name of the MUD escapes me right now. But when I looked into that it seemed like the lore/world of that MUD wasn't used for EQ, just the classes and abilities. If there was a D&D campaign that the lore was based on that would make sense though.

The story, world, and characters came from Bill Trost DM'ing for several of the original designers. You can dig around with his name, its pretty interesting to read tidbits about the Plane of Mud or the halfling cleric GM.
Last edited by Crawdad; 06-27-2021 at 07:04 PM..
Old 07-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

There is a thread somewhere on the forums (maybe in the screenshots board if IIRC) that has a link to or old pictures of a gaming magazine spread on EQ.

The article was a promotion for the upcoming EQ release, and contained detailed descriptions of the races, classes, and had some quotes from Brad McQuaid. In it, McQuaid said that the world would consist of five continents: Odus, Antonica, Faydwer, Kunark, and Velious.

That would suggest, as others have said, that the world was conceptualized well before launch, though it seems that they couldn't finish everything they wanted by the original release.

I've wondered, too, about the differences between the Iksar and the lizardmen of Cazic Thule. Was that planned before release or was it something they went with due to time/budget restrictions at the time? Seems like it may have always been planned that way.

And yes, the Odus docks do advertise passage to Velious. I wonder why that never happened. May have made it too difficult for evil races to use the boat? And in Freeport, Lenka Stoutheart says her ship made the Kunark run in under two weeks (I think; as well as passage to Kunark being advertised on the docks--again, I wonder why it didn't materialize in Freeport).

I remember when Velious came out, the marketing (maybe even on the box) said it was an expansion focusing on higher level (35+) players. I wonder if that was always planned or if they decided that needed to be the case after 2 years of the game being out.
Closed Thread