Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 12:19 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Enchanter Gear Goals

Hey All! Just coming back to EQ after years, and wondering what I should be striving for gear wise as a low level Dark Elf Enchanter? Never played one before, current level 7.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:33 AM
Sarnak

I would focus on getting an item that resets the global spell cooldown, and getting CHA items because there are a bunch that can be gotten very cheap. HP and INT are also important for enc, but HP items tend to be expensive, and INT isn't as important as CHA especially at these early levels.

You want something to reset global spell cooldown because you can cast spells really fast! The easiest item to get that does this is a spyglass. Later on, you will want to do rod of insidious glamor quest to replace the spyglass and it also has a lot of +CHA on it. The rod is BIS until epic. Personally I would prioritise getting the Spyglass over any other bit of gear.

As for CHA gear, there is a lot that can be gotta very cheap, or camped once you're around the mid 20s:
  • Run to Ogguk and ask someone kililng the guards to loot a stein, or failing that, buy one off a vendor for about 7pp. Since you're a DE, you can do this immediately
  • +CHA braclets and rings can be bought fairly cheap in EC from a jeweler
  • Loam gear is very cheap, get all of it if you have the cash, but priortise the boots.
  • Oppalline earings from unrest
  • Drake legs from solA
  • Incandescent_Mask

I've written this assuming you have no cash. If you do have cash, then it basically stays the same, except get the best jewler made HP rings you can get. Also, the rod isn't clickable until 30ish, so even if you can afford to buy it straight away you will still want the spyglass.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:21 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Awesome this is just what I was looking for! Thanks for the help!~
Old 07-27-2021, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Char, Int, HP and mana
Old 07-27-2021, 08:40 AM
Sarnak

https://wiki.project1999.com/Enchanter_Newbie_Gear

the above guide is pretty useful.

you might be able to pickup a few items just by asking in the tunnels and saying you new/starting out (crude stein, cat eye braclets, oppaline earrings are all <50p per piece and might be gifted if you tell them this is your only toon and your new to the server).

otherwise if you want to collect bone chips you can sell them about 10p a stack. or just find groups, level, and dont worry to much about gear. charisma wont matter until you start charming (which you get around lvl 16 but may not be reliable until around lvl 30).

definitely get rod of insidious glamour as soon as its usable, and make sure to understand why its useful (gcd clicky reset). it can be quested at lvl 30 with a little bit of help.

good luck!
Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM
Sarnak

Squad ring is 5+ cha drop from guards in rivervale, should be able to illusion and sneak in there for a loot, they will rot since they are no-drop.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Squad_Ring_(dropped)

Silk evening tunic is 5+ cha chest piece sold in Qeynos at a vendor for a few plat, worth a purchase, it's great for a very long time.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Silk_Evening_Tunic

Someone already mentioned the oggok stein but I'll link it again, it rots as well in oggok. 15+ cha

https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Crude_Stein

I would save your plat for a Rod of insidious glamour, unless you plan to quest for it in your 30s, it's HUGE quality of life and only like 400-500p or so, you can't click it for the GCD effect till 30 so there's no rush, another 12 cha.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Rod_of_Insidious_Glamour

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Old 07-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Banned

I’ll list all my char’s gear off the top of my head. I think I got it all from EC tunnel quest for about 3-4K-ish total

2 opalline earrings
2 cats eye bracers (I upgraded these to loam eventually tho even at a cha loss)
Incandescent mask
Loam helm (you can do siren hair hood for more cha but it is much more expensive)
Loam shoulders
Gypsy medallion
Loam shoes
Gatorscale sleeves
Loam cloak
Loam belt
Drake hide legs
2 platinum fire wedding rings
Incandescent gloves
Flowing black robe (any robe will work, not worth spending 1000’s of pp for SMR or froglok robe, there are a few with decent stats that are 300pp or less)
Rod of insidious glamour mainhand - an absolute must for the GCD reset
Crude Stein offhand
Sarnak ceremonial dagger ranged slot

This is all off the top of my head so sorry if I missed anything

With this setup you should have around 133int and 204ish unbuffed charisma. Then with your charisma buffs you can pump the cha up to around 235, later even more (my chanter is only lev 41)

This is a bit overkill on the charisma, but with this amount if you go after charming mostly greens and very low blue cons your charms should hold very well, although even with 235+ cha I still get the occasional random break, just last night I had charm break on a green con the split second it landed…frustrating

But the cool thing about chanters is this gear is all relatively cheap. It will leave you with not a lot of int, but this is compensated by your mana regen buffs. You don’t need a huge pool when you can sit and regenerate as you kill stuff. However, I personally never attempt to charm kill things unless I am at full mana. This way I know I will always have mana for if things go wrong. It’s the enchanters who decide to try to charm when they were at 50% mana that end up dying [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by unsunghero; 07-27-2021 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-02-2021, 12:09 AM
Sarnak

Haven't played in a long time or during Velious so don't know if what I'm about to say is still relevant but...

One thing I don't see mentioned is the Stein of Moggok. I usually do the Stein of Moggok quest early on. It does take quite a bit of time to do though, but if you can bum ports from Dial A Port (usually want to donate 1pp/level, but they may let it slide for lowbies) you can cut down on the time substantially. Also, can be dangerous at certain points if invis drops, and Kithicor is dangerous at night now even with invis. It might be better worth your time just leveling up at a cash camp if you can get access to one. The quest is pretty interesting I think, though.

Apparently, a dark elf ENC can do it as low as level 4, but I've never played DE so personally have only done it once I became a teen in levels. Consult the guide on the Wiki (I noticed though in the DE guide it says you can't turn in all 4 items to Gregor at once, but that's what I've always done). Just make very sure you are using ALL of the CORRECT items. If he eats your items you can make a thread about it on the petition board to get reimbursed.

I usually would do this quest like 3 or 4 times to sell steins to get spending money (e.g. to buy cheap CHA gear that you don't plan on camping yourself). But again, if you can get a cash camp, that may be a better use of your time.

Also, I guess if you're going to buy a Rod of Insidious Glamour early, instead of quest it yourself, then you don't need a Stein of Moggok.

I also don't see mentioned the two big ticket, game-changing equipment you'll want save up plat to get (or grab from your main): J Boots and Goblin Gazughi Ring. People were selling the multiquest for 5k when I last played. Goblin Gazughi Ring price seems to have come down to 6k, 5k if you're lucky. If you have a high level alt, you could try to camp them yourself. GGR camp can be particularly miserable I've heard, though.
Last edited by TripSin; 08-02-2021 at 12:12 AM..
Old 08-15-2021, 04:34 AM
Large Bat

I main enchanter, I have yet to see CHA affect charm durations from sub 100 to over 200.
There does seem to be a mechanic if there are multiple adds pulled while you have a pet, its highly likely it will break. Like 9/10 times it breaks.

The only other reason people say to get CHA is for Mez outright-resist-chance. The only place where I found this to be true is mezzing raid content.

HP is your true friend, you're gonna get smacked a lot!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I main enchanter, I have yet to see CHA affect charm durations from sub 100 to over 200.
There does seem to be a mechanic if there are multiple adds pulled while you have a pet, its highly likely it will break. Like 9/10 times it breaks.

The only other reason people say to get CHA is for Mez outright-resist-chance. The only place where I found this to be true is mezzing raid content.

HP is your true friend, you're gonna get smacked a lot!
To my knowledge cha has no effect on mez resists, only on lull success rates. Considering a critical resist of a lull is almost always a bad time, it definitely comes in handy there

There have been parses done I’ve seen at various cha breakpoints showing a higher average charm duration. Basically the way I’ve seen it broken down is there is a regular “pulse” after charm lands which is a break-check. This happens at set points in time which are very frequent. Each break check does an RNG calculation with variables including mob level, caster level, mob’s MR, and caster charisma. Of those variables, charisma has the LEAST impact on charm breaking. This isn’t to say that it’s impact is completely insignificant, only that mob level, caster level, and mob MR matters so much moreso

I know it’s anecdotal, but the last time I grouped was like 3 levels ago in bar room at SolA. With 235 buffed cha, I was able to keep a low blue con inferno goblin wizard charmed for almost the entire spell duration every time. This included full bathroom breaks, and many minutes of downtime. When the beguile spell finally faded, I would just color shift, refresh tash, and re-charm, and the new charm would last another 8+ minutes. All in all, I kept the same mob charmed for almost 2 hours. It was so steady that I decided to haste him, no problems. I get the random occasional breaks with green cons even, but charms with 200+ cha seem pretty steady. And the only thing I would gain by sacrificing cha would be int, when I’ve very very rarely said “man I ran oom too fast, I wish I had more mana”. Most of the time my pool size is fine enough, and I’m just waiting on regen to do things

The only time I can recall where total mana pool size limits me, is if I am trying to break a camp with charming and lulling, and like 2-3 adds come too. So I have a situation where I have 5-6 mobs that I am rotating mez on, my mana bar is getting close to half, and I realize I just don’t have the mana to finish all these off even with charming, and so I gate. That is the only situation thus far where I wish I had a bigger mana pool (thus far)

Edit: ya actually HP would be more welcome than int. I would say probably 90% of the damage I take is during color shift’s short cast time. That’s for all cc and charm break kills. But even though it’s during a short cast time, that doesn’t mean it’s only a small amount of damage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by unsunghero; 08-15-2021 at 01:09 PM..
Closed Thread