Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 06:03 PM
Fire Giant

Part of the appeal of classic timelocked servers is knowing that there will be an end goal and a point where you could enjoy being the most powerful you can be on the server. It's partly why WoW Classic interested me a while back (before the community there ruined it) and it's why I love playing on P99.

That is just part of it too. Velious itself is when I think I had the most fun out of any era in EQ. PoP too but I can live without that one. xD
Old 08-01-2021, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Try p2002, I think that may be what your looking for.
Last edited by ScottBerta; 08-01-2021 at 12:12 AM..
Old 08-01-2021, 01:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try p2002, I think that may be what your looking for.
I played Al'Kabor for a while but the allowance of boxing really killed it for me. As far as I know 2002 is also the same thing.

PoP was cool but it's not a gamebreaker for me. I'm happy here. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-01-2021, 06:03 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfminster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's the point of playing on a permanently 'classic' server and how is P99 classic?
Don't be fooled by the advertising, p99 is far from classic any more.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:16 AM
Kobold

P99 is not classic but it's a lot closer than what you get on live from TLP servers. Saying that... I do wish we'd move into Shadows of Luclin. It opens up more raid content, AA's, and beastlords. Clearly just an opinion of mine that will never happen which is fine. Either way it's fun to play here.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

The ones who played from day one and got the prenerf stuff have a permanent advantage over everybody who arrives after them so P99 permanently favours those who arrived first. If you arrived later you will never have the same opportunity as they did so you will always be inferior no matter what you do which is really bad game design.

Not always, it depends on what class and race you play. Rogues, Enchanters, and Bards have no permanent advantages or missing items that cant be obtained through the entire timeline. Another example is certain race class combos, such as Erudite Cazic Thule Clerics, and Dark Elf Wizards. There is no items they cant get.

Races are permanently unbalanced.

Yup

Classes are permanently unbalanced.

Sort of Yup, but thats every game
Old 08-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic includes the first two expansions because of a ton of reasons. Basically the same people were still working at Verant while Verant was still a thing so it kept the same feel through out that period. Small changes occurred in Kunark like steeper experience curves plus 50 and mob density was raised in some zones making travel a little more difficult but that seemed to lower a bit in Velious but really it was the same game. It basically looked the same and faction still mattered. Fast forward to Luclin and the trading that was a mainstay in EC tunnel or NFP on some servers was killed off, easier self porting now existed, all of the player models got changed to bow legged monstrosities and Paludal Cavern exp killed off low level experience groups elsewhere and really was the start of minimizing starting cities and their surrounding low level zones. Also in classic, equipment stats were still low and every item felt unique and non-cookie cutter. It just gets worse the further you go along in the expansions but it was Luclin that started the ball rolling.
That's why you do what UO Outlands did [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Ze results speak for themselves.

Diverge from the timeline friend.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfminster [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ones who played from day one and got the prenerf stuff have a permanent advantage over everybody who arrives after them so P99 permanently favours those who arrived first. If you arrived later you will never have the same opportunity as they did so you will always be inferior no matter what you do which is really bad game design.
Agreed. Kind of exciting when the server starts over though.

Quote:
Races are permanently unbalanced.
Would you really want them balanced? I like the differences, all have pros and cons. Personally I can't stand Iksar.

Quote:
Classes are permanently unbalanced.
Again, would you really want them balanced? Something for every player out there, some like to solo, some like to group, etc.

Quote:
All the best spots are perma camped because it's such a small crowded place.
This is one thing I find kind of annoying, I wish there was instancing sometimes.

Quote:
There will never be a sci-fi aspect like there is in Luclin.
If I wanted a sci-fi game, I'd play a sci-fi game. EQ just doesn't belong in sci-fi in my opinion.

Quote:
There will never be Beastlords.
While I liked beastlords, it's no big deal.

Quote:
Iksar have a permanent advantage over all other races (more bad game design) due to lack of regen items.
But you have to overcome being hated by every race and 20% exp penalty to get said advantage. I think it's a wash.

Quote:
Ogres have a permanent advantage over all other races (more bad game design) due to lack of AA abilities.
Yes and they have to deal with ducking to get through small doors, hated around the world, and 15% exp penalty. It's a wash.

Quote:
It's an unnofficial emulated server; it's not the real thing.
It's pretty damn close to what I remember the real thing being.

Quote:
There will never be an official, professional and honest game designer to step in and fix the broken things so that it's fair for all regardless of when you start playing or what race you play.
I think they fix things that are broken just fine.

Quote:
How is P99 classic? There are two expansions; how is that classic?
I do love classic EQ before any expansions, it's my favorite. However, most people consider the trilogy as classic.

Quote:
At least on live you can be just like everybody else, with enough time and effort, so even if you arrive late to the party you're not stuck in inferior mode like you are on P99 and you're not forced to pick a certain race or side because of balance issues (whether they are real or perceived).

Do you enjoy playing a in a permanently broken world? I guess if you are at the top of the pyramid because you arrived first and took advantage of bad game design which was later fixed (but not retroactively) then the answer is YES.

It's lovely to see people in newbies areas but I don't think they realise that they are just there to serve the people who arrived first.
Stick around for Green 2.0 if that is truly important to you.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds like World of Warcraft is calling you friend - good luck in Azeroth.

There is enough content on P99 to keep you busy for like 10 years if you really wanted to muddle through every class. And it sounds like you have never played P99 if you think the racial traits and legacy items give people any sort of meaningful advantage (they dont). The great thing about P99 is you can play casually and the bar doesn't keep getting moved (IE you come back after a break and a new expansion hasn't rendered all your gains moot).

It is what it is, classic EQ with none of the modern QoL changes. It may not be perfect but its the closest thing to how I remember Everquest being as a youth.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 08-02-2021 at 02:41 PM..
Old 08-02-2021, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Also, I would like to point out that unless you are an unemployed loser your chances of getting manastone, holgresh beads, fungi staff, locket of escape (really the only 4 items worth mentioning) are basically 0 even if you start on day 1.

P99 is about grinding and denying others, if that doesnt sound appealing then stop before you start.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread