Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On average, hill giants tip better than players. Conclusion: not worth it to port players unless friends or feeling merciful.
I disagree with that completely. If you are porting well and are well known you can easily make HG or SF money.

It's all about port management and prioritizing your ports.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 07-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyftfingers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only been on the server 6 months, and I have 100k. Like I said, platinum is everywhere....surprised inflation isn't worse than it is.
I'm a hug proponent of tipping fairly. I will say though that I highly doubt most players accumulate 100k in their first 6 months. Maybe if unemployed.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyftfingers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if people tipped their level in plat
What a levelist! I bet you are a racist as well, and expect Ogres to pay more due to the extra mana required to lift their gigantic asses into the ether. Or are you a classist, and think that antisocial Shadow knights should pay more than pompous, self-aggrandizing Paladins?

More seriously: When someone oocs that they want to buy a port, and you port them, you are de facto accepting their price, whatever it is. If you don't like it, negotiate the price in advance. I suppose most porters don't do this because they want to charge by level. They are willing to port for 10p, but they hope to receive 100p from communist sympathizers such as yourself. Judging by these threads, it frequently does not work out - which is hardly surprising. The grocery store doesn't charge lawyers more for hamburger than janitors. The gas station doesn't charge doctors more for gas than chimney sweeps. The lawyer is probably willing to pay more to not starve, and the doctor to drive to work, but that is called consumer surplus.

Businesses solve this consumer surplus 'problem' by offering a slightly improved but vastly more costly service. If I wanted to make a lot of money as a porter, I'd train baking and offer 5 stat foods to anyone who tipped more than 100p. Many enchanters, for example, have a lot of platinum and don't cap charisma (especially int-build gnomes . . . ). A slick macro, a bit of roleplaying, and a few siren pickles and I can feel like I'm getting more than just a port. Or, you could mention that people who tip more than 100p get put on your friends list and get preferential treatment in terms of pickups. But the key is giving people a reason to pay more for your service.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what group wants a dru/wiz?
what camps can a dru/wiz actually farm for $?

yup.
Druids are much improved in Velious. You can charm animals in WW, Sirens, and Kael. Regen clicky BP, POTG, and cold resist buffs that stack with flowers are superb for all wings of TOV, plus ATK and FR debuffs are nice too.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trungep99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tip but some mana being casted is not worth 60 plat in my opinion. That's just greed.
it's just mana right? so 60p is greedy, Well a fungi tunic is just time and mana as well right? so 45kp is some serious greed, maybe you should sell me yours for like I dunno 5k?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

I tip anywhere from 20p to 40p depending on the rush Im in and how quickly they get to me, if I wait I usually find someone else and add 10p to the normal 20p (making 30p) if they happen to be at ring and port me asap, I drop 40p for the fast service. But to ask someone to carry 200 to 500p is a bit much I dont like to carry any more than 200p due to the weight issues on my caster toon.

Most times Im usually going to camp something, or farm up something for someone and not make any plat really. So Im not likely to recover the plat I just spent on port(s).
Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Sarnak

As someone who has done insane amounts of porting I'd say that there are just as many insanely generous, kind people out there that I port as there are people who instantly disband and run off. It all evens out in the end plus I have a pretty nice ignore list to prevent myself for repeat events!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Sarnak

If some people don't tip a hardworking waitress that just served them sustenance for life, do you think they log into a virtual game and all the sudden become generous?

Some people are misers. Some misers play EQ.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 PM
Fire Giant

For making money... I've spent a few Friday or Saturday nights porting people around cause I was bored and made close to 1,000 platinum.

I would have to say that 95% of people I port are generous to donate between 20-50pp each but it's not just for a port. You can get someone who donates 20pp and they will want a port, sow, regenerate, see invis, invis and levitate.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:48 PM
Aviak

Think about this: clerics get resurrection contracts which in my experience average about 75p. If the corpse is halfway across the world and the client is impatient, I have to get a port which runs me about 50p on average so I end up with a net gain of 25p unless I spend an hour or more running and waiting for boats. So don't give me a sob story about fucking port money. Hmph.

Now a ranger can complain about not getting any tips for endure fire and trump me
Closed Thread