Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 AM
Aviak

Default Question regarding Solist's Icy Wand

I have a 21 wizard and I've been told I should covet this item and I'm having trouble seeing why. It has a 5 second cast time and casts a spell that I only use at this point for finishing off stuff that is at 1 or 2% life. Why should I want this thing?

I can see it being useful to lower level wizards but at my level, it seems pointless. Am I missing something?
Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

You'll use it to the 50s even quadding. When at 0 mana it finished off stragglers , but maybe around 52 your meditate can outpace its dps
Old 06-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Planar Protector

Cause nukes take mana. If you have a sow or something, or even just root, you can spam wand all day and end fights with >80% mana. 90% of wiz solo is downtime.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Kobold

Clickies are the best way to conserve mana in classic.

Anything that you can click instead of cast will save you time in the long run, or sustain you during long fights / groups / raids.

In some cases its convenient as well in order to not use an additional spell gem. (SoW boots, Levi Cloak, See Invis bracer, Snare etc)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a 21 wizard and I've been told I should covet this item and I'm having trouble seeing why. It has a 5 second cast time and casts a spell that I only use at this point for finishing off stuff that is at 1 or 2% life. Why should I want this thing?

I can see it being useful to lower level wizards but at my level, it seems pointless. Am I missing something?
From 12-20 its pretty amazing, but after that it can feel a little lackluster. Like others have said though, you will have times when mobs are at 1-5%, and not having to use mana to kill something is very nice, especially for wizards.

Add to that, there isn't really anything for wizards that increases their effectiveness too much. 200 int and sow potions/jboots lets you quad, temp flux staff lets you aggro, and then clicky nukes. Besides that, not much different from a naked wizard. Wizard life isn't too varied, I feel for em.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 AM
Planar Protector

It's annoying to waste mana on a wandering orc pawn that breaks your meditation.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Kobold

velious era wizards are the worst class in the game and perhaps the worst class in the history of any MMO. FYI A level 24 wizard spamming nothing but that crap wand on a target will out dps a level 24 wiz using their very best nuke. Verant didn't realize wizards were bad until luclin when they fixed them.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
velious era wizards are the worst class in the game and perhaps the worst class in the history of any MMO. FYI A level 24 wizard spamming nothing but that crap wand on a target will out dps a level 24 wiz using their very best nuke. Verant didn't realize wizards were bad until luclin when they fixed them.
Mostly true. Still a fun class to play...and you will out dps lots of folks in grps and raids if you play right...because many of your teammates are semi-afk watching youtube videos.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mostly true. Still a fun class to play...and you will out dps lots of folks in grps and raids if you play right...because many of your teammates are semi-afk watching youtube videos.
If you have wizards topping damage in your raid then something is very wrong with your raid.
Lyrri - 52 Wood Elf Bard <Vanquish>
Dainea - 50 Halfling Cleric <Vanquish>
Old 06-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99Druid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have wizards topping damage in your raid then something is very wrong with your raid.
Did I say that they should top the parse?
Closed Thread