Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 AM
Orc

Default Noob warrior questions

I have a lvl 30 warrior that I have been leveling again for the first time in a couple of months with the current exp bonus being active. I enjoy playing a warrior because it essentially forces me to group. Being that my only lvl 60 character is a worthless Druid, it's a breath of fresh air compared to the quadding, and being a buff-bitch, life.

But I do have a couple of simple questions that pertain to me holding aggro better in a group. I have been grouping in unrest. In some groups I can hold aggro pretty consistently. As long as the nukers don't nuke too early, and whatnot. But in a group with a twinked monk, or a twinked rogue (or even a semi-twinked rogue that refuses to hide), maintaining aggro on a single mob has been hard.

Currently, as far as weapons are concerned, I am equipped with a Venemous Axe of the Velium Brood in my main hand, and a Blade of the Green Dragon Eye in my offhand. If the proc of my MH lands, keeping aggro is easy. However, it rarely seems to land (which is based on dex, and as far as I've heard, attack speed as well?).

For armor, it's pretty basic crusty armor with an Iksar bp for that shitty regen. The -dex on some of the crusty pieces is the next thing I will replace due to it lowering proc/crit chance.

Questions:

1) What's the general rule of thumb? Faster attack/lower delay weapon in MH? Or off hand? I'm assuming the faster should be in MH, but just curious.

2) Should I get rid of the Dragon Eye blade and buy another proc weapon instead? Sure it looks relatively cool (and I got a good ass deal on it), but it has no proc so I'm not sure it's doing much for threat generation.

3) Should I focus on increasing dex more than I am? For ear/ring pieces, I've been going with simple +hp/stam items, but should dex be more concern as a warrior for the proc chance?

Of course I'm not level 60 yet. Which is where I think warriors shine the most, because until then, the snap aggro effects of Pally's or SK's might be better than the extra AC or HP that warriors can have. Is that something that you just have to deal with at these lower levels? I mean my group earlier was happy to replace me with a fucking bard simply because he might be able to better hold aggro than me.

I've never been so embarrassed. Fucking bards. I hate bards.
Last edited by Delacroix; 07-06-2019 at 12:43 AM..
Old 07-06-2019, 02:02 AM
Planar Protector

Keeping aggro on the warrior is the whole groups job.

If a supertwinked rogue is refusing to evade (or monk fd) then that is on them for not using their class abilities. Don't sweat it too much, they might be wanting to practice their defensive skills, and besides which their skill caps are close enough to a warrior that with twink gear they will take hits just fine.

Otherwise if you still need help being the focus of a mobs attention the group can use root. Against mobs which don't summon, a rooted mob will attack whichever enemy is closest to it, so call that root and stand on those tippy toes.

At your level you don't have much damage bonus so just put your best weapon in primary. As you level up making sure a low delay weapon is in primary is important for maximising the number of times damage bonus is applied which is good for dps and aggro.

At 30 fights are short so the time spent waiting for a proc does not offset the loss in white damage really. Unless you are considering swapping to something like a wess which has a decent fast ratio and procs from level 1.

A little bit of dex here and there won't make a huge difference, and you are getting close to the levels where cheal might start being used so I'd stay put for convenience. I'd wait till you can make a stepwise improvement on dex without also sacrificing hp.
Last edited by Jimjam; 07-06-2019 at 02:10 AM..
Old 07-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Fire Giant

Until you hit 40 where more weapons start to proc, you should just use staff of battle. It’ll be better dps and the white dmg threat alone is fine. Once you hit 40, Frostbringer and WESS are a great combo.

If you want to dual wield, pick up a Wurmslayer and WESS until 40.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Orc

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I mean I guess I shouldn't be too worried about losing aggro in these groups. For instance, any time a rogue or monk grabs aggro off me, it's not like the fight lasts long enough for them to take a lot of damage. I'd rather the healer only have one person to heal (being the tank), but it's never lead to a wipe or anything so I'm probably just overthinking it. I'll probably stick with the current gear I have until I at least his lvl 40, because as mentioned, that's when more weapons that can proc start to become a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanjil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Until you hit 40 where more weapons start to proc, you should just use staff of battle. It’ll be better dps and the white dmg threat alone is fine. Once you hit 40, Frostbringer and WESS are a great combo.

If you want to dual wield, pick up a Wurmslayer and WESS until 40.
Just out of curiosity, at lvl 40 if I were to go with Frostbringer/WESS combo, which one would be preferred for my main hand? They both have similar white damage and similar delay. Does one of the procs cause more hate than the other? I'm assuming some procs are better than others for grabbing aggro, I guess I can look for a chart or something that someone has made if that's the case.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Aviak

It's legit to ask Delacroix. I think most people who play warriors think about it at least once [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'd agree though, most of the time aggro problems originate with other people in the group, not the warrior. Each person should have a sense of how to manage their aggro. When they consistently pull aggro from you, I wouldn't sweat it too much!

Even in HoT people pull aggro from me all the time, but that's because they either start DPSing before assist call or just arent managing their aggro... it happens. People learn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

With a pure melee if you are using the right weapons, or decent ones at least, then you're doing pretty much all you can.

As it's been mentioned, it's up to classes with aggro-dump spells/skills to meet you half way. If they don't, it's their fault for pissing away their healers mana (or dying).
Old 07-08-2019, 05:53 AM
Fire Giant

wess proc is one of the highest hate generated. this said, i didn't find any diff wess mainhand fb offhand, or fb mh and wess offhand; both combo works just as good.

anyway war is pretty fun til 39 and it starts to suck until 52. just be prepared to get through that, a period of time where you just suck because skills don't go up again until 51 or so
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wess proc is one of the highest hate generated. this said, i didn't find any diff wess mainhand fb offhand, or fb mh and wess offhand; both combo works just as good.

anyway war is pretty fun til 39 and it starts to suck until 52. just be prepared to get through that, a period of time where you just suck because skills don't go up again until 51 or so
I'm pretty sure the stat cap by level gets smoothed out somewhere between kunark and velious. I remember my red warrior was getting skill ups in the 40s where my previous warrior did not.
Closed Thread