Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Fire Giant

As one of the chosen few, raiding from work is pretty sweet.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Sarnak

1 hour of gaming on p99 takes less than 5 MB. IT department would never even blink at that. If they were monitoring network traffic all they would see is your IP connected to another IP and through a port. What are they going to do with that information? They could figure out what processes on your computer are connected to that port and find eqgame.exe. But that's a lot of work for a tcp connection thats producing virtually no traffic. Maybe they packet sniff every incoming packet, in that case holler at them to give you a dump of the current zone you're in to see if that named mob is up (but really that sounds like more work than usual, and may be a privacy violation in your company). If they are capable of visually monitoring your computer than that's a different story.

If you want to play at work you need a phone with 3G+ tethered to a personal laptop.
Last edited by surron; 07-16-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Old 07-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

so rename eqgame.exe legitimatebusinessrelatedprocesses.exe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Kobold

If your afraid of using the work connection, use phone data. It's really not that much date used. You can see for yourself as most companies offer real time data usage info. Play for a night, see how much you use.

I play at work all the time. My job has very little productivity requirements that are not directly related to responding to a customer. So no customers, nothing to do.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Aviak

I play while I work, but I work from home, so 1.) It's my own network and computer and 2.) no chance of anyone peaking over my shoulder. If I still worked in the office I wouldn't risk it.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Planar Protector

The most data I've used by tethering to my phone was about 3 gigs. It was a pretty heavy use month.

But as previously mentioned, it's not worth your job.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 07-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Large Bat

I was talking to a guy last night camping hadden at work. The real issue is that your employer has loot rights [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-16-2015, 11:35 PM
Sarnak

I play at work but I work at a small hospital and when the patients are all asleep and nothing is happening in the ER im good to play. IT knows I do and they just say dont use their computers. I normally play my necro at work since I have to be ready to FD if anything real happens. If i was a crappy nurse im sure they would use it as an excuse to fire me but I do my job well so no one says anything about it.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by surron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1 hour of gaming on p99 takes less than 5 MB. IT department would never even blink at that. If they were monitoring network traffic all they would see is your IP connected to another IP and through a port. What are they going to do with that information? They could figure out what processes on your computer are connected to that port and find eqgame.exe. But that's a lot of work for a tcp connection thats producing virtually no traffic. Maybe they packet sniff every incoming packet, in that case holler at them to give you a dump of the current zone you're in to see if that named mob is up (but really that sounds like more work than usual, and may be a privacy violation in your company). If they are capable of visually monitoring your computer than that's a different story.

If you want to play at work you need a phone with 3G+ tethered to a personal laptop.
Good info thx.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so rename eqgame.exe legitimatebusinessrelatedprocesses.exe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL
Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Sarnak

I do, but I use a clean link out.

Pirates. As has been said above, it can (& most likely will be tracked depending on your organisation). So it all depends on how strong your work position is fella.
If you feel it won't jeopardise or impact your output, crack on. If someone above is looking for a reason to sting you, that's a pretty easy win for them.