Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned

WU'TANG FOREVER
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Petitioning to have Project1999's blue and red server names changed to a god or npc of Norrath.
Seconded.

Potential candidates for new server names?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Server GM

The behavior in this thread and in game has been atrocious. It's completely understandable to be upset and/or frustrated, players grow attached to their characters' names and it can be devastating to lose your identity. We get it. But lashing out at staff members and sending threats is completely inexcusable. I created this thread in order to give direction to those who were affected in the last batch of name changes (and perhaps future ones). You are not stuck with your temporary name, you will get a chance to pick one of your choosing.

The naming policy has been around since 2010, so this should not be news to anyone who hasn't read the rules of the server (which we hope you read, prior to playing here). I'll be the first to admit that we have been pretty laid back when it came to names (unless they were offensive/vulgar) but I think we all can agree that it has gotten a little out of hand. We need to adhere to our own policies and apply them to everyone equally. Recent tools have allowed us to view certain names (without a que up) as well as add to the filter once it's changed. If you are wondering why your name was changed but another players name wasn't, you were not being targeted or singled out (as much as you guys like to think so). There is only a few of us, and thousands of players. We only have so many hours to donate per day.

On another note, we do not need players running around harassing others because of names. Leave the search for us, as it is our position to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contraceptive View Post
If you can prove God is real to me I might believe you aren't just a virgin that has been given fake internet powers that you over-wield on an imaginary game. Also, don't forget to take contraceptive, the world doesn't need any more yous. Ah who the hell am I kidding you're not reproducing you're too busy blanket banning people on a 20 year old elf simulator.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The behavior in this thread and in game has been atrocious. It's completely understandable to be upset and/or frustrated, players grow attached to their characters' names and it can be devastating to lose your identity. We get it. But lashing out at staff members and sending threats is completely inexcusable. I created this thread in order to give direction to those who were affected in the last batch of name changes (and perhaps future ones). You are not stuck with your temporary name, you will get a chance to pick one of your choosing.

The naming policy has been around since 2010, so this should not be news to anyone who hasn't read the rules of the server (which we hope you read, prior to playing here). I'll be the first to admit that we have been pretty laid back when it came to names (unless they were offensive/vulgar) but I think we all can agree that it has gotten a little out of hand. We need to adhere to our own policies and apply them to everyone equally. Recent tools have allowed us to view certain names (without a que up) as well as add to the filter once it's changed. If you are wondering why your name was changed but another players name wasn't, you were not being targeted or singled out (as much as you guys like to think so). There is only a few of us, and thousands of players. We only have so many hours to donate per day.

On another note, we do not need players running around harassing others because of names. Leave the search for us, as it is our position to do so.
Huge thanks to the staff for putting the time in for this quality of life improvement. And a huge opposite of thanks to all the awful people who harass them and send threats (!?!?!). What the hell is wrong with you people?

I'm not personally bothered by the random names (like Winchester, Spacepope, or Drummer Boy, to use examples from this thread); but I'm pretty tired of names in the realm of Shartsin (to use another example from this thread).

I get that a lot of us were teenagers when we first played this game, but we don't have to act like that now.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bottom line, Kittens Who Say Meow don't bother anyone on p99. They have been around almost from the beginning and pretty fun easy going folks.
This probably describes half the people getting name changes, why exclude one group because you want to?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Im not even sure how Kittens is a "bad" name. There are at least cats in EQ, who probably have younger cats, aka kittens, who make meow sounds?

Something like "Dial" a port (or anything with dial in it) makes no sense since, well, there wouldn't have been any such device or way to "dial" someone.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llandris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The in game behavior and forums behavior has been atrocious. However it goes far beyond the vitriol aimed at guides and it's not just the bombardment of petitions filed by "helpers" to "purge the immersion killing names" at the guides.

It's the overall total lack of empathy on behalf of the players who have tormented their fellow players who lost their names which they felt great emotional attachment to.

I said it from the beginning, it wasn't cool and I stand by that. Why torment and aggravate the situation more? Because "it's fun to torment people when they are angry" is the response I got. Really guys? This is sad.

If I understand clearly, a new technology is being used that grants a wider view of names in the game. Names have been viewed under higher scrutiny since using this newer technology and so names have subsequently been wiped now that they are being recognized easier and faster.

Llandris, why couldn't this have been shared earlier and thus perhaps some of the storm could have been managed easier once it began? If players had understood that names could possibly be getting wiped, names that were established for years I only can think it might have helped some if they had a warning.

Sure, some people would rage no matter what, but a great many people would have done better with a warning ahead of time instead of letting them find out by logging in and seeing their names wiped and replaced by a generic name of others choosing.

Anyway, we actually lost some longtime veteran players due to this, perhaps they will be back maybe not. Those who say names mean nothing need to understand that names mean nothing to them, but to others a character's name means a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Banned

What have you FQers done to Llandris
Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Kobold

Sudden purging of names just tells me they are fine tuning everything before the eventual server wipe... so we're all stuck hitting the random name generator. FINALLY!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Banned

*Grovels before the staff*
Closed Thread