Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 AM
Fire Giant

It wasn't that I hated Luclin. Parts of luclin I really liked. Mainly the AA points system. It was great cause you still gained something on the exp-axis from doing stuff at level 60.

I liked the Ssra Temple both in terms of lore (connected to the Shissar) and as a raiding zone. The bits I remember.

I also kinda enjoyed getting mounts as a not-too-offensive QOL improvement.

I did NOT like the general lore of the expansion. As others have mentioned the whole into-space theme was a giant mishit imo and removed it too far from the Tolkien-inspired origins of the game.

I did NOT enjoy the Vex Thal raiding experience. I have no clue if it would be "solved" on a time locked server and don't remember how the zone mechanics worked and if it would be possible to do pulls to entrance like what we see in Ntov and VP on P99. But I remember it being hours and hours of clearing trash... maybe 3-4 hours. With one two named mobs (the Goo-twins). And then finally getting to "candy land" of a boss every half and hour for 2-3 hours. There's no way I could envision myself committing to 6-8 hour non-stop raiding sessions.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 AM
Banned

The whole "cat race thing is stupid", is stupid. Kunark introduced lizard men, and catmen were part of eq lore already from classic.

Ssra was an amazing zone, and raids in luclin were a whole lot funner (except vt) than anything before (which only consisted of tank and spanx and avoid aoe x y z).

AAs
Focus effects
Knighta becoming amazing
Rangers becoming amazing
Wizards becoming amazing
Beastlords
Bazaar
20min continent 2 nexus portal system

The shity space stuff they included and terrible model updates really only thing people can complain about but you can solve the terrible model thing by disabling them.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin world felt too disconnected from what came before, had less interesting zones in design and lore, and never made sense on a basic level to me either. I wasn't convinced that it encompassed the full surface of a moon, nor that the ecosystems/structures/residents made any sense whatsoever. The bazaar deservedly gets hate for how it broke down player interaction and local economy, but really why the fuck is there this random bazaar, far away from anything else, in the underground of the moon, randomly connected to a teleporter room, which is randomly connected to some nondescript town called Shadow Haven?

There were tons of unnecessary time sinks, between the keys for zones and the AA's, and they didn't balance the zones well in comparison to previous content. I also thought the mounts were stupid and most of the new models sucked. The new class of Beastlord was not well designed, even though the base idea fits well for EQ; instead of going out into the wilds and actually being a "beast lord", you just summoned one, and then had to throw all these buffs on the pet that made no sense. The class randomly had Shaman spells and a mana regen buff in addition to their powerful pet and decent melee capability. Seems like they just wanted to create a class that could solo uber easy, while being caster and melee at the same time, thus letting the casual players feel like they could do everything. Beastlords were an essentially useless addition to the upper end of the game (their DPS lessened at highest levels and scaled poorly against high level mobs); only their mana regen buff made them relevant, which makes no sense thematically. I did like how each race got a different pet visual, but eh, a poorly thought-out mishmash overall.
Paragon, stackable mind candy, single target dps boost buff 6min +100atk buff boosting a rogues dps substantially - think you could keep it rotated on 2 rogues too esp since it stacked with avatar.

Beastlords lacked on dps directly but a well played one was good on raids. Having a handful of Beastlords helped CH chains/casters nuke more esp. If you MGBed Paragon every one after the other.

People never factored in the amount of surplus dps beastlords bought to raids with their tool kit. Only looked at dps charts, and went meh.

Beastlords could let 2-3 extra chs per cleric, 2-3 extra nukes per casters 2-3 extra necro pumps to clerics before everyone goes OOM.
Last edited by White_knight; 01-29-2019 at 08:30 AM..
Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Banned

The character models.

They were what made me quit back when Luclin came out.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:58 AM
Fire Giant

the zone design -
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 01-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the zone design -
[img]naw[/img]
They had lots of practice with Velious.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

The landmass/ocean islands between classic - velious was enough to support a very large population but a good portion of zones are wastelands. A couple dungeons tossed in.

This was the rage back then, every expansion had to be bigger and better but they all lacked the cohesion the original game had. If any models or zone layouts were familiar then it was a "Copy Pasted" expansion. You can see them failing during this time as other MMO's, perhaps lacking the RPG, were coming out.

Spread legged, uninspired, goofy looking, retardedly animated models for the sole purpose of riding a game breaking mount that was equally retarded. No charm in them, no butt scratchin

Long gone were the days of medding with your spellbook open, a granite stone fantasy UI. Less RPG and more VIDYA GAME OMG.. RAIDZ, all aboot mah RAIDZ.

Strip out RPG aspects that made the world interesting in search of the perfect raidz game.

Note: original-velious lacked visual cohesion, couldn't because of emerging graphics tech and the fear of copy pasta. Imo kunark and velious giants should look like Rath Mtn giants, Kael giants having armor graphics.

Hard pass on anything post velious.. even then Kunark and Velious are questionable. For sure not up to par with the original.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 01-29-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
alternate advancement making classes like the Ranger finally complete.
Endless Quiver, Archery Mastery 3, and my fellow members of our Trueshot firing squad were my favorite raiding experiences in Live in the SoL/PoP era.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

Luclin was all out terrible. Zones, bazaar, port spires, AAs, char models and their animations, vah shir etc. I knew then the game was dead to me.
Long live P99 classic EQ
Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Aviak

AAs and beastlords were a great addition, but I hated everything else. Models, animations, zone design, insanely grindy key quests, the setting in general...
Closed Thread