Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 AM
Aviak

Default Noobie Shaman Questions

Hi all,

after looking thrugh the DoTs of us shamans and the DoTs of the druids and necros I recognized that both the druids and necros get DoTs which seems to negate some of the resistances of the enemies.
As I am only lvl 14 and just started playing last week I have no idea how "valuable" the ability to decrease resistances is.

Are the DoTs of these other classes much more reliable than the shaman DoTs?

As a second question, I understand that casters specialize in one shool of magic at some point, what would be the adviced shool for a shaman? I found different meanings all around but I personally think that the DD line of spells might not be worth focusing as they are (as of now) really not that great.

And, as last question, because I am so low level my buff spells (strength, agi, dex, etc.) really dont add much to a group member, are they worth casting?
For example my str. spell gives +10 Str which is useful for carrying more but I didnt recognize that I do more damage with this buff active.
If they are not worth casting as of now, at which level would it be advised to invest mana in these buffs for the group?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 AM
Sarnak

I'd use agi buff on ogres especially. Although some may not need it. Spirit of Bear on tanks for sure. I wouldn't buff the whole party at your level, but I'd make sure that the tanks are buffed.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Aviak

Instead of dots with resist debuffs you have a debuff line of spells.
Shamans are pretty weak at the start but they get more and more badass specifically at lvl 24 39 49 51, (epic click is nasty) and 60 (torpor, start saving now though heh) this is only in my opinion however.
Alteration should be your main specialize since it covers healing/slowing/debuff and all your stat buffs which is where most of your mana will go unless you are soloing. Even then you will still be casting alteration spells just to a lesser degree
Last edited by BurgyK; 06-30-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Kobold

I'm not a shm but as a melee even though those may be low lvl buffs at this time doesn't mean they aren't helpful unless the person you are buffing is a tweek. Then they might have already reached the cap.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Strength buffs help the Tank and Big time on a Rogue for a higher Backstab. So Str, Dex to help with proc's, and that is all l would do low level. Higher level Haste for the DPS'ers.

Low level DoTs on a shaman are pretty weak. But you need to cast them often along with your DD to keep raising your skills. You Have to keep them raised to not have too many fizzles. Not a good thing to happen as a healer class when it is REALLY needed in a group or solo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yeah Shammy Dots are debuffers like has been stated, but that is a good thing. Just like you get Malo spells higher up like a Enchanter gets. They really help.

A Shammy can be a very busy class to play both Grouped, worse and even Solo. Most spells never seem to last long enough. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But it is one of the top classes on here and will be even better in Velious.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

If your buffs are adding 10 to stats and you're mana strapped just skip em. If your mana bar is full go for it
Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM
Kobold

At mid lvl protect and spirit arbor are nice for the tank
Old 06-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

hang about in grps with lvl 16 enc and nuke yellows.....

dots are good from scourge onwards.

below 20 buff str and sow and thats it imo.

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi all,

after looking thrugh the DoTs of us shamans and the DoTs of the druids and necros I recognized that both the druids and necros get DoTs which seems to negate some of the resistances of the enemies.
As I am only lvl 14 and just started playing last week I have no idea how "valuable" the ability to decrease resistances is.

Are the DoTs of these other classes much more reliable than the shaman DoTs?
Shaman DoTs are just behind necro's in terms of damage, way better than druids imho. They beat us on DDs though. At high level resistance debuffs are needed, and the Malo/malosini line is awesome at it. Dont think you're gonna need that a lot in a group/solo situation though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a second question, I understand that casters specialize in one shool of magic at some point, what would be the adviced shool for a shaman? I found different meanings all around but I personally think that the DD line of spells might not be worth focusing as they are (as of now) really not that great.
Alteration, there's no doubt about it. Like 80% of the stuff you're gonna cast is alteration..

Quote:
And, as last question, because I am so low level my buff spells (strength, agi, dex, etc.) really dont add much to a group member, are they worth casting?
For example my str. spell gives +10 Str which is useful for carrying more but I didnt recognize that I do more damage with this buff active.
If they are not worth casting as of now, at which level would it be advised to invest mana in these buffs for the group?
buffs are not really good at low level, but they get more and more powerfull. After level 29 you'll get haste, all melees are gonna start loving you. sta and hp are always loved by anyone, dex gonna help tank proc, str raise dmg on melee dps.. agi always been the least useful buff, i dont think anyone ever asks me for it on raids.

As someone stated, shaman are kinda meh compared to druids or clerics at low levels.. but just deal with it until you get to 24 where you get canni and regen (infinite mana theorically), 29 (invis, haste, and first "real" slow), and 34 (first pet). After 34 women will start looking at you. At 60 you'll eventually get Torpor, you'll be basically a demi-god walking amongst ants.

GREEN: Ineluki - Human Shadow Knight of Inoruuk

lulz
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM
Fire Giant

Shamans are all about efficiency. At low levels, most buffs (and debuffs) aren't worth the mana cost. You're better off healing in a group, or dumping any extra mana into your weak nukes and dots (if the mob lasts long enough for a dot to matter).

On that topic, I didn't notice anyone mention Inner Fire. It's a weak buff, but it also heals your target every time you cast it. It's a more efficient heal than any of your "real" healing spells until level 19, and it's relatively OP in the earliest levels.
Closed Thread