Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats because vanilla wow was designed by Aftermath and FOH guild's core serving as producers for its design.

After the initial success of the progressive raid scene in vanilla, where resist gear use (and collection) was essential to success for pioneering the content, they continuously nerfed the content until raid progression no longer necessitated farming of resist gear and consumables for success.

Shadow resist gear, for example, relied partly on armorsmiths for basic resist gear, and required a huge time commitments allying the argent dawn faction path for the advanced recipe unlocks and was pretty helpful in Naxx and on shadow dragons etc. Having a fair amount of resist gear enabled shadow dmg absorbing potions to last several aoes and brought their average duration in alignment with the global-potion-cooldown etc.

Fire resist materials required drops from trash mobs in MC, Ory and BWL, and its recipes were unlocked through factioning in the blackrock group dungeons.

Likewise the nightmare dragons utilized poison and there was a whole line of progress in gathering geoup drops as well as farming in AQ and faction earned in helping to open AQ for your server.

In TBC they made level 53 group gear obsolete raid gear from vanilla and did away with resist gear and consumable farming requirements for raid progression, altogether, and accelerated the progressive content nerf cycle for the sake of "accessibilty" forsaking the "hardcore" oversight/influence that made vanilla great.
Not that it matters but I remember a few of the guys from Legacy of Steel were hired as well.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a core part of how Enchanter is overpowered. It lets the class easily level to 12 for charm which used to be a damn nightmare and almost impossible unless you grouped or took forever to solo.

Then it lets Enchanter farm easily once they level up or have a reliable pet in situations where charm isn't ideal. I even use the pet occasionally at the end of a charm fight when I'm almost out of mana and have my final pet low on health, the pet can just solo it meaning I don't have to gate out and leave exp.

Pet definitely needs a nerf but hard to prove it was always paper thin. I provided links to this but not sure it's enough evidence.

Bug reported here https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...99#post3190699

I remember the pet being laughably weak. I never played Enc to high levels but at level 8 the pet would take like 3-5 rounds of combat from an even con and be dead, it wouldn't solo it while you AFK like it does here.
Nothing is going to happen and no one cares
Old 10-06-2020, 12:04 PM
Sarnak

Completely off-topic but
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shadow resist gear, for example, relied partly on armorsmiths for basic resist gear, and required a huge time commitments allying the argent dawn faction path for the advanced recipe unlocks and was pretty helpful in Naxx and on shadow dragons etc. Having a fair amount of resist gear enabled shadow dmg absorbing potions to last several aoes and brought their average duration in alignment with the global-potion-cooldown etc.
Shadow resistance gear was basically never used or needed in WoW Classic raiding. Only for Twin Emperors in AQ40 it had a legitimate use.

Resist gear was intended to be a requirement for several fights but as players got better entirely bypassed. Ragnaros being the prime example of a fire resistance raid encounter and also one where you do not need fire resistance but rather can just double down on consumables (fire protection potions) and focus on pure damage gear. In the end it's only really 2-3 bosses in the game that require resistance gear.

The consumable farm is largely why I quit raiding (and WoW Classic) because at the end of the day it's not worth spending X hours to farm consumables to spend 1-2 hours per raid instance at scheduled times each week. It's guaranteed pixels without any real excitement to it.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

That is where pvp servers made the end game more fun. I remember many epic battles over black lotus nodes in the plague lands.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is where pvp servers made the end game more fun. I remember many epic battles over black lotus nodes in the plague lands.
I didn't enjoy PvP in Classic, but maybe because I foolishly played on ultracompetitive servers. When you take everything to its peak and competition follows it just ends up with almost everyone having a miserable time.

Maxed out tradeskills (engineering), maxed out gear (raiding) and max use of long cooldown items and consumables + an army of trained monkeys to support you. Then you go to farm dungeons undisturbed for hours to recoup your gold losses on consumables.

In a way it is a game design problem and EQ suffers from it too in a sense. In order to get the best items the bar has been set higher than it needs to be at. That said, P99 raiding is far more casual than hardcore WoW Classic raiding.

Wait, weren't we talking about enchanter being OP or not?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Completely off-topic but

Shadow resistance gear was basically never used or needed in WoW Classic raiding. Only for Twin Emperors in AQ40 it had a legitimate use.
It was certainly needed for a boss in Black Temple but that wasn't in vanilla.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wait, weren't we talking about enchanter being OP or not?
About ench being unclassic.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Banned

Enchanters are only as good as the player
Don't hate game Hate the players =)
Old 10-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing is going to happen and no one cares
Mad, bad, sad Enchanter.

Bug thread already has data showing Enc pet here has about 2x the HP it should. Nerf incoming.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mad, bad, sad Enchanter.

Bug thread already has data showing Enc pet here has about 2x the HP it should. Nerf incoming.
Do any enchanters seriously use the pet past 20?
Closed Thread