Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > PvP Bugs

Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 PM
Aviak

Here! Here!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Aviak

And I know about this bug! Imagine how much time every new Ranger (or Druid or Bard) on the server loses because they didn't, and how it must impact their perception of this server.

TLDR; Blue/Project 1999 is all about classic Everquest: please fix it to be more classic, even if that comes at a cost of disabling an anti-cheat on a server that barely anyone plays on.[/QUOTE]

This thread started almost four years ago. Imagine!

So either the administrators dont really give a damn or they dont know how to fix it, or maybe it cant be fixed.

Anyway, you cant get anymore unclassic than a ranger who cant track other players.

"Relive classic Everquest. Nevermind rangers dont track right, we dont give a shit."

A large disclaimer should be posted to all those visiting the home page, otherwise people will think P99 is legitimate.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So either the administrators dont really give a damn or they dont know how to fix it, or maybe it cant be fixed.

Anyway, you cant get anymore unclassic than a ranger who cant track other players.

"Relive classic Everquest. Nevermind rangers dont track right, we dont give a shit."

A large disclaimer should be posted to all those visiting the home page, otherwise people will think P99 is legitimate.
So, I'm not trying to pick on you, but this is the bug forum so I think the standard should be higher here.

First off the "B" in Blue stands for Beta: it's not the perfectly classic game we all remember, or even the "as close to classic as we can get" server (that will be Green). It's where the staff tests their code in anticipation of someday releasing Green, or in other words, its a means to an end, not the end. So no disclaimer is needed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Second, the staff wants a classic server sooooo much more than you or I do. Did you spend almost a decade writing code to emulate classic EQ, two expansions, and every patch in-between because you love classic EQ? Me neither, but they did. So whatever their reason for not fixing this yet, it's not about them not giving a damn, and it's unlikely they don't know how (since player tracking used to work): it's far more likely it involves a trade-off they don't want to make.

The only thing is, the staff doesn't play (by their own rules they're not allowed to). So it's possible that they're just discounting how disruptive not having player tracking is, and in that case it might be helpful for us to politely let them know it really does matter. Since they haven't closed this thread yet, there's a good chance they're still interested in that feedback ... but being rude or complaining certainly isn't going to make them receive that feedback any better.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 09-17-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Aviak

Very Well, you can spank me for being sarcastic, however I will not be shamed by you.There is an old saying,
"You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Old 09-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Developer

Haynar has an update pending that may help this issue. Please Wait until after next patch to report further issues.

Haynar: Changed how mobs positions are updated at a distance. This should improve tracking of NPCs and Clients.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With all due respect to Red, like 40 people play there. Is it really worth making the server that 1k+ people play on (Blue) unclassic just to prevent a limited form of cheating that one whole Red player might take advantage of (on a server the support staff themselves don't even visit anymore)?

This really does impact non-PvP players. I don't know how many times I've forgotten (I'm a slow learner apparently) that track doesn't work right, and I've tried to use it to find another player for a port/buff/trade/etc. only to waste several minutes running in the wrong direction.

And I know about this bug! Imagine how much time every new Ranger (or Druid or Bard) on the server loses because they didn't, and how it must impact their perception of this server.

TLDR; Blue/Project 1999 is all about classic Everquest: please fix it to be more classic, even if that comes at a cost of disabling an anti-cheat on a server that barely anyone plays on.
fuck off
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Aviak

I studied long and hard before taking a school exam, but I got a "D" on the exam. I went back back and corrected my mistakes.

I can be praised for my dedication and hard work in studying for the exam. It resulted in a sub-par performance. I was not satisfied that I was commended for my hard work. I went back and corrected my errors.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haynar has an update pending that may help this issue. Please Wait until after next patch to report further issues.

Haynar: Changed how mobs positions are updated at a distance. This should improve tracking of NPCs and Clients.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

So did this ever get fixed?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 AM
Aviak

Loramin has proved to be very knowledgeable through the years. I have no special insight or unique access to knowledge not known to anyone else, and have no particular reason to doubt any statement or statement of fact. I have no reason to believe a statement of fact either if it cannot be proved through legitimate accessible documentation to be anything more than heresay.

The Project 1999 homepage would be an ideal location for the editors to display information on the issues and problems in-game and otherwise that hampersthe game from being what it was in 1999 and onward. It seems to me current and potential players should have that information.Not only to be transparent, but to also head off any misunderstanding about Project 1999 in relation to the Everquest many of us played all those years ago.

I agree that discussion in Technical Discussion forum should be of a rant-less free nature. I overstepped that principle in my reply to Loramin. I will try not to repeat that mistake.