Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Fire Giant

It currently doesn't reoccur at all. You cast it, it lands as soon as the spell is done casting like every other memblur, and that's it. If people are saying it worked "late in the fight" obviously it's not working as intended.

I also doubt we got the 2000 "RA has been made more effective" patch. It's basically useless, I would never use it if I didn't sporadically check to see if it's been fixed.

[Sat Nov 11 13:03:18 2017] You begin casting Reoccurring Amnesia.
[Sat Nov 11 13:03:21 2017] You feel your mind fog.

^That's it. It has a 3 second cast time.

Here it is on a mob, same thing.

[Sat Nov 11 13:06:28 2017] You begin casting Reoccurring Amnesia.
[Sat Nov 11 13:06:30 2017] A forest giant sapling tries to kick YOU, but misses!
[Sat Nov 11 13:06:31 2017] A forest giant sapling tries to hit YOU, but misses!
[Sat Nov 11 13:06:31 2017] A forest giant sapling blinks a few times.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

The "late in the fight" comment was December 2002, so would need to pin point if and when that occurred (could have just casted the spell late in the fight, causing the same hate list behavior).

The March 2000 comment about "fixed recently to reoccur once" could have just been interpreted as such from a dev post and the patch notes (we all know how EQ claimed things were fixed...), the February post mentions specifically how the spell is working on P99 and that the spell is still not reoccurring.

I've tried to find more info but coming up a bit short, maybe there are some casters realm posts out there.

If someone can dig up some posts or a log file in era it may help besides just asking for a fix.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Kobold

All information taken from Casters Realm

Quote:
November 2001
Description: This spell will cast a memory blur on the target every six seconds until it wears off.
Very useful to cast before doing any other spell attempts on an NPC as it will constantly be having its taunt value for you lowered.
Description indicates it was useful to cast before large aggro generation spells because it would continue to mem blur the mob for the entire duration of the spell.

Quote:
THE PLANE BUSTER SPELL, By Carbon puppetmaster - rodcet nife (1/28/2001)

Since Verrant has fixed this spell, it is one of the best spells enchanters posses. It makes crowd control a breeze. In the past, most enchanters had to lead with tash on high level mobs to make an alluire or dazzle stick. This of course agros the hell out of the mob and we spend the next 10 seconds or so hoping that someone taunts the mob off us or getting lucky and get a dazzle or allure off; otherwise we are dead (even with good clerics in ones group). This spell buys us the time to get our dazzle or allure off. Lead wtih RA, then tash, mob agros, hits you once or twice, mezzes, and you hit with allure or dazzle. Get resisted, no biggy, take another one or two hits, and try again (repeat until the allure or charm sticks). I have utilized this technique in HATE with amazing results. Puller snags two clerics and a golem usua;;y means trouble! Not in this case, just apply above mentioned to clerics while tanks deal with golem and you will have to clerics staring out into space! The best part is the little damage we take! I suggest my fellow enchanters give it a try. Going to use in a fear breakin latter this weekend, should make for interesting results.
This indicates Reoccuring Amnesia did infact reoccur, was broken earlier in the timeline, and was fixed sometime before 1/28/2001. I think he mispoke when he said "mezes while you hit with Allure or Dazzle", and meant to say memory blur. If a mob was already mezzed you wouldn't need to Dazzle it.

Quote:
NOT REOCCURING IN PLANES, By Venture (1/28/2001)

i solo seafuries and to test it out i reoccured on 10 out of 10 seafuries all with random times in the battle with my pet where the mob was blurred not right away.... in Hate however either time or the lack of it not working gave me over 3 bubs of exp loss with 49 reses so be careful in hate enchanters this spell is next to useless
Ignoring the broken English, poster indicates 10 out of 10 times on Seafuries Reoccuring Amnesia blurred after the initial cast. He think's it's broken in the planes, but it's likely the mobs weren't blurring or he was still in aggro range after each blur.

Quote:
A FEW THINGS..., By Vokos (7/22/2001)

First off, Carbon obviously has no idea what he's talking about... with duration and recast both 24 seconds, you cannot keep this on multiple mobs.
Second, note it says 'will cast a memory blur'. Not 'will memory blur.' So, it's essentially like casting the same old crippled Memory Blur on the target every six seconds.
Quote:
THIS SPELL HAS BEEN FIXED, By Xila cloudweaver (1/28/2001)

This spell now does reoccur but is resistable so its use is very situational.
More evidence this spell was fixed in 2000 or early 2001 and shouldn't be broke on P99.

Quote:
GREAT SPELL NOW, By Menenu -- brell (1/28/2001)

3.0 casting time and unresitable. Every wish your charmed pet would not attack you after it breaks charm? cast this spell on it then go invs and you are safe from harm(as long as you are out of argo range) Enjoy fellow enchanters =) Menenu 50 enchanter
Indicates it is unresistable. I assume when the other poster was saying it was resistable he was suggesting that it didn't always mem blur, which is to be expected even with 4 ticks, not that it was completely resisted.

I can't get the Wayback Machine to load the comments prior to January 2001, but it seems the only question is when this was fixed. The post Rygar quoted "Enchanters Exist Too" was posted in January, 2000 so we can deduce it was fixed some time between January 2000 and January 2001. Regardless of the exact date it was fixed, it should currently be reoccurring on P99 and all evidence shows that it doesn't. There isn't a single comment that I see on Casters Realm that suggests it was still broken in 2001.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Nice detective work!

I seem to remember coming across a dev interview question about this, something about clarifying that it "only reoccurs once" feature. I think he said once you get a successful blur the spell stops. So testing to have it work on a mob, then re engaging a mob and expecting it to pulse again would never happen.

Will try and dig that up.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice detective work!

I seem to remember coming across a dev interview question about this, something about clarifying that it "only reoccurs once" feature. I think he said once you get a successful blur the spell stops. So testing to have it work on a mob, then re engaging a mob and expecting it to pulse again would never happen.

Will try and dig that up.
Maybe that's how it "worked" when it was broken? Most of these talk about the blur obviously landing multiple times after the patch.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe that's how it "worked" when it was broken? Most of these talk about the blur obviously landing multiple times after the patch.
I didn't specifically see where it said a successful blur occurred multiple times in those comments. A late blur yes, but not continued blurs after a successful one.

The one comment says he even took a few hours after if dazzle or allure is resisted.

My guess is it was originally broken to either pulse once or maybe on initial cast. Later fixed to pulse as intended.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't specifically see where it said a successful blur occurred multiple times in those comments. A late blur yes, but not continued blurs after a successful one.

The one comment says he even took a few hours after if dazzle or allure is resisted.

My guess is it was originally broken to either pulse once or maybe on initial cast. Later fixed to pulse as intended.
I would argue that the name of the spell itself runs contrary to this assertion, and it makes little sense to have a spell that would stop blurring after a successful blur. If so, the spell is has some very marginal uses because any other blur can hit the exact same mechanic by casting repeatedly. Plus, it’s rendered worthless if the blur occurs when cast if there is no recurring blur. It makes far more sense for this spell to have 4x chances to blur over 4 tics.

If there is evidence out there to the contrary, i’ll review my position, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think otherwise at this time. That being said, there’s also a ton of dev decisions that were made that don’t make sense to me. /shrug
Old 06-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Kobold

Quote:

The spell description its self.

Quote:
Very useful to cast before doing any other spell attempts on an NPC as it will constantly be having its taunt value for you lowered.
"Constantly" to me means more than once. It also says RA casts a memory blur every 6 seconds until it wears off, not until it successfully memblurs.

If you can find the dev comment, great, if not I think it should be patched to match the spell description and have the possibility to blur 4 out of 4 times.

In that scenario of resists it reads to me like he is talking about multiple blurs.
1 - Cast RA
2 - Tash
3 - He gets hit
4 - Successful blur
5 - Cast Dazzle or Allure (6 second cast time)
6 - Mob Resists Dazzle or Allure
7 - No biggie, take another one or two hits
8 - Successful blur
9 - Try again to cast a Dazzle or a 6 second cast time spell

If there wasn't a second blur he'd be taking more than 1 or 2 hits casting a 6 second cast time spell at level 49+ on a mob he makes no mention of slowing.

RA has double the recast time of every other memblur, 24 seconds, I would argue that also lends credibility to it having a set duration.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

I've been busy lately and I'm just recalling from memory, perhaps I'm wrong. But to say the spell description alone is evidence is not solid proof (the spell 'memory blur' is only a chance to succeed, doesn't mention that in the spell title), and that comment about constantly seems like just speculation on how it should work without in field control tests.

I agree though that unless evidence is found it stops after a successful blur it should have a chance to blur 4 out of 4 ticks (even after successful blur).
Old 06-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:

Well it's right here like I said in one of the above posts (take note of the bold section)

Quote:
THE PLANE BUSTER SPELL, By Carbon puppetmaster - rodcet nife (1/28/2001)

Since Verrant has fixed this spell, it is one of the best spells enchanters posses. It makes crowd control a breeze. In the past, most enchanters had to lead with tash on high level mobs to make an alluire or dazzle stick. This of course agros the hell out of the mob and we spend the next 10 seconds or so hoping that someone taunts the mob off us or getting lucky and get a dazzle or allure off; otherwise we are dead (even with good clerics in ones group). This spell buys us the time to get our dazzle or allure off. Lead wtih RA, then tash, mob agros, hits you once or twice, mezzes, and you hit with allure or dazzle. Get resisted, no biggy, take another one or two hits, and try again (repeat until the allure or charm sticks). I have utilized this technique in HATE with amazing results. Puller snags two clerics and a golem usua;;y means trouble! Not in this case, just apply above mentioned to clerics while tanks deal with golem and you will have to clerics staring out into space! The best part is the little damage we take! I suggest my fellow enchanters give it a try. Going to use in a fear breakin latter this weekend, should make for interesting results.
They aren't saying to ever recast RA, and specifically talking about the mob hitting them, then blurring (they say mezzes which isn't accurate but for a few seconds it is functionally the same as what happens on a successful blur even when close to the mob), giving them time to recast another spell then being hit again on a resist and on and on till the true mez sticks.

Also when they talk about using RA for enchanter pets I read that as cast before charm then charm and when you use invis later the repeated mem blur will have wiped you off the aggro table for your pet (since the spell was cast before charm it would land on subsequent recurrences after your charm). However this one is speculative given the way the spells normally work on pets (i.e. you can't land negative spells on your own pets so casting RA shouldn't land at all if they are still your pet). I'll admit this isn't as clear as the first example but when paired with the first one seems likely they are speaking of it working this way.