Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Fire Giant

Default Ranger: Woodsman VS good DW combo

Deciding whether its worth it for a lvl 30 RNG to purchase the woodsman. With dmg cap lifted, it seems like a decent choice. However, with 11/18 MH and 12/20 OH, im wondering if the DW combo will simply perform better in most situations.

Self buffed haste is at 54% as well, now that a partial haste cap has been lifted. Meaning it may be tougher to pull off a DD spell in between woodsman strikes. But also the woodsman will have a lower delay.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

OP doesn’t have money issues.

Buy the staff and parse for yourself IMO. Woodsman staff seemed to be the winner in kunark. But Those are significantly better weapons than were available in kunark so I wouldn’t be surprised if those particular 1h won out.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Fire Giant

Ya it's hard to say really unless I actually put the staff to use.. As to DW skill, at 30 its actually somewhere around 125?.... Id have to check. Which doesn't equal that bad of a percentage. I'm sure the math could be done. I may as well try to figure it out...

That being said, it kind of works both ways. Yes my DW success chance is lower due to a lower skill cap atm, but my offensive skills and double attack skill caps are also low, meaning that a complete miss with a woodsman staff, or an unsuccessful double attack is more detrimental to overall dps than missing with faster 1 handers. On top of that, this isn't WoW where a certain weapon deals within a range of dmg that scales with level. For instance instead of a weapon doing 90 - 120 dmg per hit, the range of which I can hit with a woodsman staff is far wider. at lvl 30 id imagine I have the potential of hitting an opponent for damage near the same amount i can hit with a 1hander, making a swing of the like a loss compared to duel wielding. Hitting an opponent for 20 dmg with a woodsman's staff is possible. Either way, i guess the answer is to try it out and see.

EDIT: DW and Double Attack skills max at 155 at lvl 30
Last edited by Iksar_with_a_plan; 06-19-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Fire Giant

From my calculations, it looks like staff is only better from 30-35. My formulas are mostly cribbed from forum posts and eqemu source, so take it with a grain of salt.

Regardless the staff is cheap and solid dps, so you may want to pick one up just to keep 2hb up to speed.

For reference: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
From my calculations, it looks like staff is only better from 30-35. My formulas are mostly cribbed from forum posts and eqemu source, so take it with a grain of salt.

Regardless the staff is cheap and solid dps, so you may want to pick one up just to keep 2hb up to speed.

This is super useful. There a way to enable others to use it?
Last edited by Arm_Chair_Hero; 06-19-2019 at 11:18 PM..
Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Really nice resource... Bravo...

I don't doubt woodsman's efficacy at all, but I do notice that it gets a lot of hype for rangers in the mid-level range. What I dont understand is why something like exq velium 2handers (32/36) don't warrant the same attention for other melee classes. For instance I dont normally see level 30 something melees walking around with them all the time, or I dont see people suggesting these type of weapons very often to leveling melee characters.
Last edited by Iksar_with_a_plan; 06-19-2019 at 11:19 PM..
Old 06-20-2019, 12:05 AM
Planar Protector

A generally good rule of thumb is that woodsman staff is better until one or some combination of the following things takes place:

-you have extremely high end 1hander weapons (prior to level 40)
-you acquire weapon ratios comparable to ranger epics in your early 50s
-you are 46+ and have actual epics (or at least swiftwind for superior haste and have otherwise crap worn haste)
-you have decent 1hander weapons and are creeping closer to 60 where damage bonus is more relevant for fast weapon superiority

If and when the final patch with 2hand dmg bonus hits, everything is going to shift.

Woodsman staff is cost effective and very solid for a wide range of levels. Where it drops off is entirely dependent on what worn haste you have and the quality of 1hander stuff you have available to you. If epic is easily within reach, for example, superior haste and a rock solid ratio shifts the balance to dual wield.

Prior to velious woodsman was the way to go until epics. Velious hit later and there are more high quality haste items and more readily available 1handers with solid ratios.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A generally good rule of thumb is that woodsman staff is better until one or some combination of the following things takes place:

-you have extremely high end 1hander weapons (prior to level 40)
-you acquire weapon ratios comparable to ranger epics in your early 50s
-you are 46+ and have actual epics (or at least swiftwind for superior haste and have otherwise crap worn haste)
-you have decent 1hander weapons and are creeping closer to 60 where damage bonus is more relevant for fast weapon superiority

If and when the final patch with 2hand dmg bonus hits, everything is going to shift.

Woodsman staff is cost effective and very solid for a wide range of levels. Where it drops off is entirely dependent on what worn haste you have and the quality of 1hander stuff you have available to you. If epic is easily within reach, for example, superior haste and a rock solid ratio shifts the balance to dual wield.

Prior to velious woodsman was the way to go until epics. Velious hit later and there are more high quality haste items and more readily available 1handers with solid ratios.
Well, would you say I fall under the first category? having 11/18 and 12/20 w/ 54% haste (Seahorse belt + PLunder patch)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm_Chair_Hero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is super useful. There a way to enable others to use it?
Can you copy it and start futzing? When I was still active, I was planning on adding some more features (I think the forumla is hard coded to warrior numbers right now) and maybe even making it into a web app. Perhaps if I start up again, I'll try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iksar_with_a_plan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I dont understand is why something like exq velium 2handers (32/36) don't warrant the same attention for other melee classes.
At this point, it's just because Woodsman's staff is cheaper and generally available.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iksar_with_a_plan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, would you say I fall under the first category? having 11/18 and 12/20 w/ 54% haste (Seahorse belt + PLunder patch)
Spell haste on this topic isn’t relevant. Worn has is relevant only insofar as comparing epic haste vs inferior tradable other slot haste.

11/18 and 12/20 are good ratios. Very good. I’d rate them better than woodsman by a long shot once levels climb into the upper 40s and into the 50s. A woodsman doesn’t exactly compete with swiftblade of Zek and exquisite velium. From a strictly ratio standpoint 11/18 is a lot better than earthcaller. 12/20 is nearly the same ratio as swiftwind (though 40% worn haste and +30atk make it heads and shoulders better). WS doesn’t compete at that level.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 06-20-2019 at 01:07 AM..
Closed Thread