Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's that, pvp rank grind or... the old EQ favorite, trade your way to success ^^
If they keep the raids 40 man, and the same. I couldn't imagine trying to get 40 muppets together to raid them not now days.

Even then I remember the pvp grind being more hardcore back then, but maybe that's just me.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Fire Giant

I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun with the retail classic experience. The subscription fee has kept a lot of the 3rd worlders away, and I'm a fan of memes so I fit in with the current player base. The strange thing is that I'm not feeling a lot of 2004 nostalgia, with part of that having to do with my experience as a Kronos private server staff member. Instead, the game just feels like a better MMO experience where folks are having to jump through hoops and really earn stuff all over again.

The funny thing is, tank players are a LOT smarter now with their approach to the game. Warriors & bear druids are leveling to the upper limit of a dungeon instance, forming their own groups with level limits so they ensure an easy run, and select DPS / healing classes in a way that doesn't contest their getting the loot drops that might interest them. That, and they load up on quests and just run the instance ONCE. Or perhaps a couple of times to get that key drop they really want from Scarlet Monastery or something.

This means that DPS / healing classes that get overlooked from the tanks that form their groups are having a MUCH harder time getting into an instance in comparison to 2004-2005. I'm really curious how Blizzard will address this. It isn't bothering me since I'm leveling a Warrior and a Shaman, and the Shaman is capable of tanking content up to Mauradon if I really push it. But for everyone else, it must be sucking.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

Just had my first wow classic experience (and indeed first wow experience)!

Found signing up for the subscription and installation process rather clunky, but thought it was cool to be able to load the game from a partial download.

Was unable to create a gnome warrior called Jimjam, so settled for a Barbarian Shaman (okay, human paladin) called Gincide, my original EQ character.

Did a few quests, but honestly there was a lot of running around and the rewards were pretty poor; I'd get better xp and loot from doing a couple of extra kills instead of running around.

Met up with some old EQ friends, they showed me the way to a large city. Checked out the auction house, but apparently was unable to bid as I had a 'starter edition' account, even though I had just paid a subscription fee. Took the train to dwarf lands and fought some Wendigo (yheti beastmen) in their ice tunnels.

Was fairly entertaining, kind of wish I had streamed or screen capped my initial experiences, it felt a lot like being an EQ newb again; not really knowing what to do and just running around exploring in a sand boxy way.

Cancelled the subscription after logging off, but I may give it a couple more tries before the end of the month is over.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just had my first wow classic experience (and indeed first wow experience)!

Found signing up for the subscription and installation process rather clunky, but thought it was cool to be able to load the game from a partial download.

Was unable to create a gnome warrior called Jimjam, so settled for a Barbarian Shaman (okay, human paladin) called Gincide, my original EQ character.

Did a few quests, but honestly there was a lot of running around and the rewards were pretty poor; I'd get better xp and loot from doing a couple of extra kills instead of running around.

Met up with some old EQ friends, they showed me the way to a large city. Checked out the auction house, but apparently was unable to bid as I had a 'starter edition' account, even though I had just paid a subscription fee. Took the train to dwarf lands and fought some Wendigo (yheti beastmen) in their ice tunnels.

Was fairly entertaining, kind of wish I had streamed or screen capped my initial experiences, it felt a lot like being an EQ newb again; not really knowing what to do and just running around exploring in a sand boxy way.

Cancelled the subscription after logging off, but I may give it a couple more tries before the end of the month is over.
Classic is a dropdown menu from the Version field on WoW battle.net launcher

Retail is bad, you wouldn't be able to go on a classic server on a starter account
Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 AM
Planar Protector

Oh i managed to select classic. I guess my account was just glitched cos that was the error i was getting when attempting to use auction house on classic.

My client today cancelled and the spot i had for my other job isn't available today. I don't want to be lone working without my spot so looks like i got a day off to play more wow classic.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

If there's EQ players complaining how slow classic wow levelling is, the world must have got more impatient since 2004 ^^
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If there's EQ players complaining how slow classic wow levelling is, the world must have got more impatient since 2004 ^^
I am patiently awaiting the Age of Conan classic server so I can log in and run around a bit, remark how the graphics have improved on MMORPGs then log out and uninstall.

Then just two more years after this I can go find the classic emulator for the classic emulator P99 server.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I'm not complaining; i have no other wow experiences to compare it with.

Just the quests at the start were generally not worth the time.

Happily the bug that was blocking me from bidding in auction house is resolved so i am able to waste all my copper on inconsequential rubbish.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Fire Giant

It's fun. This thing has legs.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I honestly can't believe just how much fun I'm having. I haven't been excited to come home from work and log on to a game since the original EQ days back in high school. I keep thinking eventually the enjoyment will fade off but the more I play the more I want to play. On Sunday my wife took the kids to her friends for a kids play date and I had all day to play. I logged in at 8am and logged off at 7pm. Usually that long of a session Id feel guilty or shitty but I've got no ragrets! Not even a single letter.

My night elf hunter is lvl 28 and climbing! My server has numerous people lvl 50+ and I've seen one lvl 60. I feel like I've been playing hard but these people have really been doing the work.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread