Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Remove Agimat's pics?
Yes, make room for pics of my Main modelling every item people want 18 16.51%
No, i enjoy looking at this guy every time I search for jboots, fungi, or mana robe 40 36.70%
Bush/towers 22 20.18%
Removing the pet window was not in the classic time line 29 26.61%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not include an image of what the item looks like? Why are "special" items excluded? If we don't want item graphics uploaded to the item page, why not include links to the corresponding Fashionquest page?

Example: I want to know what a "rusty short sword" looks like equipped. I would likely go to the "rusty short sword" page. Hm, no image. Now I have to look through the clunky FashionQuest guide to figure out where it's located. Why not just allow it to be added to the item page?
So, the short answer is that lots of stuff that looks the same. For example, there are (at least) twenty different items in the game that all have an identical "Glowing Red Stone" look.

It simply doesn't make sense to have twenty different images of twenty different (but identical-looking) items on twenty different pages. At the same time though, we do want multiple images of items. Especially when it comes to armor, having the same item "modeled" differently can be very helpful (because items can appear very different on other races/genders) .

Everyone benefits by having one page with a bunch of different races/genders showing off looks, rather than having many different identical look images distributed on various individual item pages.

As for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would likely go to the "rusty short sword" page. Hm, no image. Now I have to look through the clunky FashionQuest guide to figure out where it's located.
This is incorrect. First let's talk armor, because it's simpler: every piece of visible armor in the entire wiki should have one or two fashion categories (I know because I wrote the code to steal them from Lucy). These categories are listed at the bottom of every item page.

If you want to know "where's the page for items that look like _____", you don't need the FashionQuest guide or anything else: you just need to go to the item's page, then look at the categories at the bottom.

Weapons are different because Lucy didn't have weapon data, which means I couldn't steal it. The only weapons category is that red glowing stone one, and that had to be made the old-fashioned way (by hand). The same will be true for the "fashion" of every other primary/secondary slot item in the wiki.

I wish this wasn't the case, and if someone can point me to a data source I'll happily use it ... but otherwise we just have to do it by hand. But again, it still makes far more sense to add an image to a "Fashion: Basic Sword" (or whatever) category than to add fifty different images to fifty different item pages for items that all look like identical swords.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, the short answer is that lots of stuff that looks the same. For example, there are (at least) twenty different items in the game that all have an identical "Glowing Red Stone" look.

It simply doesn't make sense to have twenty different images of twenty different (but identical-looking) items on twenty different pages.
Im gonna stop u right there, I could look at 1,000 pictures of people holding glowing red stones.

fwiw, I would rather havea wiki with thousands of enteries over 30 years, than one of no entries.

Id say let the wiki become a picture book, unless $$$ and server side storage is a problem then I will shutup.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Again, if I knew what an item was because i looked at its PAGE it would be better than if I had to reserch that on my own.

You have guides on how to exploit this game, but not on how to find the look of an item you want?

I strongly disagree with the "too many pictures" idea.. there can never be too many pictures NEVER!!!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, the short answer is that lots of stuff that looks the same.
Yet I still don't know what a rusty short sword looks like and the wiki is of zero help on this. Why is uploading a picture of a rusty short sword forbidden? Why is the fact a rusty short sword shares a graphic with many other items disquality it from having an image?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

I cannot select both Bush/Towers and No so this poll does not accurately reflect my opinions on the matter. Please submit a checkbox poll next time.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
strongly disagree with
Can we just start with that part? I think here in this forum we have a "confrontation culture", which is to say we all love to talk about our differences. But this isn't a war, nor is the entire forum RNF: the person with the loudest or strongest opinions doesn't "win".

I don't at all mean to pick on you, but I also do want to point out something: trying to find as many ways to disagree with each other, as strongly as we can, and focusing on that in our posts, doesn't get anyone anywhere useful. All it does is start fights with Internet strangers, and that's only "fun" in RnF.

The way to actually improve things is to work with others and build a consensus. All of the player-established roll agreements are a perfect example of this (they were both created through consensus and similarly focus on better sharing a community resource: NPCs).

So when you ostensibly want to change my mind and get me to make the wiki the way you want ... and yet in the same post you insult me for having "guides on how to exploit this game" (because I provide community lists of places for players to hunt, and we now have like 1/10th of the "where do I hunt?" posts in the forum than we did before the guides) ... that's highly unproductive, and quite frankly rude and unnecessary.

But look, we really don't have to be enemies or to disagree with each other. What if instead you had just said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I like images! Is there a way we can get images on the item pages?
Then I could have said "hey, that's an excellent point: why don't we show the images we've got on the fashion pages on the item pages themselves?" And then I'd add it to my list of wiki projects, and someday I'd add code to make that a reality.

Together, collaboratively, we could have come up with a way to improve the wiki and make both of us happy, without any hostility required. Again, I'm not trying to pick on you: I'm more just trying to point out to everyone that we can interact with each other in a better way, and we (unless you're in RnF) you can even "win" by doing so.

P.S. And yes I know we're technically in RNF here, but that was a bad moderator call and this thread does not belong here.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Oh crap, I'm mixing up my posts! This one does belong here; please disregard everything I just said!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Kobold

Loramin EQ scientist
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yet I still don't know what a rusty short sword looks like and the wiki is of zero help on this. Why is uploading a picture of a rusty short sword forbidden? Why is the fact a rusty short sword shares a graphic with many other items disquality it from having an image?
Uploading a picture of a rusty short sword is not forbidden. It was for awhile: technically from 2012 until today (when I updated the page), the policy was that no item images (except "first of" epic screenshots) were allowed on the wiki.

I have no idea why that policy was originally set (I didn't even play here then). One reason might be the file size: images of every item in Everquest (or even 1/100th of them) is a lot of images, and a lot of hard drive space.

But, being ignorant of that rule, and because I did a poll a few years back and "fashion quest" was the most desired wiki feature, I wrote a whole bunch of code to add item categories from Lucy. After that I encouraged people to upload screenshots, in direct violation of that rule (that I didn't know about)!

Luckly, the wiki did not explode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] So it seems fashion screenshots are ok, and I've amended the policy accordingly.

But we still don't want to waste Rogean's hard drive space (I'm 99% sure he uses physical servers, which means that when he needs more space he has to physically install a new drive; P99 does not run on AWS where you can just click a button to get more). Plus, again, there is no benefit to anyone having twenty different pictures of the same thing.

So by all means please feel free to upload a screenshot of your rusty sword, or anything else. The wiki needs more fashion screenshots. All I'm saying is, please add a category to the item (if it's a primary/secondary slot and doesn't already have one). Just make up a name that's logical (eg. "Fashion: Basic Sword" is great), add that category to the item (ie. add "[[Category:Fashion: Basic Sword]]" to the bottom), and then add the screenshot to that category.

If you're feeling energetic, maybe add some other items that you know have the same look to that category also. Over time, other wiki users will do the same, and eventually we'll have great categories just like the Glowing Red Stone one, which let people see what the item appearance is, independent of the item itself. And we also won't waste hard drive space with umpteen copies of the same thing.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Planar Protector

I read those posts in their entirety, and I'm happy to announce Agimat is free and we have have wiki with pictures again!
Closed Thread