Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Sarnak

I have a 32 warrior, I leve slow due to play times but noticed I can DPS pretty good but if a pally is in the group I have a hard time holding agro. Same goes for rogues. I have haste gloves and a couple quick duel wield weapons and use the hell out of taunt. Fun simple class with tons of hps!!
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You did a lot of talking about TOV geared characters in the Starting Zone sub forum.

Yikes.
No, but that’s the point, my Shadowknight alt, with a ToV weapon, solos less effectively than my Paladin did at the same level with a Sword of the Morning. My point was, that a Paladin imo solos as well or better than a Shadowknight. Being able to heal with a deep water helm is clutch.

Not to mention, he was asking about both groups AND raiding (ToV, surprise surprise) so by ignoring it, you missed the point.
Last edited by Trelaboon; 09-05-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Old 09-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The main reason I started the thread is because I am really struggling to find a main I can really run with. I've tanked well in other games but I understand EQ is not other games.

I've never raided before so the likelihood of me tanking a raid is probably pretty slim given that my guild has well established tanks who have been doing it for years although I'm sure if I got there and was geared enough, they'd give me a shot just because they are nice people. So I'd say my priority is likely group tanking. Does that change the advice at all?
Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main reason I started the thread is because I am really struggling to find a main I can really run with. I've tanked well in other games but I understand EQ is not other games.

I've never raided before so the likelihood of me tanking a raid is probably pretty slim given that my guild has well established tanks who have been doing it for years although I'm sure if I got there and was geared enough, they'd give me a shot just because they are nice people. So I'd say my priority is likely group tanking. Does that change the advice at all?
I say Paladin if you're not concerned with tanking at raids. Being a good class makes life a lot easier since you get more places you are not KOS by guards. Plus having LoH is a huge plus to have and not just for yourself.

I spent most of my time grouping as my Cleric. I have had a few times where I got healing aggro and was almost dead and then BAM, my health bar goes full because the Paladin tank used his LoH on me. That not only saved me but prevented the group from a potential wipe after I went down.

90% rez at lvl 59 is pretty nice too for when no clerics are around.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Planar Protector

I’ve said it before but it is worth saying again here that I don’t consider paladin inferior to sk for solo. With root and DW helmet the healing potential is pretty insane. Neither will kill quickly but I imagine the downtime can’t be worse for the paladin. Fear kiting is cumbersome and requires room to do it adequately. Mana expenditure is greater and when you’re done you have to Med that mana back plus heal up. Self healing for the SK is mana intensive and only really possible in combat.

I dunno. I solo’d a large chunk of my 55-60 in tight quarters (no room for fear kiting) fighting dark blue mobs. Calm line made for safe and relatively simple pulls. Helmet healing meant mana expenditure per mob was a calm or 2 and a root or 2. Kills were not super fast but I averaged a dark blue kill every 4-6 minutes (factoring in medding) with only self buffs and mana free helmet healing.

Point is I could xp solo faster than a full group. Really the only setups I found truly faster were duo with a necro/mage (necro better but neither need outside buffs/haste) or trio with a shaman and another high dps melee. A unicorn group with me a cleric and enchanter would obviously have been best, but let’s face it ... the ench/clr duo wouldn’t need a third so that opportunity never arose.

Paladin solo capability is significantly underestimated. It’s not flashy in that our dps is giggle-worthy but it is consistent, steady, and reliable mob after mob with a surprisingly small amount of down time.

At 60? I’ve solo crawled seb self buffed out of boredom a few times. We bring our own heals, buffs, single pulls, stuns, cc etc. 59 and on we can even rez ourselves when we fuck up.

Very enjoyable class.

Ps: I still enjoy playing my warrior the most.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-06-2019, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

Honestly on 80% of content I enjoy using a ranger to tank most.

Obviously on raid content sk (trash) and warrior (super boss) are better.

In groups i've found ranger is sufficient and has the best toolkit. I've not played paladin for a long time, and they have a nice toolkit, but i feel the dps of ranger would even give it and edge over paladin.

Obviously this is just my personal experience and i think it differs to the consensus.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:18 AM
Planar Protector

I was just about to post ranger for main tank as a joke. my main guy on live was a ranger and I was usually the main tank. Back then no one knew that it was statistically proven that rangers shouldn't tank so i tanked a lot and it was no problem.

This was not for raiding but for actually playing the game and enjoying it

To the OP all classes are awesome fun choose a class and race combo you can enjoy and relate to and that has a city or region you enjoy hanging at.

For me right now I would probably make a rogue because they're cool, but a warrior is a close call. Rogues are fun because you can do some sneaky exploring.

But really...play what you like and get into it.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was just about to post ranger for main tank as a joke. my main guy on live was a ranger and I was usually the main tank. Back then no one knew that it was statistically proven that rangers shouldn't tank so i tanked a lot and it was no problem.

This was not for raiding but for actually playing the game and enjoying it

To the OP all classes are awesome fun choose a class and race combo you can enjoy and relate to and that has a city or region you enjoy hanging at.

For me right now I would probably make a rogue because they're cool, but a warrior is a close call. Rogues are fun because you can do some sneaky exploring.

But really...play what you like and get into it.
Oh yea, ranger definately is disadvantaged compared to the true tanks on the toughest fights. They are not raid boss tanks (though they can do guardian wurms, kael arena, HoT in a pinch should no other tank be immediately available). That said, rangers are often used to tank bosses between tank switches using weaponshield. I think it is probably fair to say in accumulated seconds rangers spend more time intentionally tanking raid bosses than either plate knight has.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:32 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger are taking significantly more damage, yes, but they got a full tanking toolkit and they do far more damage than sk/pal... They won't be the tank of choice but they will tank some... And I don't think they tank anything in raid.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And I don't think they tank anything in raid.
weaponshield for tank switches?
Closed Thread