Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Orc

Default Sounds not playing on Linux

The music is fine, but I can't hear myself walking, casting spells, or getting eaten by hungry skeletons.

Is anyone having this issue? I'm on wine staging 4.15. I haven't played for awhile, so I don't know if it's a regression in wine or caused by one of the patches. I know it worked fine at some point. I tried a clean re-install of EQ and also tried installing dsound with winetricks, but that just caused the game to crash. I'm not seeing any related issues in the logs.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:58 AM
Planar Protector

Google "pavucontrol" and maybe work from there.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Orc

Eh? I'm not quite that stupid that I don't know how to change the volume. But when I log in this morning the sound works fine, so who the hell knows, really? Maybe pulse was janking out on me. EQ is using midi for music isn't it?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Orc

If you switched out or moved the mp3 files like they said in this set up then ya it's using midi mate.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2651

If not then I'd say it's using mp3. Not sure what your distro. is that your on, but I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I know sound goes at times when I am swapping out headsets and I have to relog the game eventually. Maybe all you needed was a reboot or something. I am fairly new to Linux myself, but it sounds like it sorted itself out for you mate. lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Orc

Yeah, it's been pretty inconsistent with the latest wine, actually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Might be related to this:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47672

I've had better luck with Proton, which is based on wine 4.2. So far it's worked twice in a row. That version has a different sound issue, though. The midi music is blaring a horn constantly.

Ah, well. I can turn the music off. Sound effects are a little more important. :P
Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Sarnak

Linux user here.

I usually play EQ with no sound, so I haven't noticed. I've been having audio issues that I recently solved (built-in audio just disappeared off the face of the earth after an update) but I dug out a bluetooth audio reciever so I have sound working, and can test tonight.

I recall though that as long as you have an audio system up, the built-in WINE w/ Ubuntu LTS should be ok.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Linux user here.

I usually play EQ with no sound, so I haven't noticed.
Same. On rare occasions when I've wanted to hear sound though I haven't been able to, so I'd love to hear if a solution is found.

But I won't be the one to find it: after losing half a day to re-installing various Nvidia drivers a couple weekends ago, because the new one broke EQ for me ... I'm very nervous about changing anything about my setup.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nvidia
Found your problem!

The amount of irrational hate I have for Nvidia is dwarfed by the amount of rational hate I have for Nvidia.

I have seen multiple entire OS upgrades (jumping between Ubuntu versions) tanked by Nvidia drivers. Oh, and these were all people who call me for support, not in front of me. Ever walked someone through a reinstall over the phone? People used to get PAID to do that...so I just love doing it for free for a reason that the user didn't do (if it were their fault I'd consider taking their money).

Even Intel on-board is better than nvidia hardware in terms of "supported out of the box" to the point where if those are my only two options I will take the on-board and be happy.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Found your problem!

The amount of irrational hate I have for Nvidia is dwarfed by the amount of rational hate I have for Nvidia.

I have seen multiple entire OS upgrades (jumping between Ubuntu versions) tanked by Nvidia drivers. Oh, and these were all people who call me for support, not in front of me. Ever walked someone through a reinstall over the phone? People used to get PAID to do that...so I just love doing it for free for a reason that the user didn't do (if it were their fault I'd consider taking their money).

Even Intel on-board is better than nvidia hardware in terms of "supported out of the box" to the point where if those are my only two options I will take the on-board and be happy.
Heh, I actually paid extra to get a laptop with a custom card added on top of the built-in Intel graphics. I know EQ is an old game, but I run two large monitors, and between that and the game's (limited/old, but still not-completely-trivial) hardware requirements, I'm glad I did.

If you think you hate Nvidia, I hate ATI probably about as much. I once had ATI tech support tell me that the only way I could use my $100 TV Tuner card from them was to reinstall the drivers for it (and this required a restart)... every single time I wanted to use it! I couldn't even believe that the support agent could say that to me with a straight face!

Also, I used to work with both them and Nvidia when I was at SGI, and Nvidia always had their shit together while ATI was always a mess. And then on top of that my cousin used to work for them, and internally they're just as bad as they seem externally.

I guess you just can't win when it comes to graphics providers.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Sarnak

Turned on sound...works fine. Both music and sound effects.