Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWDL_Prexus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not really sure what game you played but Everquest has the most quests I've ever encountered in any MMO. Just because the NPC's don't have giant !'s over their head doesn't mean they don't have a quest...
EQ stilll has nowhere NEAR the number of quests that any MMO made in the past 5 years has...

EQ was never about quests. They existed and we did some, but it was not the defining feature in any way.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Kobold

Cannot wait!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

My friends and I used to joke and call this game NeverQuest. Truthfully though there are a lot of quests that have more of a bearing on your charcter's progression. That is to say, WoW has a ton of quests but most of them don't really mean anything except a little xp and a little bit of coin. In EQ some of your best armor, weapons, and class essential items come from quest.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EverQuest and other MMORPG's are supposed to be about saving the world and vanquishing evil. But since you share a world with hundreds of other people with their own desires, said evil always has to reappear a few minutes later. So its less like being a fantasy adventurer and more like being a social worker.
Hence, this is why some of the MMORPGs are now changing how the zone looks for each individual player. In EverQuest 2, for example, when you complete a quest, that NPC might not be available/visible to you anymore. This won't be true for players who haven't completed the quest. Similarly, in DDO you would complete a series of quests and the zone would change to reflect your progression. Other players, of course, would not see this change until they had also completed the quests. So it's kind of like a single player game in a mmo.

Of course, the reason these things aren't normally shared is because it might block off portions of the content for players who might have the desire to play it, as you state.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 06-18-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP / Contributor

didnt make it to the EQnext video yet.. got grabbed in by a ESO video

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Kobold

Yeah, I think my WoW main has something like 10k+ quests done. It's ridiculous. But, as you said, most of them are mundane, and don't mean anything overall, just something to disguise the exp grind.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
didnt make it to the EQnext video yet.. got grabbed in by a ESO video

Been playing ESO beta and Wildstar beta, and honestly, between to two, even though they play completely different, I think I'm going to skip out on ESO. I've played every other ES game, and loved them to death, but ESO itself, is just meh. Wildstar on the other hand, is insane. It's so unique. Yes, it looks like WoW kinda, but plays completely different. Has one of the most unique combat systems, the classes are already very well balanced, and fun. The biggest thing for Wildstar so far, is that you literally have like 5 to 7 skills by level 10, so you're not running around, casting the same spell, at the same boars, over and over.

All in all, EQNext is going to be awesome, it has to be. Especially if they bring back anything old school about EQ.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...so you're not running around, casting the same spell, at the same boars, over and over...
Chlorophyll? More like BOARophyll! Haw haw haw!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

I think there's a dimension people are missing with the whole "EQ was about quests" statement. It's somewhat true if placed in context of where EQ started. For its time, it had a lot of quests. Pretty much anything you played in that same time period hadn't developed the multitude of, nor the depth of specific individual quests and subquests (soulfire, epics, monk robe quests, etc) EQ had - as rudimentary as they seem to us now. At that time, people did rave about how many unique quests and NPC interactions you could complete that would affect your gear/gameplay, etc.

WoW Vanilla basically took what EQ did there and massively multiplied its applications - be it quests for useful trinkets, gear, money, or exp; or even epic-type quests (think Hunter Rhok'delar). They did it really, really well, too - so much so that it outshined the quest aspect of EQ by a long shot.

But Quests were the intended focus of EQ (Ever-Quest), it was just the way people thought at the time that pure grinding (i.e. sit in dungeon X and kill as many mobs as quickly as possible) was a necessary evil and was unavoidable to make the game "challenging". WoW and a number of successors changed that thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messianic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

WoW Vanilla basically took what EQ did there and massively multiplied its applications - be it quests for useful trinkets, gear, money, or exp; or even epic-type quests (think Hunter Rhok'delar). They did it really, really well, too - so much so that it outshined the quest aspect of EQ by a long shot.

But Quests were the intended focus of EQ (Ever-Quest), it was just the way people thought at the time that pure grinding (i.e. sit in dungeon X and kill as many mobs as quickly as possible) was a necessary evil and was unavoidable to make the game "challenging". WoW and a number of successors changed that thinking.
^^THIS^^

YES! I mean, sure, I turned in, god knows how many Crushbone belts. But give me my Carrot on a Stick, I must have it! EQ = Dungeon squatting for X amount of hours, while WoW, was just do dungeon once for some gear, and then head back to questing for X amount of hours. Execept vanilla WoW, where grinding was actually the fastest method of leveling.