Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you live in one of America's inner cities?
Yes, I live in a but I got inner city 41 18.55%
Yes, I live in a crime infested inner city 35 15.84%
Yes, I live in a burning crime infested inner city 33 14.93%
Bush burned the crime infested towers 153 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Planar Protector

it depends on the overall original budget. a private entity would accomplish it at a fraction of the cost of the government. public works are cash farms for entities that can follow procedure because the consultants and designers hired by the government are generally incompetent and their designs are fraught with errors and omissions which balloon the cost of projects.

that asaide it is very sad to see Mattie departing and the reasons for his departure. I've never liked Trump's stance with respect to our allies and the hermitdom advocated by libertarians and progressives. we need to defend our friends.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is kinda cool 😎
Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think the biggest epiphany to be had is that in end, if you expect someone else to take care of you.

You will be neglected.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it depends on the overall original budget. a private entity would accomplish it at a fraction of the cost of the government. public works are cash farms for entities that can follow procedure because the consultants and designers hired by the government are generally incompetent and their designs are fraught with errors and omissions which balloon the cost of projects.

that asaide it is very sad to see Mattie departing and the reasons for his departure. I've never liked Trump's stance with respect to our allies and the hermitdom advocated by libertarians and progressives. we need to defend our friends.
Thats true but the other side of the story is government investment is needed when the market finds such investment too risky. For example, spending a ton of money to bring electricity to the poor rural south in the 30s-40s.

Other inventions include -- IDK -- the internet, television, space travel etc...

We managed to do without paying some CEO millions are year.

Just remember that when the head of one of the 6 networks we have is going on about job creators and the wonders of the private sector.

When it comes to a wall I don't trust the private sector to build it cheaper even though it could theoretically. There is too little oversight on our government right now, everyone's hand is out, and the idea that we can hire a private company without getting the pants scammed off us and making a few more CEO millionaires is pretty laughable.

Even it was slightly cheaper, so what? It's got to be a lot cheaper to justify privatization at this point. If the government is wasting money, at least some of that waste goes to overpaid workers rather than just more overpaid capitalists.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

I dont think its appropriate to compare todays government, and their (in)ability to accomplish public works feats, to the industrious government of the 30s and 40s.

In 1931, we began construction of the Hoover Dam. It was completed in 5 years and it was a revolutionary feat of civil engineering technology.

10 years ago, california residents, in a state housing more civil and technological engineering industry than pretty much any other state in the union, voted to approve a project for a high speed railway that incorporates technology that already exists in many other places in the world.

The track still does not exist, and the project has ballooned exponentially over its originally forecasted costs. The CEO of the CHSRA makes more money than the CEO of amtrak and hes managing a track that does not exist, in the most liberal state in the country.

Can we really compare public works in the early 1900s to now?
Last edited by Throndor; 12-21-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Banned

anyone who cant build a rocket will be used as fertilizer for the pocky fields in the Glorious Melonreich
Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats true but the other side of the story is government investment is needed when the market finds such investment too risky. For example, spending a ton of money to bring electricity to the poor rural south in the 30s-40s.

Other inventions include -- IDK -- the internet, television, space travel etc...

We managed to do without paying some CEO millions are year.

Just remember that when the head of one of the 6 networks we have is going on about job creators and the wonders of the private sector.

When it comes to a wall I don't trust the private sector to build it cheaper even though it could theoretically. There is too little oversight on our government right now, everyone's hand is out, and the idea that we can hire a private company without getting the pants scammed off us and making a few more CEO millionaires is pretty laughable.

Even it was slightly cheaper, so what? It's got to be a lot cheaper to justify privatization at this point. If the government is wasting money, at least some of that waste goes to overpaid workers rather than just more overpaid capitalists.
i agree on the problem of government engaging the private sector for hire to solve the problem. that was the point I was trying (but failed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ) to illustrate. when the government engages private enterprise it gets fleeced because it lacks specialized expertise and has no profit motive. And no, the inflated prices that governmental entities pay enrich capitalists as much as they do workers, if not more.

this happens because the government is largely ignorant of what it is purchasing and in an attempt at responsible fund management seeks the most competitive prices which are often the least comprehensive / honest products. the entire structure is a beacon for slimeballs.

the private sector on its own achieves much better results. the problem is getting private entities to undertake public works on their own when there is often little to no profit motive.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
anyone who cant build a rocket will be used as fertilizer for the pocky fields in the Glorious Melonreich
you're such an an extraordinary goober sometimes.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you're such an an extraordinary goober sometimes.
let's eliminate all taxes to spur technological innovation and make a great leap forward
Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
let's eliminate all taxes to spur technological innovation and make a great leap forward
Lol. It'll be like the wild wild west...but with Jetsons cars, and rocket packs! And railguns and xray glasses.
Closed Thread